Duke4.net Forums: World Tour Reviews - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Tour Reviews

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostLee Jackson, on 18 October 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

[...] Quick Easter egg reveal: take a look at the first seven notes of the guitar line in BulletDam. Compare them to the first seven notes of the opening guitar line in Grabbag. Notice a similarity in the note pattern ? (The intervals, not the rhythm or the key.) ;) That same pattern shows up in the bass line of the song.

I also noticed the Russian national anthem playing in the background of "Dukelinka". It adds quite a bit to the atmosphere of the level. BTW Lee, any idea why your track "Pluck You Part 2" wasn't used? It was supposed to be for another level that wasn't made or it was simply an alternate track for the same level which didn't make it into the game?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 19 October 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

It was supposed to be for another level that wasn't made or it was simply an alternate track for the same level which didn't make it into the game?

Well it does start with E5L7 and not E5L9 for example. I assume they couldn't work out track switching in-game.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

They could have taken a look at Oblivion or Starship Troopers TC for example, it's not like it hasn't been done before. But then again, switching the music in E5L7 when the boss actually appears isn't really worth it. This would have been more adequate to be played during the boss fight to reflect the challenge (I hope Lee won't feel offended, it's supposed to be for the lulz, anyway ;))...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 October 2016 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

One way to do it would be to cut the final map into two maps (it could perfectly be split at the "maintenance transportation" telepoter) but that would be really cheap and only make the map feel even smaller.

I just fixed something else in my review that I got wrong : at the start of Godlen Carnage, the building behind the player isn't accessible at the start and the way only opens later on. Still an odd choice though.

Has TotalBiscuit played Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour yet? He always praised Duke Nukem 3D for its level design, so it would be interesting to see what he thought of the new levels.

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostNightFright, on 19 October 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

BTW Lee, any idea why your track "Pluck You Part 2" wasn't used? It was supposed to be for another level that wasn't made or it was simply an alternate track for the same level which didn't make it into the game?

I don't know how much I can say about that, contractually speaking. Honestly, though, I don't know who made what decision. I'm just glad the track is there for people to hear outside of the game.

User is offline   neznam 

my opinion:

- Sound quality is trash.
- JSJ didn't do such great job. Some of his lines were good but most sounded wrong. He would emphasis the wrong word, change the tone of the phrase too much or over emphasise the whole thing (silly dramatic grunts).
- New episode was alright but a little unpolished.
- I sort of liked the new enemy (firefly) but the new weapon was just dumb. It's poorly drawn and doesn't look very Duke-ish (the gauge on it looks really out of place). It's animation is poorly done. It's also not that fun to use. Kind of pointless.
- The new lighting's alright.
- Not worth 20 bucks.

If they just brought back the old sound, released life's a beach and Duke it out in DC with improved lighting and re-recorded Duke talk (if it isn't as poorly done as it was for the initial episodes) as a free patch I could pass it off as alright.

User is offline   Merlijn 

I'm a bit late to the party, but here are some of my thoughts.

First of all, I personally didn't regret buying this version. I never bought the megaton edition and the new content was just about worth it.
Still, removing the megaton version and charging 20 bucks for this edition is pretty shady.

Biggest negatives for me are the muffled sounds and the coding for the new episode (or shocking lack thereoff).

I think Gearbox did a solid job on the new renderer, although it's a bit weird to see sprite enemies in the fully 3D environment.
Then again, the same can be said for many custom eduke mods (including Thje Imperium :D).

The coders really dropped the ball on the new episode though. The new boss is the most obvious flaw, I wonder if they even tested it?
Having mini Overlords and Cycloid Emperors is cool, but the Cycloids often end up killing themselves before you even come close. Should have been fixed.
And as Methy said, all the new sprites are static. This might seem like nit picking, but the interactivity of Duke has always been a big draw.
Even the new computer screens are static (can't be destroyed). Since the new maps use both old and new assets, it makes them feel inconsistent.
As for the firefly: it has potential, but in this state he isn't very fun to fight.

I did really enjoy the new levels, they range from very good to excellent. Also, the new art was very good overall and really helped to bring each new location to life.
And, everyone already said it but it's worth repeating, the new music is very good!
I'll add a few thoughts on each level. Methy already made excellent points in his breakdown, I'll try to not repeat him too much and keep it short.

High times

Spoiler

Red Ruckus

Spoiler

Bloody Hell

Spoiler

Mirage Barrage
Spoiler

Tour de Nukem
Spoiler

Golden Carnage
Spoiler

Hollywood Inferno
Spoiler

Prima Arena
Spoiler

..and now I need a drink. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

Nice review Merlijn.

View PostMerlijn, on 24 October 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

This map introduces a running theme through these maps: I almost get the idea that they're all separate missions, where you have to infiltrate some kind of stronghold and
take out the source. This happens in nearly all of them, I wonder if it was intentional.

Yes, I hinted to it several times in my review but didn't speak of it on its own: most maps follow the same progression pattern: 2 main seperate areas + a third final boss area. Only Prima Arena is different and it's a nice change of pace.
Well that pattern isn't exactly too obvious, and it always work, I would still have liked to see more different things, for originality and diversity.

BTW you could easily base an entire episode on Paris, and include some of those famous landmarks.
If there ever was a "Duke it out in Paris" expansion, I would totally play it. Ck3d, are you reading this? ;)

I went to Paris last week for a couple of days. I (re)visited the Louvres and the Arc de Triomphe, taken lot's of photos.
The Louvres could be an amazing thing to see in Build, Smithsonnian style, but it would be a HUGE undertaking, even just making a part of it.
The Arc on the other hand seems much more "do-able". I'll keep thinking about it when I'm done with my current projects.

View PostMetHy, on 25 October 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

I went to Paris last week for a couple of days. I (re)visited the Louvres and the Arc de Triomphe, taken lot's of photos.
The Louvres could be an amazing thing to see in Build, Smithsonnian style, but it would be a HUGE undertaking, even just making a part of it.
The Arc on the other hand seems much more "do-able". I'll keep thinking about it when I'm done with my current projects.

Yeah, you could have like Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower. Maybe the Catacombs as the secret level filled with maze-like underground corridors and secret areas.

User is offline   Merlijn 

The Eiffel tower seems pretty much impossible without TROR. I just can't see a way to pull it off convincingly with sectors.
They got away with it on Golden Carnage by letting the bridge collapse (and this actually made the level more interesting).
But I don't think something similar can be pulled off with the Eiffel tower.

Notre dame could be epic.

BTW I think "Tour de Nukem" is simply a play on "Tour de France". Of course I could be wrong. ;)

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

You can do a lot of thing with Eiffel tower, just need imagination.
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Have you seen the Eiffel Tower up close? I can tell you that it would be impossible to transpose it well into Build, even with TROR.
Notre Dames, Catacombs, Arc de Triomphe or the Louvres could be nice.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Although something on the level of The Saboteur which also has Eiffel tower would be great in Duke, isn't it possible to make the tower destroyed or something like that? Could add some kind of backstory as well. Or it's possible to make unreachable areas too.

Blum actually did pretty good job with San Fran bridge which I think is pretty massive too (in real life).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 28 October 2016 - 03:49 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm sorry but no matter how I think about it I don't think the Eiffel tower could work well in Build. Even if you used TROR (a lot of it, probably more than the game can handle) and mixed it heavily with specially made "sloped" sprites, it would be terrible. Everything is either in diagonal or curved, and honestly, it is HUGE, really huge. The heavy use of TROR and sprites would be a lot more than the game can handle, really.

All the "hard" stuff to do in Build was taken out of Golden Carnage under the "destroyed" excuse/scenario, but if you do the same with the Eiffel Tower, nothing's left.

I think perhaps only the sickests of minds like Billy Bob could pull something off.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostMetHy, on 28 October 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

I'm sorry but no matter how I think about it I don't think the Eiffel tower could work well in Build. Even if you used TROR (a lot of it, probably more than the game can handle) and mixed it heavily with specially made "sloped" sprites, it would be terrible. Everything is either in diagonal or curved, and honestly, it is HUGE, really huge. The heavy use of TROR and sprites would be a lot more than the game can handle, really.

All the "hard" stuff to do in Build was taken out of Golden Carnage under the "destroyed" excuse/scenario, but if you do the same with the Eiffel Tower, nothing's left.

I think perhaps only the sickests of minds like Billy Bob could pull something off.

Have three huge sectors for it, maybe? Bottom, Middle, and Top of Eiffel Tower?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Eiffel Tower could be done if it was collapsed, laying completely horizontal, so instead of having lots of rooms over rooms the floors are actually just walls; you also wouldn't need to be allowed to walk around the entire thing, maybe just walk through a part of it to get to the other side.
That might be a little too much for the actual theme, though. The aliens take over Earth, capture and kill humans, and they take over bits of the planet, but they don't seem hellbent on just destroying everything.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options