Duke4.net Forums: Jon St. John does a retrospective on Duke - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jon St. John does a retrospective on Duke  "or something"

User is offline   Lunick 

I guess JSJ hasn't actually played the game since the original version since you don't use the Spacebar to Use anymore ;)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>nothing new
>just an ad

Thanks Gearbox?

User is offline   Wolf 

Dang, so he really can still do the voice! I guess the issue with WT is that he just needed the direction. I would've been okay with new inflections with the re-done lines as long as a competent director knew the context in which they were said.

EDIT: To clarify, this is as opposed to going by ear and trying to replicate the originals, which ended up sounding 'off' or spoken slower . I feel it could've been more organic-sounding with a director.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 22 October 2016 - 04:39 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Didn't Jon say he replicated the way that he said the lines in D3D for WT? I.e with the clenched teeth?

View PostMicky C, on 22 October 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

Didn't Jon say he replicated the way that he said the lines in D3D for WT? I.e with the clenched teeth?

He didn't clench his teeth for the new DN3D lines. He already got some of the lines wrong by saying "Alien Bastards" instead of "Alien Maggots" in Toxic Dump.

User is offline   MetHy 

Lot's of people have complained about the 20th anniversary edition voices, shitting on JSJ basically.

Personally I really wonder if going with the "non clenched teeth" voice wasn't the direction given to him, rather than his own idea. I mean, he does acknowledge the difference between the two Duke voices in the video and shows that he can still do the old one.

For one thing, re-doing the same lines the exact same way doesn't sound like a valid business practice, especially considering they let the players switch to the old lines at will anyway. It doesn't seem worth the cost. A better sound quality would be the only pro, and considering how other sounds sound in WT, they didn't seem to care too much about sound quality.

So the only reason that leave would be to make Duke sound more like new players know him, from DNF, how they think Duke should sound in the 21st century.
That or simply Randy giving a job to his pals.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

Jon St. John is one of the greatest living legends in this business, we always need more JSJ!

Cool how Jon name drops George Broussard in this. I feel like it's the only recognition he's got since gearbox got the IP.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostTrikeen, on 22 October 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

Cool how Jon name drops George Broussard in this. I feel like it's the only recognition he's got since gearbox got the IP.

He was publicised about when he was name dropped during the Gearbox lawsuit

And yeah, Jon really nails the Duke voice with that final "Make my day" line. Where the hell was that for World Tour?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostHulkNukem, on 22 October 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

Jon really nails the Duke voice with that final "Make my day" line. Where the hell was that for World Tour?

He was imitating the voice that Broussard and Lani wanted for him under their direction which is why it sounds great. If he did that instead of what Gearbox lets him do all the time it'd be great.

I don't even remember duke saying that in megaton edition either only time I heard it is when I play Duke Nukem 64.

User is offline   Wolf 

View PostDemon Duke, on 22 October 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

I don't even remember duke saying that in megaton edition either only time I heard it is when I play Duke Nukem 64.

It's because in DN Atomic it's used as an easter egg when you find the desk of "H. Callahan" (Dirty Harry) in the level Pigsty, but because Duke64 didn't have many of the levels from The Birth they used it as a weapon pickup line instead.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 22 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I guess that makes Pigsty a much older map? (If the Easter Egg was in the map at the time, I'm aware The Birth maps are scraps)

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostTrikeen, on 22 October 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

He was mentioned in the "Duke Nukem - History of a Legend" videos that Gearbox made prior to the DNF release. There was at least one picture of George in the first video of the series. But then, they also interviewed Scott Miller for the videos, and all that was prior to the 3DR/GBX lawsuit.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLunick, on 22 October 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

I guess that makes Pigsty a much older map? (If the Easter Egg was in the map at the time, I'm aware The Birth maps are scraps)

It was made by Levelord so....

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 22 October 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Jon St. John is one of the greatest living legends in this business, we always need more JSJ!

In what business exactly? Aside from Duke Nukem he's mostly a low key actor in video game voiceovers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options