Duke4.net Forums: Is this the Duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this the Duke?

So last year, Gearbox made the announcement of a new Duke game and concept images were made. Is Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour that game or they are working on a brand new Duke game? Forgive me if this sounds stupid, I was just looking for a way to clear a few things up. Thank you to anyone who has any knowledge on the subject.

Gearbox are still working on a new Duke game (I hope), so this was basically just them re-releasing their own version of Duke Nukem 3D.

I hope they are and I think your right. I mean they just added another episode to the game with different levels and not really much else. Albeit: render, lighting, dialogue, weapon, and one new enemy and final boss. So I really don't where much concept art would have to be made.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Gearbox are likely outsourcing Duke

User is offline   LkMax 

Gearbox might or might not be working on a new duke game. The only thing we can be sure of is that if it sees the light of day it's gonna suck harder than World Tour, so don't hold your breath. ;)

Randy on Twitter mentioned "Duke isn't good business. This was done out of love." I'm having trouble finding the tweet right now but after reading that I've just learned not to expect another proper Duke. Duke 3D was just too good of a game.

User is offline   Wolf 

View Posthismasterplan, on 24 October 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Randy on Twitter mentioned "Duke isn't good business. This was done out of love." [...]

I remember that tweet, as well. I was actually a bit impressed when I read that.

I think we've already determined that, even estimating for non-steam sales of WT, they haven't made a profit on the re-release. If they put out some patches despite this, then Randy will have gained some respect from me.
On that same note, if he for some reason decided to release WT's engine source code some time in the future, he would have all my respect.

I digress, you do have a good point about the first part of the statement. "Duke isn't good business," and it's not likely it ever will be again unless we see a gearbox-approved studio willing to do a budget Duke game that meets with a lot of success.

User is offline   Hank 

View Posthismasterplan, on 24 October 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Randy on Twitter mentioned "Duke isn't good business. This was done out of love." I'm having trouble finding the tweet right now but after reading that I've just learned not to expect another proper Duke. Duke 3D was just too good of a game.

here is the twitter
https://twitter.com/...844947856625664

As for the Duke game; I say it's cursed by the laquanrol spirit. (a.k.a. Lack of quality control)
I see this in my own business everyday. Nose high, dramatic excuses and whining why one is swimming in a pool of shit. Posted Image

added @ Wolf,
Duke is good business, IMO. 8k sales on steam alone, not counting PS4 and XBox. For a 20 year old game, and the major flaws right now, it's good. Almost every gamer has already a version of Duke; and people still are willing to spend $20 for an extension.

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Personal I see going through a lot of stuff. First they have the new Quebec studio starting so that would bring in a lot of headaches. They have shift, patches for DNWT to be produced, I imagine theres stuff going on with Battleborn, another Borderlands, maybe another Brothers in Arms, who knows what else they have going on down there. Hopefully within say the next year or two we will see a brand new Duke outing, a better one than DNF all around but maybe not as Duke 3D but enough to warrant more Duke. I can see where "Duke isn't good business", as today peolpe are a lot more sensitive to things and the atmosphere of Duke wouldn't settle well in house-holds versus about 10-20 years ago. On the other hand, I think Gearbox can indeed make a good Duke game. Peolpe should stop bashing Gearbox and Randy for one thing. If I were the CEO of a company that constantly got bashed because of a carry-over product that was revived and saved out of respect and to end turmoil for a better future. I for one wouldnt touch the IP (for a while at least) if all that's peolpe would do is try to down grade and make it seem like the worst place in the world.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 24 October 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Personal I see going through a lot of stuff. First they have the new Quebec studio starting so that would bring in a lot of headaches. They have shift, patches for DNWT to be produced, I imagine theres stuff going on with Battleborn, another Borderlands, maybe another Brothers in Arms, who knows what else they have going on down there. Hopefully within say the next year or two we will see a brand new Duke outing, a better one than DNF all around but maybe not as Duke 3D but enough to warrant more Duke. I can see where "Duke isn't good business", as today peolpe are a lot more sensitive to things and the atmosphere of Duke wouldn't settle well in house-holds versus about 10-20 years ago. On the other hand, I think Gearbox can indeed make a good Duke game. Peolpe should stop bashing Gearbox and Randy for one thing. If I were the CEO of a company that constantly got bashed because of a carry-over product that was revived and saved out of respect and to end turmoil for a better future. I for one wouldnt touch the IP (for a while at least) if all that's peolpe would do is try to down grade and make it seem like the worst place in the world.

GB isn't any saint, their last good game is arguably HL Blue Shift and even those two HL1 addons compared to Valve's own original HL, you can see some trademark sloppyness from gearbox there. There are multiple spots where you have water running down, only thing is that they didn't bother putting the sounds for these waters while in Valve's HL1 I haven't really found any spots where there would be running water but not sound of it.

Then you have the thing that gearbox haven't bothered to comment at all on the topic that why there is no DNF modding tools. Least they could do is make some sort of statement about the thing. Also ACM was nice complete lying on the marketing if you look at that original E3 video and compared it to the released product..

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 24 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   Hank 

@ AP Dukefan94
I'm not bashing the entire Gearbox, but I do see room for improvement of the game I've just got.
A leading person of an entertainment firm, either knows how to handle fans or let a PR guy do it for him/her. If you do not wish to get into the thick of things, stay away from twitter and don't sing silly songs etc.

I would touch that golden IP like in yesterday. Hang with imaginative people, test out new ideas, dream and then go for it. This IP is simply perfect to do more exiting FPS shooters with. ;)

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

@Hank
I do agree with you, I just want to see Duke succeed once more. Gearbox may have its issues, but what company doesnt, none are perfect. Now I would like to know what one really could do exciting with more FPS Duke, i have some ideas of my own. Maybe we should create new thread for that, what do you say? What would you do with FPS Duke?

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 24 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostWolf, on 24 October 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

I remember that tweet, as well. I was actually a bit impressed when I read that.

I think we've already determined that, even estimating for non-steam sales of WT, they haven't made a profit on the re-release. If they put out some patches despite this, then Randy will have gained some respect from me.
On that same note, if he for some reason decided to release WT's engine source code some time in the future, he would have all my respect.

I digress, you do have a good point about the first part of the statement. "Duke isn't good business," and it's not likely it ever will be again unless we see a gearbox-approved studio willing to do a budget Duke game that meets with a lot of success.

I disagree with Randy on this, I believe Duke is a good business. Let's face it, visually World Tour looks like the Doom mods that are daily posted. That's not appealing to the market.

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 24 October 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

As for the HL1 mods

Official expansion packs ;)

I mean the 1998, 2001, and Jace Hall show footage I studied, looked a lot better than one we have. So yeh, 3D Realms lied about innovations and it living up to and surpass Duke 3D, which it didnt.

Actually, Fred from Interceptor Ent has stated on these very forums that when they found the old DNF 2001 etc builds after buying 3D Realms, they indeed were pretty freakin cool. So 3DR may have not lied, it's just that we the public have never gotten access to these versions of DNF. We didn't even get the Doom 3 DNF, all we have to go for is DNF 2011, this Halo of Duty or whatever it is.

And for mod tools, the DNF engine probably has major bugs in it from 3DR over the years, thus making mod tools impractical.Now how about someone asking them now since Word Tour is out and about and Duke is in the air about DNF mod tools.

If GB truly has any passion for this franchise, then they will take the first step and announce something about the modding tools. Be it "we will never release modding tools" or whatever, hopefully something is given because it's really annoying how Randy keeps saying this and that how "duke is totally what we love here" but then they just leave big things like these, totally un-answered.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

>2011 + 5
>Asking Gearbox about DNF mod tools

Come on, guys.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostHendricks266, on 24 October 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

>2011 + 5
>Asking Gearbox about DNF mod tools

> <current year>
> Hoping for a good Duke game (if any at all) with Gearbox hands on the franchise.

People like to get disappointed.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 25 October 2016 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Of course Duke isn't a good business when you treat him like shit. Actually, I could say the same almost about everything what Gearbox did for their entire existence. At this point I think they don't love money either.

And screw Duke Nukem Forever mod tools, what they have to do is give people unreleased Duke Nukem stuff. I'd rather take that even though it likely will never happen.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Everyone knows that mod tools for DNF aren't going to happen. After being promised them for 13 years of development, I think we are at least due an explanation as to why they never were released, rather than just silence.

Sledgehammer - I'd love a new Duke Game, but after how WT was made, I'm seriously wondering if it will be worth it.

Oh, and this hypothetical new Duke game will also probably ship with no trace of mod tools either.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 25 October 2016 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostTea Monster, on 25 October 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

Oh, and this hypothetical new Duke game will also probably ship with no trace of mod tools either.

FTFY.
Has any recent Gearbox title been released with mod tools?

This post has been edited by LkMax: 25 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

To be honest, level design in WT is way better than in most modern or even all FPS games so if they hired Blum with Levelord and if they made Duke Nukem with PC in mind, I would pre-order such new Duke game, but the world isn't perfect, unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't consider DN3D the best FPS ever made to this day. At best if they going to make one, I bet they give it to SW developers or SS developers (and that would actually work, it worked for both new SW games and SS games).

Ironically Gearbox could make WT the best possible Duke Nukem 3D version as I mentioned in WT thread and that would sell like hotcakes (I would buy several copies for my friends), they just don't give a shit or just incompetent if not even both. That's the thing about Duke being bad business, they expect people to be dumb and eat the shit Gearbox is doing, but looks like people are smarter than that and you can say the same about several Gearbox games such as Battleborn or Borderlands pre-sequel. Gearbox could easily make good new Duke Nukem game if the truly cared and it would sell beyond their expectations.

But overall, I still think it's not worth it because no one can pull something at least as great as DN3D except maybe fans themselves who truly love Duke, I just don't believe it's possible with current industry or especially Gearbox. It's like Sonic games, no one can make Sonic game on the level of classic games except fans themselves, the same can be said almost about every game franchise actually. Perhaps it was a miracle that 3DR actually produced DN3D the way it is, especially if we consider that it was supposed to be some Doom clone at first. Will see how good Duke Nukem Mania Bombshell pre-sequel going to be, maybe we'll get something really worthy of Duke this time.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 25 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTea Monster, on 25 October 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

World Tour didn't even come with mod tools!

View PostSledgehammer, on 25 October 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

To be honest, level design in WT is way better than in most modern or even all FPS games so if they hired Blum with Levelord and if they made Duke Nukem with PC in mind, I would pre-order such new Duke game, but the world isn't perfect, unfortunately, otherwise I wouldn't consider DN3D the best FPS ever made to this day. At best if they going to make one, I bet they give it to SW developers or SS developers (and that would actually work, it worked for both new SW games and SS games).

Ironically Gearbox could make WT the best possible Duke Nukem 3D version as I mentioned in WT thread and that would sell like hotcakes (I would buy several copies for my friends), they just don't give a shit or just incompetent if not even both. That's the thing about Duke being bad business, they expect people to be dumb and eat the shit Gearbox is doing, but looks like people are smarter than that and you can say the same about several Gearbox games such as Battleborn or Borderlands pre-sequel. Gearbox could easily make good new Duke Nukem game if the truly cared and it would sell beyond their expectations.

But overall, I still think it's not worth it because no one can pull something at least as great as DN3D except maybe fans themselves who truly love Duke, I just don't believe it's possible with current industry or especially Gearbox. It's like Sonic games, no one can make Sonic game on the level of classic games except fans themselves, the same can be said almost about every game franchise actually. Perhaps it was a miracle that 3DR actually produced DN3D the way it is, especially if we consider that it was supposed to be some Doom clone at first. Will see how good Duke Nukem Mania Bombshell pre-sequel going to be, maybe we'll get something really worthy of Duke this time.

I feel the level design was slipping a bit in comparison to the original 4 episodes. I could be entirely wrong, but it felt like Blum and Levelord were not making these levels with Dukematch in mind. They are indeed still better than most FPS levels we see nowadays, but are still a far cry from what we had 20 years ago. I had played Shadow Warrior 2013 and I remember most of the levels being pretty linear, so I don't know if they improved that in Shadow Warrior 2.

I personally don't think we'll ever see a Duke game the same quality as Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition. It was released at the right place and the right time. The only shot we had of that was the 2001 version of Duke Nukem Forever, but alas it was never meant to be. The same with Sonic games as with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which are both currently in my top 2 favourite games of all-time. I just expect a modern Duke game to be at least decent, which I feel are realistic expectations.

That's pretty much what I said, this world isn't perfect enough to get real Duke 3D sequel. But if new Duke game had maps of the same quality, it would be a good FPS game and it would beat the rest of modern FPS games because of better level design alone, everyone just dropped the ball there. If they really going to make next Duke Nukem game, they should hire Blum and Levelord again, Jackson too for the music, perhaps.

And in case of Sonic, Mania looks very promising for now because SEGA allowed competent fans to develop it and these fans love it, the people who know how to make good level design or classic physics unlike modern Sonic Team and the people who know how to make great animation (some of these people worked on Sonic 2 HD). People already calling it a true Sonic 3&K sequel.

It seems like Sonic is the only franchise which is getting good treatment, after all these years full of awful/bugged to death games we're getting classic Sonic game with proper classic physics. One thing is worrying me though, it has more remastered levels than new (guess SEGA testing the water, plus Generations sold a lot thanks to nostalgia as well), although it's bigger than Generations.

Would be nice if Gearbox copied SEGA in that regard like they did with their Duke Nukem Twitter account and allowed TX, Hendricks and many other people to handle at least Duke 3D re-release, and, as I said, a lot of people would definitely buy HTTKC+WT edition. Who knows, we could get even good and working multiplayer on EDuke32.

I really want a new Duke story. Really anything new would make me happy. Hell, I'd even settle for a 3rd person venture like Time to Kill/Land of the Babes/Zero-Hour.

In really curious to know what HTTKC would have looked liked especially since Duke 64 & Total Meltdown were going to be included. Would they have been their own episodes or actually the full games with their graphics and sounds tagging along with the Duke 3D Megaton Version? Or was all the Duke Games were going to be released in one bundle? Also why was it canceled?

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 25 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's possible Gearbox released the new episode to test the water on how a modern audience would react to relatively old-school level design. If so, then it obviously "failed" the test, but mainly for the (relatively) very high price and just all-round laziness. So let's hope they don't cross the wires when reviewing why the game failed.

While some might argue that Gearbox brought original developers back as fan service, judging from the laziness and poor quality/quality control of some aspects, it's far more likely they're simply trying to milk the fans. You don't end up with the final boss we ended up with when you're trying to make fans (or indeed anyone) happy. Gearbox knew that after all the releases over the years the only hope in hell of this thing selling half decently was the nostalgia of the new episode, and it turns out even that isn't enough given the variety of factors involved.

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 25 October 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Also why was it canceled?

Because we don't deserve good things, lazy cashgrab re-release is all what we worth, should be happy that we at least got new episode by old guys and music.

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 24 October 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

I can see where "Duke isn't good business", as today peolpe are a lot more sensitive to things and the atmosphere of Duke wouldn't settle well in house-holds versus about 10-20 years ago. On the other hand, I think Gearbox can indeed make a good Duke game. Peolpe should stop bashing Gearbox and Randy for one thing. If I were the CEO of a company that constantly got bashed because of a carry-over product that was revived and saved out of respect and to end turmoil for a better future. I for one wouldnt touch the IP (for a while at least) if all that's peolpe would do is try to down grade and make it seem like the worst place in the world.

However, we have GTA5 as one of the best selling games of all time and it's very close to Duke's treatment of women, as well as the innuendo. We had one of the most violent episodes on cable TV with Walking Dead the other night and people eat it up. Duke's business is fine, but it has to be run right. This may go in the unpopular opinions thread, but I would be fine if the sex was dialed back in future Duke's. At least to the point DN3D was. Because it was so new to see a naked lady back then, that memory was blown out of proportion. If I were to set the tone for the next Duke game, I'd follow Duke 64.

It's not like Duke game with violence and sex can't be released and wouldn't be profitable, if anything, they wouldn't have to waste money on marketing, insane attention from retarded "journalists" would do the job easily, see Hatred which was successful although this game is nothing more than a copy of Postal.

Again, anything is a bad business when you treat it like shit.

Yeh, I'm convinced about Gearbox and the stunts that have gone over there. I mean really, I do fear more for the next Duke outing if it ever happens. Now I wish I could hit the Powerball and buy the Duke IP myself and restore order to the brand.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options