Duke4.net Forums: "Headcount" How Many Map Builders For Duke Are Out There - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Headcount" How Many Map Builders For Duke Are Out There  "Just A Map Making Descussion"

User is offline   oldgamerz 

Hello I am a one of the newest members to the site and level builders in this community I was just wondering how many others decided to take the time and experiment with a map editor. For me I actually started in 2010 or 2011 but I never built a single level with the Build original editor by Ken Silverman because back in the old days I never knew how to get it running properly.

I remember the days where some online maps never used to have much detail and some of them didn't have a lot of textures that made any scene some were kinda random back then compared to now. Anyway I learned off Youtube. Mostly how to use Mapster32 I think it was the year 2010 or 2011, I am not even sure it that if the same teacher on Youtube is still even there. But just recently I brushed up on a pretty new video. I know it was not the same teacher "not sure" but starting was pretty hectic learning all the controls and tags is hard stuff the do but.

I like to create levels because once you learn the basics of level editing it starts to get fun from there.

For anyone who ever thinks of making their own levels to upload or even for themselves I highly recommend it, because once you learn it starts to become easier for you to use the level editor. But starting and to gain interest takes a lot of patients.

This post has been edited by oldgamerz: 13 November 2016 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think it'd be pretty difficult to get a head count of mappers. Not all the mappers here at Duke4.net visit frequently, plus when they do they may not see this thread. And of course not all mappers are on a forum in the first place.
Edit: Then you have the mappers that read this thread but don't bother to make a reply Posted Image

I started roughly in 2009 though, but the majority of my work has been tied up in TC's, mods, or otherwise community projects such as CBPs and collaborative episodes.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Replied as courtesy.

Would love to do a "let's map" type of series on YouTube if I had any free time, or if I was more confident at the mic (speaking is different from singing, you know!).

For some reason I think a bulk of the mappers are on 88 or other sites like that, rather than here. I'm not sure if that's actually the truth, but for some reason I this picture of the community.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 13 November 2016 - 03:35 AM, said:

Edit: Then you have the mappers that read this thread but don't bother to make a reply Posted Image

or guys like me to lazy to finish maps and publish them properly. My latest excuse is the: needs to be on Steam to actually play new user maps. I'm sure I can figure out a work around, but then I would loose my excuse. Posted Image

User is offline   Sanek 

I think it will be much easier to count how much was released lately, than making a "headcount" of active mappers. And don't forget about steam and another forums, such as cgs forums.

User is offline   Mark 

My quick guess is at least 20.

There's always me, but then again... take a look at my maps sometime, they're not that great. I've been working on one for a while now, hoping to get it done by Christmas, but maybe next year... My new computer died... But I still map, just taking my time now.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I could say I'm a mapper for DN3D, but I have never released any of my maps.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've made a map, but it was years ago and I forgot all the key commands. I can get around in mapster, but I wouldn't call myself a mapper by any means.

User is offline   Kawa 

I'm basically with Tea Monster on this. What am I even thinking?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Don't bother with this thread. Instead look through the forums, the Steam Workshop, CGS, etc. and count the number of mappers who have released something recently.

User is offline   MetHy 

I think there are more active mappers then what's been released recently. I'd say 50-100 all things considered.

User is offline   oldgamerz 

View PostHank, on 13 November 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

or guys like me to lazy to finish maps and publish them properly. My latest excuse is the: needs to be on Steam to actually play new user maps. I'm sure I can figure out a work around, but then I would loose my excuse. Posted Image

the work around is simple just navigate to your steam apps folder, and copy and paste the duke nukem 3D folder onto your desktop. Then you run the naked Eduke32 or Mapster32 without steam. I have the 3D Realms compilation, and all my games are inside the Steam Apps foder, All you need Steam for is to download the games manPosted Image

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Duke Nukem 3D

This post has been edited by oldgamerz: 13 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   neoacix 

I released 2 maps for Duke3D, the last one recently, so I'm a mapper I guess.
But I'm not sure if I'll ever going to release another one.
Point is, mappers do a map when they are in the mood to. ;-)

User is online   ck3D 

used to map *a lot* when I was younger, say age 15 to early 20's. then naturally started having less and less time due to adulthood, I still released maps for a while but at a slower pace (say one per year), contributed to a bunch of less time-consuming community projects (maps and episodes worked on by several mappers). nowadays I only have a macbook to work with which is really inconvenient for mapping, so I very rarely get to use the editor or even play the game. love it when I get too though.

I'd say I've released maybe 20-30 maps in total, but I've really made hundreds of them, lots of bad ones in my early years though. would love to get some action again !

• Honored Donor

View PostDaedolon, on 13 November 2016 - 04:59 AM, said:

For some reason I think a bulk of the mappers are on 88 or other sites like that, rather than here. I'm not sure if that's actually the truth, but for some reason I this picture of the community.

The CGS forum is dead. You might get a post there once a month and half of those are from the admin.

There isn't really anyone (any of the 4 including myself) on the amcwebforums that doesn't at least occasionally check in at Duke4.net either. Maybe Mikko.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMicky C, on 13 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

The CGS forum is dead. You might get a post there once a month and half of those are from the admin.

There isn't really anyone (any of the 4 including myself) on the amcwebforums that doesn't at least occasionally check in at Duke4.net either. Maybe Mikko.

This makes me sad. I remember the days when this forum was so active and full of life, and now it's only a memory. I have a theory that cgs was more active because of the people who don't hang out anywhere else, and that's why the majority of people visited this forum. After DNR was shut down I posted my content on cgs for about two years before I moved here. But I think guys like Mikko, reflex and Fernando is still there.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 16 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I didn't hang out there because after trying to sign up for an account, nobody ever replied.

User is offline   Shawneth 

View PostMark., on 16 November 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

I didn't hang out there because after trying to sign up for an account, nobody ever replied.

I just registered there at CGS and you're right, not too much going on. I checked over at AMC to see the old schoolers discuss some new releases, but nothing much is going on there either. Sometimes I'm jealous of the Doom community with its crazy popularity while Duke gets an odd gem once in awhile now.

User is offline   Loke 

View Postoporix, on 16 November 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

I checked over at AMC to see the old schoolers discuss some new releases, but nothing much is going on there either.

Most of the action is at the private AMC TC section or in the "Last Game You Played" thread.

View Postneoacix, on 13 November 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

I released 2 maps for Duke3D, the last one recently, so I'm a mapper I guess.
But I'm not sure if I'll ever going to release another one.
Point is, mappers do a map when they are in the mood to. ;-)

Yup. And then I bet the majority of maps are never released to the public either.

• Honored Donor

What makes you say that? Sure, there'd be a fair amount of abandoned unfinished works sitting on peoples' hard drives, but very few mappers would finish a map and then not go through the small amount of effort to put it online.

View PostMicky C, on 20 November 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

What makes you say that? Sure, there'd be a fair amount of abandoned unfinished works sitting on peoples' hard drives, but very few mappers would finish a map and then not go through the small amount of effort to put it online.

Yeah I meant mostly the first part - I think a lot of maps exist in this half-finished/not ready for publishing state and are left like that forever. I could be entirely wrong ofcourse, I don't have any data to back this hunch up.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostThedutchjelle, on 22 November 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

Yeah I meant mostly the first part - I think a lot of maps exist in this half-finished/not ready for publishing state and are left like that forever. I could be entirely wrong ofcourse, I don't have any data to back this hunch up.

It's only partially true. Sure, there's some amount of maps that was left in unfinished state, but most of the canceled maps often appear later as bits and pieces of other maps.

User is offline   ozelot47 

Interesting Question. I would say there are ca. 20 - 25 active mappers at the moment here. But i don't know how many mappers work for the AMC and in other projects and in other less known Duke Communities. I startet in 2013 with plug and pray remake and in the meanwhile I released...mhhh 9 maps i guess. I remember how bad my first maps were (The Airport X,Satellite Panic, Rennstrecken) but now I think it's ok but not perfect. I would say I'm an active mapper but on the other side I'm not sure if I will release more maps.

User is offline   David B. 

It also happens some mappers... are working on&off in the shadows.

So "active" is difficult to define.

This post has been edited by David B.: 25 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

View PostTristan, on 13 November 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

I could say I'm a mapper for DN3D, but I have never released any of my maps.

Same here. Been mapping since 2006 and haven't released a thing... well maybe that one mod demo I released back then but it's a mod with a single map and not a basic Duke map.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

What david said. I consider myself an active mapper but usually projects are more in the shadows. Slow progress or just not ready for public.

User is offline   Fulsy 

I haven't made maps since, like, 2006 when I posted a couple shitty ones on AMC, and promptly made an ass of myself because I couldn't take criticism (I was 11).

That said, I've recently been throwing some ideas around in Mapster32 for the first time in years. We'll see if they manage to form anything releasable.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postoasiz, on 15 December 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

What david said. I consider myself an active mapper but usually projects are more in the shadows. Slow progress or just not ready for public.

Same here. And I think most in these forums.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options