Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Reboot? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Reboot?  "Maybe it's time to go the same route as DOOM 2016..."

The new DOOM game did a tremendous job in rebooting a franchise that was dormant for too long, so why can't Duke? Who could actually be competent at making a Duke Nukem Reboot? What would you like the gameplay, oneliners, Duke's personality and graphical tones to be in this hypothetical reboot?

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Since Duke3D was a Doom clone with a personality back in the 90s, Duke being a Doom clone again would make sense and would actually be a great game.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Duke can with Gearbox cause Gearbox are definitely not capable of making a game that good and I don't know if anyone else could either.
Flying Wild Hog may be able to make something close like they did with SW2, but just like Gearbox"Feminism is Awesome"Software, they don't have a tough enough spine for the Duke personality.

But if it did happen, I'd pretty much like the game to be the same as Doom 4 gameplay wise, but with the Duke interactivity & personality thrown in and it could even be merged with Doom 4's glory kill system, like say Duke performs a glory kill on a Trooper sitting on a toilet by shoving it's head in the toilet, or getting creative with the interactive environment, the possibilities for Duke glory kills are endless.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I would like to see an Ego system that's not just a lame excuse for not wearing power armor. More Manhattan Project and less DNF. With extra bonusses for ridiculous stuff like shrinking enemies and then dropping shit on them to squish them.

Another thing I would like to see is a rage mode. Next time some aliens steal Duke's chicks or beer, he'd enter rage mode and literally rip their heads off. Don't just let Duke talk angry, let him be angry and destroy shit until he somewhat calms down.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostxMobilemux, on 26 October 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

Flying Wild Hog may be able to make something close like they did with SW2, but just like Gearbox"Feminism is Awesome"Software, they don't have a tough enough spine for the Duke personality.

I don't know about that, with SW2 they could have gone the new Doom route but instead sank themselves deeper into the Serious Sam/Painkiller style.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Gearbox don't have a hope in hell of producing anything like the new Doom. To be fair, we thought that Id were all washed up till the single player campaign launched.
They would have to farm it out to someone who gave a damn. Even if they did that, the track record with Gearbox out-of-house projects is kinda grim.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

With how Battleborn has turned out for them, I don't see Gearbox taking any chance with Duke; at most, a couple 'remasters' ala World Tour, but I don't know if they'd want to spend the millions on making something big.
I also don't think the writers at Gearbox have shown they could do Duke justice; the crap I overhear from their other projects wouldn't work at all.
So yeah, they would definitely need to source it out to another dev, I just don't know if Gearbox would be willing to pay a competent AAA studio to do it.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

In a perfect world, the Duke community could come together and design the next Duke game's design doc. and then have a game studio that doesn't suck develop the game for us.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

In an absolute perfect world, we don't have to do jack and we get the perfect Duke game anyway!

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTristan, on 27 October 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

In a perfect world, the Duke community could come together and design the next Duke game's design doc ...

Which in this would would turn out to be horrible because of the many different preferences and ideas of the various people.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 27 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options