Duke4.net Forums: Doom 2016 Cubicle - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 2016 Cubicle

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

At last, a place to discuss everything classic regarding doom. Post your snapmap maps in the other thread. This cubicle is for nostalgic pixelated goodness.

At last, a separate cubicle for the flavour-of-the-month Doom 2016-related posts. Timeless classic doom content can go in the other thread.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Err, I'd prefer it if the old thread was used for old Doom stuff and a new thread was created for Doom 2016...

• Honored Donor

You're the boss. It does feel like there was more classic doom content in the other thread compared to Doom 2016 stuff.

As long as it's not a corner Posted Image

User is offline   LkMax 

It does feel like there was more classic doom content in the other thread compared to Doom 2016 stuff.

That's mainly because there's much more discussion potential for classic doom since it's extremely mod-friendly.
I bet this thread will only be active when the next game/DLC is announced, or the occasional and rare snapmap-made recommendation.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Update 4 is out. A massive 11.6 gb download.
Posted Image

DOOM's Free Update 4 is available now and brings a bunch of exciting new additions to the game, including Arcade Mode, new multiplayer modes, and classic DOOM modules in SnapMap!

Arcade Mode
Return to the critically-acclaimed single player campaign in this new game mode that has you competing against your friends and players from around the world for the highest scores. Fight like hell against demon hordes, with a fully unlocked arsenal of guns, Praetor suit upgrades, and runes. Earn medals and achievements, play on every difficulty, and challenge yourself with the new scoring system that rewards aggression and accuracy.
Various fixes and performance tweaks

2 New Mulitplayer Modes
Possession – New team-based Prowler vs. Marine multiplayer mode.
Bloodrush – New free-for-all multiplayer mode.

More at the link.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

So id added multiple new texture types for blocking volumes, including the classic textures, hell and base textures, and even different types of glass and skybox shaders.

They added decals too, as well as dead bodies (finally) and the capability to string maps together so you can make campaigns

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wish I could play this game. My 9 year old PC doesn't even start the main menu. If only I could afford a new computer. ;)

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 20 October 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

I wish I could play this game. My 9 year old PC doesn't even start the main menu. If only I could afford a new computer. ;)

You're not alone, brother. Because my old PC don't allow me to play any AAA-titles that came after 2011. :D

User is offline   HulkNukem 

They have new versions of E1M1-M3 of the original Doom up on Snapmap too; I've only played the first one and it wasn't 1:1, theres a couple new rooms which almost completely changes the flow, but I don't mind it at all, especially considering how messy the easter egg levels looked.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Way to go, id!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

And to think, we had written them off completely. What an amazing surprise.

Thank you for still being great Id!

Are the paid MP DLCs any good?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 21 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

Got some shit if anyone wants to give it a whirl

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://imgur.com/a/FWIaq

Named it Quantum Hazard because it deals with teleports and it's a tad half-lifey, also because i'm extremely uncreative when it comes to naming.

Makes heavy use of the new update features. Has radio comms and a lite story, set pieces and puzzles, and if this is your kinda thing:

an elevator!

It's balanced a bit like an early map since we can link maps now, so it's all lower tier stuff up to the hellknight.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 28 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Some early and unused marketing artwork for the game:

Doom Branding Exploration

Posted Image
Posted Image
DOOM Campaign and Key Art Concepts

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm so glad they didn't go with the artsy minimalistic bullshit that is the first logo.

They should've went with

Posted Image

He looks like one of those ODST Troopers from Halo from this angle

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 31 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

New Doom's arcade mode seem pretty fun.

• The Sarien Encounter

That cover is fantastic. Love the logo text too. It represents everything about the game in one simple image. Should have been minimalist enough for them. I wonder why it was passed over.

Also, those links require a password.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 October 2016 - 08:41 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

Damn, they worked yesterday. Here are some new ones:

Doom Branding Exploration

DOOM Campaign and Key Art Concepts

Thanks for pointing that out! ;)

Edit: I do dig the look of the black logo with the orange/red lines through it. The early ideas looked terrible, which was acknowledged!

This post has been edited by Malgon: 31 October 2016 - 11:42 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I beat Doom tonight. I've been leaving it and coming back to it every now and then and every time I come back it doesn't get old. Still as fresh and addicting as ever. What a fantastic game! Best game I've played in 10 years for sure.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I haven't beat it yet, but I keep going back and playing. It is an amazing game.

I remember before DNF came out, I was saying that even if it was an amazing game, it couldn't have the impact that the original had, just as it wouldn't be pioneering new tech like the original. It wouldn't be able to capture the flavor of the original game play either.

I've got to say though, that this game is a worthy successor to the original Doom. That is a mighty rare thing to say about anything from the 90's. Id have been able to capture and improve on what made the original great, which looking at the competition, is something very wonderful.

• The Sarien Encounter

It really is amazing how DOOM is the exact opposite of DNF. DNF had so much hype and expectations and a long development cycle that was restarted completely from scratch. It turned out to not be what anyone expected or what most people wanted (even though I had a decent time with it, it certainly wasn't the best game I've ever played). It also borrowed some of the worst tropes of modern shooters and old alike to create something that felt very samey and didn't break much new ground at all. It also took forever for the shooting to get started.

DOOM comes along, almost the same story. Long development cycle and restarted completely from scratch. However it had no hype and no expectations and completely threw everyone for a loop how good it was. And it somehow managed to take the BEST of the old and modern shooter conventions to create something fresh and IMPROVE on what came before, not just copy it. Plus it treats cinematics as the devil (pun intended) and allows you to skip most of them and get right into the action as soon as you start the game. DOOM is the anti-DNF.

It really says something by the fact that one of the most popular mods for classic doom right now is a mod trying to recreate Doom 4's gameplay in the old engine.

I really do love this game, it's the first game in a long time that I ended up liking as much as my favorite games from the 90s, which is something I never thought i'd be able to say

I made some more stuff in snapmap

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostBloodshot, on 13 November 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I made some more stuff in snapmap

Is it now possible to build classic style maps?

BTW - Arcade mode is great. It's everything the game needed to give it extra replay value. After playing the game 5-6 times, beating it on Ultra Nightmare, I had no reason to go back to it, but arcade gives it a little fresh take.

I managed to get the best medal in all of the maps in UN, I even ranked #5 on the leaderboard in one of the map.
The one thing that's a little stupid about arcade mode is that every medal is worth the same; so getting a muti-kill gives you a medal, but doing a glory kill also gives you in a medal. In other words, you're better off NOT doing that multi kill and instead get 5 glory kills in a row, that will score more points. Honestly, it's all about chaining glory kills to score, the difficult part is to balance it properly in the last maps with tons of enemies.... not to die; because trying to glory kill every enemy is very likely to get you dead.

It's good to see they haven't given up on the game and I hope they're making a single player DLC.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

Well you can build maps out of custom geometry now. They added textures to blocking volumes so you can make them into an assortment of hell and tech textures, or skyboxes to simulate outdoor areas.

You can also link maps together now so you can make campaigns, and they added special dialogue and datapad transmissions with gibberish VO to simulate SP-style missions.

You still can't manually place things like doors or lifts but the snapmap now is 100x more powerful than the snapmap on release

• The Sarien Encounter

They did just release an update that allows you to build maps with the classic textures.

• Honored Donor

View PostBloodshot, on 14 November 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Well you can build maps out of custom geometry now. They added textures to blocking volumes so you can make them into an assortment of hell and tech textures, or skyboxes to simulate outdoor areas.

You can also link maps together now so you can make campaigns, and they added special dialogue and datapad transmissions with gibberish VO to simulate SP-style missions.

You still can't manually place things like doors or lifts but the snapmap now is 100x more powerful than the snapmap on release

Why didn't they just release it with all that stuff?

• The Sarien Encounter

Either they ran out of time or never planned to include it. Either way, they're listening to the fans now...they even pulled the multiplayer component away from whoever initially designed it. Making smart moves, id is.

User is offline   Lunick 

(I'm in this video)

• The Sarien Encounter

This is fantastic thank you for sharing!!

User is offline   Lunick 

It was definitely an experience to see Mick in person and hear the music so loud. They had to get people to hold the doors steady because the music was so loud that it was rattling the doors.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options