Duke4.net Forums: Favourite level in Alien World Order episode? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite level in Alien World Order episode?

Poll: Favourite level in Alien World Order episode? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Favourite Alien World Order level?

1. High Times (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Red Ruckus (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

3. Bloody Hell (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Mirage Barrage (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

5. Tour De Nukem (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

6. Golden Carnage (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

7. Hollywood Inferno (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Prima Arena (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

The straightforward romp part is okay, there's room for one here and there, and the view is cool, but yeah the final boss is a dud.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 15 October 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

So we all agree Hollywood Inferno is the clear stinker of the 5th episode, right? ;)

Not really a stinker for me, it's just a boss map.

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 15 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

If it's not final boss level, I won't think it's bad.(Lazy final boss is other story for me) But I think it can be better...or just I forgot what original E3L9 was like and expect something more cool than that... ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

I missed the secret map on my first playthrough, found it on my second run. To be honest it was a tad disappointing. Perhaps the uncut version fixes some of the issues, but I found this map to be a mess.
I already broke the intended gameplay by killing the big boss immidiately, without even entering the arena lol (still had plenty of RPG and devastator ammo left from the previous map).
I'm glad it's the secret level.

My ranking after 2 playthroughs:

Golden carnage = Mirage Barrage > Bloody hell > Tour de Nukem > Red ruckus > High times > Hollywood inferno > Prima arena

The straightforward romp part is okay, there's room for one here and there, and the view is cool, but yeah the final boss is a dud.

I agree with this. I thought the straight forward run to the top of the hill was fitting, it's a boss map after all. ;)

User is offline   NNC 

Sorry for bump, but I'm late into this addon, so here are my ranking:

1. Golden Carnage: Absolutely fantastic layout, and despite being well designed, it's extremely authentic to AHB's 1996 maps. Enemy and weapon placement is spot on, great shading, great flow, epic fights in the middle and in the end. I love the direct homage to Death Row too, and so the torpedoed BLord. I also think this map is a bit like a mix of Derelict, Dread October from Duke DC and the boss (dam) map from Duke Forever 2013, improving all three.

2. Mirage Barrage: Great textures and setting, and after reaching the pyramid, the gameplay and puzzles are classic as well. I love how the shrinker puzzle is designed, and of course this map is even better with dynamic lights (which sadly I can't use due to lags). One little minus is the maze at the start, it could have been shorter, and could have less eggs (ANB really like eggs, doesn't he?). However the Serious Sam cameo is classic.

3. Tour de Nukem: I really like the second half of this map which is a huge cave. The city part is just like the other city maps here. Fine and all, but it doesn't set the world alight. The second half is well designed, and faithful to the original game. The ending is also a great homage to The Abyss.

4. High Times: I like the second half of this map too. I never thought of this as a weed ride (despite it being obvious), but more like a horror theme, which had been utilized in maps like a Dream and Red 3. That ugly grin looks horrific IMHO. The rest of the map is OK, texturing is a bit weak and out place here, and I really hate decorative doors (not present in the original game except for Duke Burger).

5. Bloody Hell: It starts out an average ride, although the temple part expands the audiovisual aspects a bit. Monster placement is clueless, everything had been thrown in randomly (just compare that to Golden Carnage). The temple parts are also not really living, they are a bit like rigid like the first two maps of Duke DC. Some custom sounds like church bells or some organ should have been added.

6. Red Ruckus: OK, this is really nothing, outside of introducing the flamethrower. Just a random decent city map made by a usermapper, thrown in some commie jokes, but with no subtlety.

7. Hollywood Inferno: The route up to the boss part is OK, and I like the skybox. That aside, everything is wrong with this map: minibosses kill themselves, poorly written boss battle, the Hollywood sign looks terrible. It's not up to AHB's quality, although he tend to use poor effort to bossmaps (ie. Overlord, Stadium)

Haven't played the secret level yet, although from the video I saw, it doesn't look very promising. A bit like a well updated Spin Cycle and Tier Drops.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 29 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Let's get serious. It's obvious that Blum's levels are a lot better than the ones made by Levelord. Maybe we can have another episode with Blum-only maps? *.*

Memo @ self: Stop dreaming.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 28 October 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

Let's get serious. It's obvious that Blum's levels are a lot better than the ones made by Levelord. Maybe we can have another episode with Blum-only maps? *.*

Memo @ self: Stop dreaming.

Actually that was the case in 1996 too. Levelord is a talented mapper, and has great sense for enemy and weapon placement, but his maps were inferior to Blum. E3 was inferior E1 and even E2.

His best maps were The Abyss, Warp Factor and LA Rumble. I also have a wet dream that he will finish sewer.map one day, as it could have been easily one of his best with some minor updates.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Nice review Nancsi. ;)

I agree, Blum has always been the better mapper of the 2.
Levelord did an amazing job on The abbys and a few other maps, but E3 is the weakest episode of the original game.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I gotta admit... I barely know Blum. Heard more of the Levelord before. In general, I had the impression the mappers kept a rather low profile compared to the rest. Which is a good approach maybe since it should be more about results and not people. The "anti-Romero" approach, so to speak. ;)

Personally, I liked ep.3 in spite of its flaws. "Flood Zone" is still one of the best underwater action levels imho.

User is offline   NNC 

Yea, I gotta forget Flood Zone. It's a really good Levelord level indeed.

User is offline   NNC 

Played the secret level. It's a mixed bag for me. It clearly works as a secret level, a typical one in Duke3d fashion, although I like it better than the likes of Spin Cycle, Lunatic Fringe and Tier Drops. The lower area with the Overlord is much better than the upper area which is uninspired. However I disagree with Methy. This level is much better with the two rooms cut off. This is the real challenge here, to rush ASAP to the nearest gap down, instead of doing the easier way. This cut off areas should have been deleted instead of being there with enemies etc., hence you can't get perfect score in this level.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options