Duke4.net Forums: Should DN3D's enemies return in future Duke games? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should DN3D's enemies return in future Duke games?  "If there's any"

Poll: Should DN3D's enemies return in future Duke games? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we keep Duke3D's cast?

1. Yes, with a few new enemies thrown in (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Only the most iconic ones, like the Pigcop and Octabrain (11 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. No, it's time we get a brand new cast of enemies (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Is it time to retire the same old aliens we've been fighting for the past 20 years whose motive for attacking Earth comes down to populating it (for whatever reason) and eventually just getting revenge on Duke? The Pigcops in DNF are basically no different from CoD soldiers without their berserk mode.

Sure, why not? They're iconic to me. Duke Nukem Forever was weak because of the gameplay, not the enemies.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I would keep some and dump some. The lizard men, which include both the troopers and enforcers (a genetic cousin?), are the bulk of the invasion force and are very versatile. They could have new versions with different weapons and behaviors but there is no reason to get rid of them. The idea of mutated humans is good but it's time to move beyond pigcops. There are various animal forms that the mutants could take -- it would give players an opportunity to kill a variety of furries. I would also keep the fat commander, the battlelord, and the cycloid emperor. The protector drone and alien queen should never return imo, they are ripoffs from the Alien franchise. I have mixed feelings about the octabrain: it's a classic enemy but it doesn't seem to fit with the others very well. The mechanical enemies need to be reworked. There can still be enemy vehicles but there's no reason why they have to be similar to the ones in Duke 3D.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

The lizard men, which include both the troopers and enforcers (a genetic cousin?), are the bulk of the invasion force and are very versatile. They could have new versions with different weapons and behaviors but there is no reason to get rid of them.

At that point, why not come up with new designs entirely? It's tiring to fight Lizardmen all the time.

Also, it's not like the nameless DN3D alien faction are the only bad guys in Duke's world. It begs the question of why Duke hasn't aborted their whole friggin' species and let other aliens/mutants/monsters/robots attack. Right now it's kinda like a Saturday morning cartoon where the goofy goons of the aliens are always up to something no good (taking over Earth, helping out the Protector Drones for who knows why, destroying famous world landmarks, and whatever the fuck they're trying to do in DNF).

User is offline   Merlijn 

I agree with Dan - maybe keep a few of the iconic enemies, but expand the mythos with some new enemy types.
Perhaps the reptilians have teamed up with other alien races to whipe out the earth once and for all, or put a price on Dukes head so he's chased by alien bounty hunters.

Or whatever, it's Duke so it doesn't have to be very deep.

I think Manhattan Project got it right. Keeping the classic Pigcop but then expanding the roster of enemies to include other mutants like the rat men, and then throwing in some human/mech baddies for good measure.

Of course, Duke's rogue gallery doesn't need to be exclusively mutants, but it's just one way of expanding the roster in a way that makes sense in-universe.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I liked how Zero Hour would have pigcops but then they would fit in with whatever time period it was; Pigcowboys for the western for example. The pigcops are almost synonimous with Duke, to a lesser extent the Octabrains.
I'm also all for new enemies as long as they make sense and aren't just replacing old ones (as in here's a fast athletic creature with a machinegun that isn't the Enforcer but basically still is)

I think the Duke 3D aliens can stay, though I would appreciate their presence if they were design with their tails. That was absent in DNF for some reason and looked more humanoid than extraterrestrial reptilian which I thought didn't give DNF a much stronger nostalgic feel. As mentioned above, teaming up with another race of aliens would make logical sense to take over earth since they've been beaten twice already. Or they come back to earth when it's in a weaker state due to another alien race or some other great threat. Also they could bring in some new members to their kind to the party, like something we haven't seen before that they've waited to use or unleash since they keep getting they asses kicked.

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 19 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I say the pigcop has been done to death by this point. There's not a huge amount more it can bring to the table.

IMO the developers' reliance on using the same enemies over and over is crushing any creativity and originality that may come from having to think up brand new enemies from scratch.

In addition to the above, Duke's accomplishments seem pretty "meh" when 99% the time is fighting one race of aliens. "Duke Nukem's a hero!", "what'd he do?", "fought the same guys a few times".
Time to move on.

Bring back the Rigelatins.

Rigelatin Pigcops.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 21 October 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

I say the pigcop has been done to death by this point. There's not a huge amount more it can bring to the table.

IMO the developers' reliance on using the same enemies over and over is crushing any creativity and originality that may come from having to think up brand new enemies from scratch.

In addition to the above, Duke's accomplishments seem pretty "meh" when 99% the time is fighting one race of aliens. "Duke Nukem's a hero!", "what'd he do?", "fought the same guys a few times".
Time to move on.

I agree about pigcops, which I why I pointed out that there are many other mutations that the aliens could cause instead. But I don't agree that having certain species of enemies remain associated with the franchise is very limiting. Think about the fact that most games have only human enemies, and no one thinks that is a major limiting factor. We all know that human enemies can come in many forms, with different weapons, behaviors, accessories, gameplay mechanics, and so on. This is just as true for the alien species that Duke fights. There are many possibilities involving lizard troopers that have never been explored, not to mention the other alien types.

When you take away the aliens, what is left that identifies Duke Nukem as a game franchise? Answer: A lot less. Duke himself is an amalgam of different 80s action stars, and while he does have some uniqueness which comes mostly from JSJ's voice acting, Duke should not be forced to carry the franchise by himself.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 October 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

I agree about pigcops, which I why I pointed out that there are many other mutations that the aliens could cause instead. But I don't agree that having certain species of enemies remain associated with the franchise is very limiting. Think about the fact that most games have only human enemies, and no one thinks that is a major limiting factor. We all know that human enemies can come in many forms, with different weapons, behaviors, accessories, gameplay mechanics, and so on. This is just as true for the alien species that Duke fights. There are many possibilities involving lizard troopers that have never been explored, not to mention the other alien types.

When you take away the aliens, what is left that identifies Duke Nukem as a game franchise? Answer: A lot less. Duke himself is an amalgam of different 80s action stars, and while he does have some uniqueness which comes mostly from JSJ's voice acting, Duke should not be forced to carry the franchise by himself.

Duke also fought Dr. Proton and his robot army as well as some sludge aliens with cyborg troopers too.

Duke Nukem himself is what identifies him, not the pigcops or the liztroops or the 'GUHEHEHEHE SUCK IT DOWN'.

Another example would be Goombas.
They have appeared in practically every mario game to date and they don't really limit the franchise. You can still do creative things and add a roster of completely new characters, like the first three Paper Mario games did, while keeping the old ones.

The Pigcop has practically become Duke's Goomba.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPikaCommando, on 21 October 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Duke also fought Dr. Proton and his robot army as well as some sludge aliens with cyborg troopers too.

Duke Nukem himself is what identifies him, not the pigcops or the liztroops or the 'GUHEHEHEHE SUCK IT DOWN'.

Hardly anyone played the 2D games before Duke 3D, so Dr. Proton and the other enemies from the 2D games don't count.

Take a look at the thread title. Do you see how DN3D is in there? No one gives two shits about Dr. Proton etc. Duke 3D is the game that defined the series. Having said that, I wouldn't complain if they remade those old enemies and brought some back.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 October 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hardly anyone played the 2D games before Duke 3D, so Dr. Proton and the other enemies from the 2D games don't count.

Take a look at the thread title. Do you see how DN3D is in there? No one gives two shits about Dr. Proton etc. Duke 3D is the game that defined the series. Having said that, I wouldn't complain if they remade those old enemies and brought some back.

This.

Not trying to sound rude, but Turrican for example on the C=64 came out two years before Duke Nukem (1) and it played better and had smooth scrolling.

Yes, I know completely different hardware and differnt business model. But why bother with something like Duke Nukem 1 and 2 if you have a smoother experience on an age old computer. Let alone that the Amiga was very popular here too, where it also had games like Turrican 1 and 2 (where 3DR even ripped srpites from) which looked better, played better, ran smoother,, etc ...

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 21 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

DN3D is in the thread title because it's one of the only two mainline Duke game that has enemies from it return in another game (DN2 is the first, with the original Troopers and Protozoid Slimers).

Besides, shouldn't the developers make it so that we care more about Dr. Proton rather than the fodder aliens? It's interesting to have a human nemesis, and they're not taking advantage of that.

True. For a very long time, I assumed Duke 3D was the first Duke Nukem game. That's what not having the Internet does to you. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options