Duke4.net Forums: Lunatic Fringe - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lunatic Fringe  "Lunatic Fringe bug"

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

There is a weird bug on Lunatic Fringe, sometimes when you go around the map, enemies tend to disappear or teleport somewhere else while they're still kinda there. I mean they can still see you and make noises like shooting, but you still can't see them or kill them, not even with explosion weapons and they can't hurt you either. But when you go around several times again, they may appear again. Plus, the game lags on my laptop on this map for several minutes when you look toward center, yesterday it also teleported me on opposite side of the map when I entered it for the first time and in few minutes the game just crashed, possibly because of lags.

Don't think I had this issue in original game or even in Megaton (or maybe I was just lucky) and unfortunately I don't remember the last stable build where it was fine, need to get my hands on my PC to find out. I'm playing with polymost.

View PostSledgehammer, on 22 October 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

There is a weird bug on Lunatic Fringe, sometimes when you go around the map, enemies tend to disappear or teleport somewhere else while they're still kinda there. I mean they can still see you and make noises like shooting, but you still can't see them or kill them, not even with explosion weapons and they can't hurt you either. But when you go around several times again, they may appear again. Plus, the game lags on my laptop on this map for several minutes when you look toward center, yesterday it also teleported me on opposite side of the map when I entered it for the first time and in few minutes the game just crashed, possibly because of lags.

Don't think I had this issue in original game or even in Megaton (or maybe I was just lucky) and unfortunately I don't remember the last stable build where it was fine, need to get my hands on my PC to find out. I'm playing with polymost.

I can also confirm it happens in Polymost for me, too. Maybe the fixed Polymost skies are causing it?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sounds like the area has SOS and the enemies are getting moved to a different sector with the same X Y coords.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Your choice of renderer should not affect the game state...

That said, if enemies are phasing between overlapping sectors, that's a bug.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 22 October 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

I can also confirm it happens in Polymost for me, too. Maybe the fixed Polymost skies are causing it?

No, I played without mods and it happened too, I experienced this long time ago, anyway.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 22 October 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

Sounds like the area has SOS and the enemies are getting moved to a different sector with the same X Y coords.

Pretty much my first thought.

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostSledgehammer, on 23 October 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

I experienced this long time ago, anyway.

Probably because this bug is exisiting since the DOS version!

Example: when entering the map, go the ledge in front of you, crouch down and wriggle left-right to teleport to the alien side (it seems to work one-way).

I tested in the V1.3D version:
Posted Image

Still standing on a ledge, when you shoot, you projectiles can appear on the other side:
Posted Image

But in EDuke, it seems to happen more often, sometimes you can teleport suddlently, when you're overlapping the actor that are in the other side. Or the monsters that are teleporting all alone. The problem is that is difficult to reproduce in EDuke, it usually happen when you least expect it.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

This is probably an instance updatesector just throws up its hands and says fuck it.

User is online   Mark 

Hey Mblackwell, this thread reminded me of the problem we had in Decay with some zombies in the hospital and highway maps were going through blocked wall rooms, and even across void space. It happened randomly and I never did figure out a way to stop it. I had one instance of it in the HH remake I'm working on but it went away one day for whatever reason. That time it was in an ROR area.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Yeah, I don't recall if it was ROR in DECAY. It was a thing though, and ridiculous and random.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

When it comes to bugs like this (or the newbeast AI bug), first we need a small isolated test case such as a map or specific instructions of how to trigger the bug quickly in an existing map, and then we need to bisect revisions to see when the problem starts. Game-state stuff like this is tricky because sometimes something may depend on the behavior that is undesirable in this circumstance.

You're not the only one to report this: http://bugs.eduke32....ails&task_id=20

User is offline   Darkus 

I made a map that can reproduce the bug at 100%, it consists of two rooms (blue and red) superimposed and connected by a corridor.

Attached File  testsos.zip (631bytes)
Number of downloads: 99

In the blue room, stand on the edge, to the empty side and crouch down like this:

Posted Image

Now move to the inside while staying crouched, when you cross the sector, you'll be automatically teleported into the red room:

Posted Image

It works every time you're in the blue room, and not in the red one.

User is online   Mark 

I know these pics from Decay don't do much to help solve the problem but they show where it happened the most. Somehow zombies were crossing over void space to get from point A to point B.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0020.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt0021.jpg

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options