Duke4.net Forums: Does Gearbox hate Duke? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does Gearbox hate Duke?

Poll: Does Gearbox hate Duke? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Gearbox is handling the Duke IP as they should be?

1. Yes (2 votes [4.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

2. No (39 votes [95.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.12%

Would you support a new Duke outing by Gearbox?

1. Yes (8 votes [19.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

2. No (4 votes [9.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

3. Yes, but I think they should outsource to a more committed developer and only publish the game (9 votes [21.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

4. No, I think they should sell the Duke IP completely to a more committed developer (20 votes [48.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

I was looking around on gearbox's website to see if they were selling any duke related merchandise, but to my surprise, there is nothing there related to duke whatsoever. Link for proof http://www.shopgearb...t/?q=duke+nukem I would have thought they would at least have a few t-shirts, maybe some novelties but nope, nothing at all. Not even any items to promote Duke3D 20th WT. This and Randy Pitchford saying that Duke is "bad business" on twitter makes me think Gearbox isn't really committed to the IP they fought so hard to obtain and used to shutdown Duke Begins and Duke3D Reloaded. I hope they do right by Duke in the future or at least outsource to a developer who actually gives a shit about Duke. What do you guys think?

This post has been edited by xStayMetalx: 31 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

He said it was "bad business" but works with it anyway out of love. Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess, but the context is important.

Personally, I do have fears for the of the franchise. I mean some of the stunts that have happened over there are ridiculous. I would prefer someone else take over the IP and give it the care it rightfully needs.Here's an anology: It's like buying a classic car that has rusted to bits, it gets bought by someone new only to either leave it outside or stored in a garage. It is a matter of time if it will get restored or will rust into oblivion.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

I don't really think they hate Duke, but they have no idea how to treat the IP properly. Comunicating with fans (Duke4) should be one of their priorities. World Tour for example was a good idea, but they could've execute it better.

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 31 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

User is offline   petrus 

Duke and gaming in general, it's been all downhill since the initial Borderlands, and we had so high hopes!

I wish they would just re-create the original Duke 3D 1:1 in in a modern engine, not reloaded, like this:

It's possible to go full 3D and retain the look and feel, that would be the winning formula.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostxStayMetalx, on 31 October 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

This and Randy Pitchford saying that Duke is "bad business" on twitter makes me think Gearbox isn't really committed to the IP

You have to think from the perspective of a corporation. If they don't think they can make money from a product, they have no reason to make it. Zero. Love and fanboyism have no bearing.

That said, I don't think they bought the IP just to do nothing with it. They operate on business time, and given how the advertisement schedule for World Tour worked out, we may not see anything until soon before release, if there is anything in the pipeline after all.

they fought so hard to obtain and used to shutdown Duke Begins and Duke3D Reloaded.

Will noobs ever learn? Your timeline and basic grasp of facts here is entirely wrong. I don't feel like explaining it. Do your research.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postpetrus, on 31 October 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

Duke and gaming in general, it's been all downhill since the initial Borderlands, and we had so high hopes!

I wish they would just re-create the original Duke 3D 1:1 in in a modern engine, not reloaded, like this:

It's possible to go full 3D and retain the look and feel, that would be the winning formula.

Why haven't I seen this before???

Well now time will tell, hopefully soon. Maybe in the next year or two they'll bring out a new Duke, albeit faithful to the fans and the franchise. I do agree with Hendricks266 on how corporations work on business time, but it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge to the world 'there will be a new game' instead of leaving it open air and it would be completely stupid to buy the IP to release one game and not to release new ones into the franchise.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

They could have some fun with a tag-line to World Tour in a Bondian vein "Duke will return soon in (insert name of Duke Nukem V)."

I think if they hadn't just done such a shoddy job on World Tour, it might not have been such bad business.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Gearbox absolutely hates Duke, thats why they spent millions to get the IP so noone else could have fun

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 October 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

He said it was "bad business" but works with it anyway out of love. Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess, but the context is important.

That was probably the best answer he could give. But of course he expected it would be a good business with that price.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 31 October 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

They could have some fun with a tag-line to World Tour in a Bondian vein "Duke will return soon in (insert name of Duke Nukem V)."

I think if they hadn't just done such a shoddy job on World Tour, it might not have been such bad business.

Plus so completely and utterly misjudged the market. $20 for 2 hours of content (for a 20 year old game with mod tools) is steep no matter which way you look at it. You could have a great product but if you don't take the market into consideration you're in big trouble.

I also don't think they hate Duke. They want to make money off it, simple as that. That'll probably mean pandering to the lowest common denominator though...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 31 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't think Gearbox hates Duke. It looks like they're exercising caution because they don't want to lose any more money on the whole fiasco (DNF and everything else inclusive) than they already have. I think that if Duke merch made financial sense at this time then their store would have some for sale. Who knows how long all the DNF merch they had produced sat around after the game's poor reception by critics? If various eBay listings are to be believed, they were still giving some of it away at stuff like PAX 4 years after the fact. Would you spend a bunch of money on having stuff like that produced if the last time you did, you ended up taking a loss on it? I wouldn't!

Regardless, they have actually been communicating with us, though it's mostly behind the scenes at this point. I'd say there are probably half a dozen or so Duke-related emails between us every week at this point, about more than just bugs in World Tour. ;)

User is offline   Wolf 

View PostTerminX, on 31 October 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

[...] I'd say there are probably half a dozen or so Duke-related emails between us every week at this point, about more than just bugs in World Tour. ;)

User is offline   Hank 

I was looking around on gearbox's website to see...

try google instead.
https://www.google.c...e+nukem+t-shirt

as for the rest of the post: No clue how Gearbox feels about Duke, never met any of them, someone should stay away from twitter and singing though. And since they have no coherent PR, I ain't not gonna guess, positive or negative. Yet I reiterate what I wrote before on other posts, Duke Nukem is good business. World Tour is fixable, and it is modable. The future could be super.

Well after reading what TerminX said, i do feel somewhat relieved. Also as hank pointed about World Tour is a valid point. So fingers crossed.

User is offline   neznam 

I don't think the Duke IP belongs in the hands of any company this big.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I don't think Gearbox hates Duke, but I think they're incompetent as fuck.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostStriker, on 01 November 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

I don't think Gearbox hates Duke, but I think they're incompetent as fuck.

This. This 120%

View PostTerminX, on 31 October 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't think Gearbox hates Duke. It looks like they're exercising caution because they don't want to lose any more money on the whole fiasco (DNF and everything else inclusive) than they already have. I think that if Duke merch made financial sense at this time then their store would have some for sale. Who knows how long all the DNF merch they had produced sat around after the game's poor reception by critics? If various eBay listings are to be believed, they were still giving some of it away at stuff like PAX 4 years after the fact. Would you spend a bunch of money on having stuff like that produced if the last time you did, you ended up taking a loss on it? I wouldn't!

Regardless, they have actually been communicating with us, though it's mostly behind the scenes at this point. I'd say there are probably half a dozen or so Duke-related emails between us every week at this point, about more than just bugs in World Tour. ;)

DNF merchs? Such as? Gotta nab 'em while they're still hot.

User is offline   cybdmn 

I didn't think GB hates Duke, i think they just don't know what they should do with Duke. Duke is an iconic Character from the 90ies, with strong influences from the 80ies action movies. Both do not fit in todays culture, not in movies, and not in games. If they make another Duke 3d-ish game, media, and maybe big portion of todays gamers will shred it.
If they make a more CoD-ish game out of it, it won't be Duke anymore.
Maybe the Doom 2106 route is an option... but that won't be Duke either.

User is offline   ---- 

GBX needs to pull a DooM 2016 with Duke. But of course with different gameplay.

Something that really suprises in a positive way, although everybody thinks it will turn out bad.

And, they need to stray away from the huge "cinematic" approach. You can save a lot of money, if you do the cutscenes with static objects like a helicopter (or spaceship) that are moved around abit, the right sounds played then and some nice camera angels. That's how they did it with SS-BFE and it worked. All they needed then were some animations, where Sam walked around and talked into his headset.
It can then be a midbudget or A or AA-Title.
It needs some unique gameplay that fits the game and mood, like SW2013 had the unique focus on 1st person melee or DooM 2016 the glory kills.

I don't htink a new Duke game needs special animations for ladder climbing, turning screws out of vents when shrunk or all that, like they had in DNF. They need gameplay first, that resembles the old action movies and add something unique to the gunplay.

EDIT:
Oh, they really need 10 weapons at once in Duke's arse-anal. And that should be weapons that don't need to be reloaded after i fired a full magazine of the ripper into one pint sized enemy which then still has 80% of it's health.

SW (original) had the sword and they took that to the center of the gameplay in the reboot. What could be done with Duke? He hfor example had two unique weapon: Shrinker and Freezer. They could be expanded (just an idea): Doors that can't be opened? Ha, freeze the door and destroy it then to get to that secret area. Enemies taking cover behind crates? Ha, shrink that crate and kill him. Unreachable ledges? Ha, expand that car in front of it and get to the ledge for the Devestator.

The quick kick could for example have a charge mode.Charge and kick objects like cars around about 20 meters and couse some carnage that way.

Ramp up the overkill, I say. ;)

Or something like that.

EDIT 2:

They could also add a strong female protagonist, like originally planned with Bombshell, to silence the politically correct gender equality feminist agenda folks. Give her a strong personality and make her playable in Coop and multiplayer.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 02 November 2016 - 02:29 AM

• Honored Donor

I like the Austin Powers approach that someone here has mentioned a few times. Like Duke is frozen in the 80's and comes back to find everything he says and does is politically incorrect. Some humour can be drawn from that, plus it makes it more acceptable if they're kind of treating it as a thing that's outdated yet self aware. Not to mention it would be nice to have Duke be in a serious world, unlike DNF where everyone was a sex-obsessed idiot.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMicky C, on 02 November 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

... everyone was a sex-obsessed idiot.

Hey, what's wrong with being that? ;)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 02 November 2016 - 03:57 AM

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 November 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

DNF merchs? Such as? Gotta nab 'em while they're still hot.

I checked on 2k Games site and they have one shirt, only available in men's small and they're still selling copies of DNF. For $20.

View Postfuegerstef, on 02 November 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

EDIT 2:

They could also add a strong female protagonist, like originally planned with Bombshell, to silence the politically correct gender equality feminist agenda folks. Give her a strong personality and make her playable in Coop and multiplayer.

I really like your ideas but the whole "appealing to feminists" thing just turns me off. They have hated Duke for years, a playable female wouldn't just make them happy all of a sudden. For them to be satisfied, anything and everything that has to do with sex and women would need to be taken out. And that wouldn't be Duke at all. So essentially for them to be happy, Duke would have to die. You know they will always find something to complain about. Give them a playable female in Duke's world and they will complain about how they're character is being "objectified". They're the wrong demographic for Duke anyway.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

You guys ask too much from incompetent company which made only two worthwhile things for their entire existence: HL expansions. And although Doom 4 is crap compared to Duke 3D or original Doom, they wouldn't make even something on that level. Gearbox clearly need right direction and you could say that about absolutely every franchise they own. I hope their cooperation with TX will help the community greatly.

Also, there will be Bombshell game anyway, from competent people though and this one won't be another feminazi/libtard bait game either.

• Honored Donor

View Postfuegerstef, on 02 November 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

Hey, what's wrong with being that? :D

Because I felt absolutely no motivation to save a world full of shallow idiots. In fact I'd be perfectly content to let the world burn. I realize this sounds incredibly dark but obviously I'm referring to this happening within a video game and not real life ;)

It's like the new Ghostbusters movie, you can't have everyone be the comic relief. You need some degree of seriousness for there to be contrast, allowing the humour to work. IMO it would work best if the world was entirely serious, yet Duke blasts through cracking one-liners.

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 November 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

there will be Bombshell game anyway

Your wording implies there isn't one already. Trying hard to forget it eh? Posted Image

Personally, I think Duke should be the straight man to Dylan's funny man act. Like, Duke's completely serious about his one-liners in-universe but it's funny for us because context whereas Dylan meant his lines as jokes in-universe.

• Honored Donor

Sure, you can have one Dylan. But the rest of the people in the world need to be serious, smart, and relatable.

I agree Duke should be serious in his one liners too. He's not saying them to impress others or trying to be funny, he's simply talking to himself under his breath. That's how I always viewed it. In DNF, Duke seemed to be trying too hard because he was putting on a show.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options