Duke4.net Forums: What do we want in a new Duke game? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do we want in a new Duke game?

So what exactly do we, as a community, want to see in a new Duke game?

Personally, I want to see Gearbox do right by Duke. If they can't then I think they need to pass the IP on to someone who can. I want a game that's unapologetically Duke. I really don't want to see him fall victim to the current politically correct environment of the world. I feel like DNF was a little too immature (wall boobs); DN3D did the adult humor right without becoming too juvenile. The return of secret levels would be great; to my knowledge, DNF didn't have any. Graphic wise, I don't think its needs to be groundbreaking in any way but definitely on par with other games at the moment.

What would you guys like to see?

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Everyone will agree that Duke game shouldn't suck.

Secrets! Something I really missed from DNF. So crucial for exploring levels and bringing us a reason to replay them. Stop restricting us with scripted sequences and give us a good use for the Jetpack again.

User is offline   cybdmn 

To be true, i'm not sure if i will see a new duke game at all.

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

Engaging and diverse levels, not-so-linear gameplay, creative puzzles, clever humor and references, an ass-kicking and engaging soundtrack and, of course, lots of action.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Over-the-top monsters that can be both frightening (Octabrains) and irreverent (Liz Troopers on the toilet).

Bad-ass weapons - imagine the Wolfenstein NWO team doing Duke's armory.

Level design like that in the new Doom - where you can actually get lost while wandering around looking for perks and secrets.

Duke Nukem - not Douche Nukem.

User is offline   neznam 

microtransactions.

This post has been edited by neznam: 10 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

A semi-open Duke Nukem game in Unreal Engine 4 that recycles the concept of the 2001 versions of Duke Nukem Forever but expanded heavily. Less attempts at comedy and more badass Duke. It's cool to have humor but not constantly just like it's great to have strippers and whatever but not have it be the focus of the whole game. A high quality narrative would be great too. Nothing too complicated just enough depth and lore for the world to be interesting, the story to be worth following, and for every character in the game not to be a complete retard.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 10 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Bring back the magic. The pool table was a magical moment. To have a workable editor and the ability to edit the cons, was amagical moment. To shrink a Boss with one shot, was a magical moment. To figure out multiple ways to finish a level was a magical moment.
I would love to actually rescue a girl/boy/woman/man, alive and well. I would love to not have to fight more mindless actors in yet another FPS shooter. Make the monster smarter. Force me think a bit more. Give me an assistant or two or a team so it's more strategic to fight off the smarter enemies or groups of enemies. Hell, let me rescue my assistant(s) for starters. I could go on and on.

Duke is done, we have it, or at least I have it (can't speak for anyone except myself). The next Duke should be the next Duke, an entire new and surprisingly cool character in an entire new magical game.

User is offline   axl 

View PostTea Monster, on 09 November 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Over-the-top monsters that can be both frightening (Octabrains) and irreverent (Liz Troopers on the toilet).

Bad-ass weapons - imagine the Wolfenstein NWO team doing Duke's armory.

Level design like that in the new Doom - where you can actually get lost while wandering around looking for perks and secrets.

Duke Nukem - not Douche Nukem.

People can get lost in the new Doom?? I agree that is a fine shooter, but the level design is actually one of the weaker elements... towards the end, it was just going from one closed-off arena to the next.

Anyway, what DN3D made such a great game:

- interactivity;
- level design where it is possible to use multiple routes;
- lots of secrets (!)
- balanced gameplay;
- there can be a few jokes and humour, but it shouldn't be the main thing... in the first 3 episodes of dn3d, the humour is present, but not always in your face (the fourth episode overdid this part a bit);
- a likeable duke nukem (not like the character in DNF);

I kinda like the idea of Demolition Man (with Stallone and Snipes), where mankind is civilized while they are being overrun by aliens and they need a great action hero from the past

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Epicness of Duke3D back. Proper hard-on-your-face fps gameplay and mechanics. Designed for the PC.

Here is my wishful thinking list divided into categories.

1)Weapons:
-All weapon carry, a weapon wheel can work nicely, also have the regular long cycle
-Search, collect, and gather ammo, no damn DNF ammo bins
-Also have a huge ammo count unlike DNF
-No "aim down sights", except for maybe a sniper rifle
-Mighty Foot returns as a melee weapon, replaces "aim down sights"
-I suppose use keeping the gun stock/butt as a secondary melee weapon as well
-An expanded Glory Kill system using the Mighty Foot, gun stock/butt, fists, and other methods

2)Environment:
-Highly interactive and destructible
-Secret Places
-Designed as nonlinear with multiple ways to get to the end of the level
-Some NPCs can be encountered, also they can be killed by creatures or "accidentally" by you
-Bring back finding the babes in the levels
-Also bring back the stats screen after finishing the level
-Good music soundtrack that plays through the entire level, not orchestra music
-Maybe add some ambient music/sounds for variety
-NPCs actually are serious toned and idiots like in DNF

3)Health System:
-A hybrid of using health packs, portable medkits, and the EGO system from Manhattan Project and Land of powerupes
-Return of Atomic Health powerup
-Return of Armor power up

4)Equipment & Powerups:
-Have an expanded inventory like Duke 3D
-JETPACK!!!
-Get rid of the 40oz Beer and use the Manhattan Project force field
-Steroids/Vitamin X does what it originally did in the old Duke games, also it makes melee strikes hit harder
-Perhaps a temporary weapon double damagepowerup and infinite ammo powerup

5)Duke
-Yes a likable character, not Douche Nukem
-Less humor, more serious tone
-I'm fine with the Gearbox model, perhaps put the gold belt buckle on him
-Jon St. John still does a good voice, but he should sound more anger in it and not like a stuffy nosed Duke
-Duke isn't some all mighty god like in DNF, but more of a respected person but also comes across NPCs (civilian, military, etc.) that dislikes him too

6)Creatures:
-Good enemy AI like Halo or Left 4 Dead
-Interesting looking
-Each is unique, whether it be weapon, color, armor, attack method, ect.
-Indeed have a large assortment of enemies
-Bosses can be harmed by any means
-Have both boss and minboss type enemies

7)Other stuff:
-Good graphics
-No bugs or late pop in textures
-Everything runs smoothly and is a solid game

Well this pretty much covers what I would like to see for a future game.

Follow the example set by doom 4

Keep the world and tone serious but also self aware enough to be fun, treat duke like the badass he is and have him behave like it

Stay true to the original duke 3d, but dont be afraid to learn from 20 years of video games

User is offline   Adekis 

I've been saying for years that it'd be a great twist if Gearbox went waaay into left field and released Duke Nukem 3 as a run-and-gun platformer with an all-new cast of enemies. Frankly, Rad Rodgers looks exactly like the DN3 I've always known I've always wanted- except for the lack of Duke! So now I guess if Gearbox hit on that concept it won't be a "new" idea anymore. Aw well!

For an FPS sequel though, I'd say much the same things as everyone else on the gameplay front- interactivity, explorable and destructible environments filled with secrets, ability to carry like twenty guns with boatloads of ammo at a time- all the good stuff from the old days, recast in a new light.

As for the story, I'm frankly way past tired of the same old Duke 3D aliens that came back in Forever. He just seems to fight them a lot, so I'd like him to fight, you know, someone new! More to the point, I would also like a more serious plot with more serious characterization for Duke himself. Duke's practically a super-hero. He's got the potential to be in a good story, if they put in the effort to write it. You know how in Batman: The Brave and the Bold Batman's this unstoppable force who gets himself into increasingly insane situations, like fighting alongside a robot GI in WWII, and always greets them with a deadpan quip and a raised eyebrow? I sort of see Duke like that- the straight man to a crazy world. But with, you know, tons of guns and an ego the size of Alaska. Now put him in a story with some real pathos and a cool plot, wind him up and let him loose! But of course the story is secondary to the gameplay. I just have more to say about it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options