Duke4.net Forums: [Request/Bug] sound replacements don't work reliably - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Request/Bug] sound replacements don't work reliably

Like I mentioned in a general how to thread, some stuff like pistol.voc sounds or chaingun.ogg sounds don't work, when stuff like that is sometimes included with a map release, and intended to work just by dropping into the eDuke32 folder.

I know there are several things that could be factors, and as we know from recent midi stuff, eDuke32's compatibility with various audio files can change over the builds. Plus each of these files might have different encoding etc, not sure what could be causing the issue.

Ideally it would be a fun and good feature if putting an audio file in your eDuke32 directory with the same name as the corresponding sound in Duke would just work, like replacing an art file. And sometimes it does seem to, but I'm noticing not always.

Just for one example, I attached the pistol.voc sound I'd like to use, which is from Duke Nukem 64 I think, it's grabbed from the map ForeverDoom. Shouldn't putting this pistol.voc sound in the eDuke32 folder work? For some reason it doesn't use it.

[If it helps, I've deduced that this pistol.voc is most likely a pistol.wav file that he renamed to pistol.voc. Not sure what the status is on .wav files playing in eDuke32]

To further add to this, NightFright recently released a PSX voc sound pack for eDuke32 which doesn't work for me either.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 15 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

User is offline   Darkus 

Strange, I put the pistol.voc file into the EDuke directory and it worked for me. What if instead of putting the voc file in the EDuke folder, you put it where the main DUKE3D.GRP file is (if it is elsewhere)?

Thanks for giving this a look. The pistol.voc and DUKE3D.GRP are both in the main eDuke folder. I also usually have an autoload folder (with that PSX voc pack that also didn't work recently), but removed it just for simplicity of this testing.

Seems .voc replacements in general aren't working for me at the moment, don't know why. Using 5775, also tried it in the more recent build 5888.

Here's a screenshot of my eDuke directory in case it helps.

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

I have been running into this problem too. IIRC I had at least 4 or 5 sounds that wouldn't accept an identically named sound file in the root folder while all the rest I made worked fine. I never reported it because I have been using an old version ( 4593 ) of eduke because of Polymer reasons. But I thought I would mention it anyways to show it may have been a problem for a while now. This was addressed in another thread that it was indeed broken in 4593 and that I would have to manually def in new sounds. Even doing that has produced a few that didn't want to play. The original played instead.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Just an FYI that .voc files are really just PCM, and if you replace them they should just be 16bit signed WAV. Also make sure they you aren't loading data from other mods or Megaton.
Not saying that's the issue here, but for the sake of posterity everyone can know!

Also just dragging and dropping that file from the zip into a clean duke setup it works. It sounds like the original only tinnier.

Edit: It also has a really bizarre sample rate. Audacity says 5988Hz.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options