Duke4.net Forums: Polymer still a bit problematic? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer still a bit problematic?

User is offline   vitekr 

I have always just used Polymost ever since I discovered eduke32(64bit), because the last time I tried Polymer it was a bit of a mess and too slow on my system from then. I am on a big duke kick again right now, and im just wondering the status of Polymer currently. I am using the very latest version of eduke32+ the HRP and I notice Polymer does weird things, has weird performance.

I am just wondering, and its hard to find talk on here about it as most similar posts ive discovered via search are from a year or more ago, should I consider Polymer still somewhat not ready for the spotlight? I am fine either way, Polymost has been good to me for quiet some time. But polymer is real pretty... if its still problematic then I wont start the process of figuring out whats going on and making it work however.

User is offline   neoacix 

Short answer: Polymer is going to be replaced by PolymerNG, which will be much faster (and probably even better in terms of quality).
But atm, the main developer on this project needs to rest for some time....

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

PolymerNG will be much faster, but to say it'll be better in terms of quality is kind of a stretch, unless your sole definition of quality is how many pixel shader effects something has.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Are you implying that it will be inferior to polymer in some aspects when it's finished? The only downside I'm aware of at the moment is that icecoldduke is uncertain about whether TROR will be entirely glitch-free. I'm hoping he can find some way to get it working.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Polymer at the moment is pretty broken, unless certain bugs get fixed, it's a mess from a performance and usability standpoint. Plus shaders don't work correctly for models.

If PolymerNG would work as advertised, and models looked like they should do, that would be a huge bonus. Last I heard though, icecoldduke was asking for us to fund his salary for a year to complete it, so don't hold your breath.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 30 October 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

Polymer at the moment is pretty broken, unless certain bugs get fixed, it's a mess from a performance and usability standpoint. Plus shaders don't work correctly for models.

If PolymerNG would work as advertised, and models looked like they should do, that would be a huge bonus. Last I heard though, icecoldduke was asking for us to fund his salary for a year to complete it, so don't hold your breath.

Whoa, where did you read this? The closest thing I've read that he said something along the lines of instead of Gearbox writing their own renderer, they should have paid icecoldduke 3 months salary to finish polymerNG so they could use that instead. He didn't say he needed the money to continue working on it. He simply meant that it would take that amount of time and money to finish it when working full-time. That doesn't mean he won't work on it in his free time like he has in the past. Were you thinking of a different post, or perhaps a private communication?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 October 2016 - 01:40 AM

User is offline   vitekr 

Thank you all for your input. Its not that it runs super bad for me, its more that its inconsistent. I have a fancy 144hz monitor with the blur reduction stuff, and unless something gets at least 90~FPS it causes major ugliness. Polymer, well, doesnt though in some maps it does. Also, just this morning E4M1 floors literally disappeared and became skyboxes for me with Polymer so lol maybe that is a cosmic sign that I should just wait for this NG before getting all fancy ;)

How does World Tours 3d engine stack up? I have heard surprising little about it in comparison to Polymer/Polymost.

Also, I love anyone who does this kind of stuff. These games(classic games like duke/doom/quake and so forth) are the games that most modern stuff wishes it could be and the folk and communities who create and maintain sourceports and modern updates for classic games just because they love them so much and have the talents are some of my favorite humans.

This post has been edited by vitekr: 30 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

What is your hardware and os out of curiosity?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options