Duke4.net Forums: changing the speed of a moving sector - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

changing the speed of a moving sector

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I want to change the speed of an elevator or swing door while it is moving. Does anyone know precisely what I should be monitoring and manipulating to make this happen? I'm working on the assumption that it is possible by manipulating struct members of SEs. EDIT: After looking at the wiki, I guess I should start by working with .extra on the sectors themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong...things like this can be a real time hole.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 12 October 2016 - 11:44 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah, the extra works - I managed to add an effect where rotating sectors start speeding up when activated so it is doable to edit their speed in con.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 12 October 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

Yeah, the extra works - I managed to add an effect where rotating sectors start speeding up when activated so it is doable to edit their speed in con.

That's good to know, but now I have a different problem. Let's say I'm working with an elevator, like the one that goes up to the arcade in E1L1 (lotag 17). If I'm examining the situation from CON code, how can I tell what the elevator's stopping point is? The starting point would be the initial floorz/ceilingz. But the end position is the floorz of a different sector, and I don't know how to determine which sector that is. EDIT: I guess what I'll do is, loop through the wall points of the elevator sector, and when I get to one that has a nextsector of a different floor height than the elevator sector, I assume that is the elevator's destination height.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 13 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 October 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

That's good to know, but now I have a different problem. Let's say I'm working with an elevator, like the one that goes up to the arcade in E1L1 (lotag 17). If I'm examining the situation from CON code, how can I tell what the elevator's stopping point is? The starting point would be the initial floorz/ceilingz. But the end position is the floorz of a different sector, and I don't know how to determine which sector that is. EDIT: I guess what I'll do is, loop through the wall points of the elevator sector, and when I get to one that has a nextsector of a different floor height than the elevator sector, I assume that is the elevator's destination height.

That sounds right. From what I read about semi charmed elevator tricks is if you adjust the floor height around the elevator you can change where the elevator stops. This allows it to stop at different locations depending on what the neighboring sector's floor height is set to. There is a lot of useful information about how the elevators function in Semi-Charms readme file found here: http://dnr.duke4.net...cbc/ele_trk.zip . Unfortunately, that doesn't help with the con programming just the elevator logic.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 14 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options