Duke4.net Forums: Stratum/height selection - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stratum/height selection  "Question in regards to Mapster32 function"

Hello guys,

I had a question in regards to selection of different "heights" in Mapster32. Way back in the Mac OS 9.8 era, I used a Mac Build editor called DukeEdit. This editor had a feature called "stratum", which allowed you to only see sectors and sprite within the selected Zmin and Zmax (see picture). It made sector-over-sector editing really easy compared to the spaghetti of lines it can now result in, as you could simply make floors you're not editing invisible.
I've been trying to find this feature in Mapster32, but I can't find it. I'm assuming it was never implemented in the Windows Build/Mapster32 editor ( maybe the guy who ported the Mac variant came up with it on his own) but I was wondering if such a thing exists in Mapster32, and if not, if it is technically possible to implement it?

If not, I'll have to suck it up I guess :mellow:

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT:

View PostMetHy, on 09 November 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Check the EDuke32 wiki for list of keys.

Select a sector with altgr; then press CTRL+R. It will grey out any sector not on the same height level.

Additionnaly you can use 2D/3D view mode (F3 ; change the view with Q and W)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FinishedRoom.jpg

This post has been edited by Thedutchjelle: 09 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Mapster32 shows sprites for each sector regardless. It doesn't draw sprites that belong to different sectors when dealing with SOS.

User is offline   MetHy 

Select a sector with altgr; then press CTRL+R. It will grey out any sector not on the same height level.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

...then press CTRL+R. It will grey out any sector not on the same height level.

OH...

What a fucking box of chocolates mapster is.. :mellow:

Almost should have one of those shitty win95-era "Tip of the day" dialog boxes pop up every time you start the editor.

EDIT: Also I really want to try that editor out some day.. Very few 3rd party editors exist.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 09 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah honestly that editor looks sexy as fuck with the different useful menus.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 09 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mapster is in deperate need of a graphical menu/interface. It's fine for old-timers, and while keyboard shortcuts are always faster, a graphical interface won't replace keyboard shortcuts; they'll still be around. It's mainly about younger people taking one look at the editor and going "yeah... nah."

Thank you! I found it hard to belief it wasn't included - I guess I was looking at wrong place. Again, many thanks. I will certainly have use for this :mellow:

View PostMetHy, on 09 November 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yeah honestly that editor looks sexy as fuck with the different useful menus.

The learning curve from DukeEdit to BUILD/Mapster32 was steep, but thankfully doable. DukeEdit did sadly not support 3D-editing, so I was (and still am) very happy with Mapster's capabilities :)
I've included some more screenshots I managed to dig up for you to drool over :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: AllWalls.jpg
  • Attached Image: Ceilingdoor2.jpg
  • Attached Image: Ceilingdoor5.jpg
  • Attached Image: Decorations1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Decorations3.jpg

This post has been edited by Thedutchjelle: 09 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 09 November 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

It's mainly about younger people taking one look at the editor and going "yeah... nah."

>implying younger people won't take one look at the game and go back to Minecraft

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 09 November 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

>implying younger people won't take one look at the game and go back to Minecraft

Isn't one of the reasons Doom mapping for example is still pretty popular is because it's so damn easy to use and quick to work with, compared to something like UE3?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options