Duke4.net Forums: [REL] Dracula's Castle - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[REL] Dracula's Castle  "Halloween map by me"

User is offline   Jblade 

This map was made for the Duke Spook'em add-on but I'm releasing it now as a standalone demo map - when that mod is done there'll be a different tweaked version in that. Designed in and looks best in Classic mode. Micky and Mikko beta tested the map.

Story
Duke Nukem gets shot down by a Science experiment gone wrong near Dracula's Castle - get in and make the bastards pay for rising your flight insurance premium yet again.

Download
Two versions, one that works with vanilla Duke and one for Eduke32. I have tested the vanilla version in World Tour and it does work but IIRC there's no way to add art files or anything to the workshop (unless that's changed) If they fix that than I'll definitely upload it to the workshop with added lights and shit. The Eduke32 version has OGG music as well as a couple of reskinned enemies (Total Meltdown zombie pigcop and a Cthulhu Octabrain by me) so that's the more definitive version.

Vanilla version (719kb):
http://www.mediafire...oz9/DRACULA.zip

Eduke32 version (4mb):
http://www.mediafire...DRACULA_E32.zip

Have fun and let me know what you think.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DRACULA.jpg
  • Attached Image: DRACULA2.jpg

This post has been edited by Jblade: 22 October 2016 - 03:34 AM

User is offline   max_nukem 

Very interesting map with fresh mapdesign idea.
I like non-linear, different-ways style of the map.
Shortcomings is the poor quality textures of the walls and trees.
Also music is not fit to the horrible atmosphere of the map. Need atmospheric track like in Castlevania or Blood.
Thanks! Waiting Duke Spook'em add-on!

This post has been edited by max_nukem: 22 October 2016 - 02:11 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks - music choice was intentionally goofy since I made this map as a light hearted halloween style map (Think Monster Mash) rather than a broody horror style like Blood ;)

User is offline   Lunick 

The Octabrain replacement is really cool!

Also, I actually got a scare out of one of the statues placed under the water in the final area, it just seems to pop out of the shadows

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

For those haven't (yet!!!) read the txt file, I was a beta tester for this, so I've played it before, but I decided to give this version a go. It's got a really nice layout, quite vertical, and has good flow. A nice variety of combat scenarios, and the new textures give it a fresh look. The castle as a whole has a great shape to it despite the relatively simple architecture. I'd encourage everyone to try it out; not bothering with installation isn't an excuse since it's plug 'n' play for the eduke32 version.

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks guys, glad you liked it ;)

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Awesome map. If this is a Duke Spookem appetizer, i'm hyped ;)

Wow, cool map. Though I feel late on the subject, I made post back in the Duke Spookem Thread on some ideas for you guys making. Other than, keep up the good work.

User is offline   Jblade 

Much appreciated guys, happy you liked what you saw.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Just played through the map, and I really liked it. I also like the new sprite replacements for the Pigcop and the Octabrains. Really cool map. :D Can't wait for Duke Spookem. ;)

User is offline   Dan 

Are the textures taken from somewhere else or did you make em?

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 22 October 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Just played through the map, and I really liked it. I also like the new sprite replacements for the Pigcop and the Octabrains. Really cool map. :( Can't wait for Duke Spookem. ;)

Thanks, glad you liked the Octabrains since I made them :D

Are the textures taken from somewhere else or did you make em?

They're from the Total Meltdown CD IIRC (some are from Hexen as well I think)

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Very fun map! Music is very cheesy in a good way. The ending is anticlimactic, though. I expected a big boss battle or something. Part 2, maybe?

Also, the art file feature is great, didn't know it existed.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the context, but it's going to be part of the community Duke Spookem episode, so there will be more content after.

User is offline   Polunka 

Well, it's kinda surprising that no one has found this so far (granted the map even had Micky and Mikko as beta testers): right at the start you can go outside the map. I mean that mountain area surrounding the castle with lots of trees inhabiting it. The problems are: you can't get back once you've got there (one-sided wall, I guess) and attempting to go further outwards (say, you wanna jump off the cliff to see the outsides of the map) will kill you (I think I don't have to explain why). I'm attaching some screenies (including an automap shot) so that you could find the breach.

Btw, I've not played the map yet, my curiosity just forced me to try my mountain climbing skills ;) I can't wait to play further tho ;D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0008.png
  • Attached Image: duke0009.png
  • Attached Image: duke0010.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 23 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Polunka 

So I've played the map. Of course I liked it, especially the aspect of non-linearity. There was a lot of places to explore both outside the castle and within, tho I found only 2 secrets. The music was indeed a bit goofy but nonetheless fit with the atmosphere. I think it will be the introductory level of Spookem?

Btw, the octabrain is really cool looking.

P.S.: I think most textures must be from Heretic/Hexen/sth else like that?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 23 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks Polunka - Mapster doesn't show blocking walls properly so things like that slip by the net ;)

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View PostMicky C, on 23 October 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the context, but it's going to be part of the community Duke Spookem episode, so there will be more content after.

There is no mention about Duke Spookem in the first post. Why would you release a first level of the episode separately?

User is offline   Jblade 

Uh it's literally in the first sentence at the top of my post ;) It's not the first level, it's a later one. As I said it's kind of a demo (but the mod version will be different so if anybody wanted to review this one I'd appreciate it)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 24 October 2016 - 12:19 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Cool map! Appreciate the freedom of movement and the vertical axis in the outdoor/castle area.
Layout is very well done, it gives you a lot of freedom but still feels focussed. I always knew exactly where I was and all the keycard slots were at logical places.
I also liked how you each keycard unlocked multiple doors, giving you a route to choose from.

Fun stuff, thanks for releasing it and giving us an idea of what Duke Spookem will be like!

And of course I liked all the references to Cthulu (including the redesigned octobrains! ;) ).

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 27 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks Merlijn, glad you enjoyed it :D (And funnily enough I thought you'd get a kick out of the Cthulu stuff as a fellow Lovecraft fan ;) )

Cool map, kudos on the release. Very nicely designed castle, reminds me of some Doom user maps I've played, that's where I've played the most castles with verticality and big drops etc like this. I would've liked more health lying around, but other than that a smooth fun romp.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options