Duke4.net Forums: Lee Jackson is considering releasing music outtakes from World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lee Jackson is considering releasing music outtakes from World Tour

User is offline   Lunick 

Lee just posted a new blog post detailing what he has been up to while he was working on making music for World Tour http://dleejackson.l...n-the-meantime/

I’ve been toying with the idea of releasing some of the outtakes/unused tracks from my work on the new Duke Nukem release. If anyone has a good reference on how to independently get something up on iTunes and Amazon, I would appreciate it very much if you would use the Contact page to let me know about it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You can't really independently do iTunes/Amazon, and most aggregates are terrible (they take your money and give you no control). What's wrong with good old Bandcamp? ;)

User is offline   Lunick 

Bandcamp would probably be the best for this kind of stuff

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Absolutely. Bandcamp is great.

Quick, somebody ask him if he could do the same for the unused Beta tracks if he still has them somewhere.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 07 October 2016 - 05:40 AM, said:

Quick, somebody ask him if he could do the same for the unused Beta tracks if he still has them somewhere.

Afaik those are in the DN3D betas wich now are property of Gearbox.

User is offline   Kathy 

Is he planning on selling those?

• The Sarien Encounter

I sent him an email about considering Bandcamp and its benefits, this was his reply.

I'll have to check with the Grammy organization to see if they recognize Bandcamp as an eligible means of distribution. Thanks for the advice!

- D. Lee Jackson

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostMike Norvak, on 07 October 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Afaik those are in the DN3D betas wich now are property of Gearbox.

World Tour is also a property of Gearbox.

I hope he can get permission.

User is offline   MetHy 

Music composers tend to keep the rights to their songs, even in the video game industry. He shouldn't have to ask anyone's permission.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've found the opposite to be true. Or maybe I'm just not good at negotiating my contracts...

User is offline   Kathy 

Can't you "cover" you own compositions and sell them? I'm really curious who's credited as music's creator. You might not have the right to sell actual files or recordings for the game, but you can't even cover it? Also I wonder about the practice in the movie industry.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 12 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

You can if you pay mechanical royalties to the owners just like anyone else. You can't just make covers and expect to not have to pay somebody.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 October 2016 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

But who's the owner of the score you made?

• The Sarien Encounter

They are.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Hey Lee. Are there any outtakes/different versions of BulletDam? The intro is so cool so I was wondering if there were any different ideas at first.

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostShaq Fu, on 19 October 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hey Lee. Are there any outtakes/different versions of BulletDam? The intro is so cool so I was wondering if there were any different ideas at first.

Sorry, but BulletDam doesn't have much in the way of outtakes. I'd messed around with a completely different song at first which I ultimately deemed not worthy to wrap fish in (it won't be released as an outtake either, sorry). After I ditched the first song, I just kind of hit on the homage idea behind BulletDam (plus the interpolation of Stalker into the piece) and ran with the whole thing until it was done.

View PostLee Jackson, on 19 October 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Sorry, but BulletDam doesn't have much in the way of outtakes. I'd messed around with a completely different song at first which I ultimately deemed not worthy to wrap fish in (it won't be released as an outtake either, sorry). After I ditched the first song, I just kind of hit on the homage idea behind BulletDam (plus the interpolation of Stalker into the piece) and ran with the whole thing until it was done.

Hey Lee, how did you come up with the masterpiece that is Stalker?

• Composer

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 October 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Hey Lee, how did you come up with the masterpiece that is Stalker?

First off, thanks for the compliment!

It's been so long since I wrote Stalker that I don't remember all of the details. I remember wanting to do something moody, but with a slight rock push to it. I'd also experimented with mixing orchestral, synth, and drum kit sounds in ROTT. This was an extension of that experiment.

It's also one of the songs that I wrote for DN3D before I was "officially" a composer for DN3D. I came up with it at home and took it down to the Duke team during a break from doing tech support for Apogee/3D Realms. I guess they liked it. ;)

• The Sarien Encounter

As well they should've. So would you say that track got you the gig?

• Composer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 October 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

As well they should've. So would you say that track got you the gig?

It was one of them, I'm guessing. Gotham was another, as were the original versions of Whomp (which got changed before release), Plasma, and Grabbag (the short one). Don't ask me for a timeline, because I can't remember when I wrote what. ;)

I just want to say it's a pleasure having you on here to tell us information about the game's soundtrack, Lee Jackson! Is there any chance you could be working on more Duke music in the near future? ;)

Mr. Lee Jackson, I surely appreciate your work you have done for Duke 3D, and even though I haven't played the anniversary game yet, I listen to the tracks and they are awesome.

Also, I read you also worked on the Duke Nukem Zero Hour soundtrack which was also fantastic, especially Grabbag, Mean Streets, and Liberty or Death teacks. Thank you and hopefully Gearbox will have do more Duke games.

Good luck and have a wonderful future

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 21 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

• Composer

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 21 October 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

I just want to say it's a pleasure having you on here to tell us information about the game's soundtrack, Lee Jackson! Is there any chance you could be working on more Duke music in the near future? :D

The pleasure is all mine. As for future Duke tracks, I have no idea if that'll happen. I'm always the last to know about stuff. ;)

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 21 October 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Mr. Lee Jackson, I surely appreciate your work you have done for Duke 3D, and even though I haven't played the anniversary game yet, I listen to the tracks and they are awesome.Also, I read you also worked on the Duke Nukem Zero Hour soundtrack which was also fantastic, especially Grabbag, Mean Streets, and Liberty or Death teacks. Thank you and hopefully Gearbox will have do more Duke games.Good luck and have a wonderful future

Thanks, but I didn't directly work on Zero Hour. I was credited because some of my original Duke music was used in the game. I don't know who did "Mean Streets" or "Liberty or Death."

I do thank you for the kind words about the Anniversary Edition songs, though. Much obliged!

Mr. Jackson you are certainly appreciated. I just wonder what Duke music they used of your for Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

• Composer

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 21 October 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

I just wonder what Duke music they used of your for Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

I've never played it, so I don't know. I'm guessing Grabbag, at least. ;)

• Composer

Has anyone ever messed with an aggregator called DistroKid? Bobby Prince recommends it highly, but he's got his own "label" and BMI membership. I'm not on BMI or ASCAP, so I wonder what the consequences would be.

BTW, it would seem that N.A.R.A.S. (the Grammy organization) doesn't recognize Bandcamp. They've got to be able to confirm sales, and AFAIK Bandcamp doesn't fit their criteria.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's too bad, though it does make sense. I guess it is more of an indie scene. Still, it's the only place I've found where you can choose your own format of the music you buy. Bigger distribution sites should follow its example. Like I said before, though, I use CDBaby to get stuff on Amazon, iTunes, etc. Never used DistroKid before so I can't comment I'm afraid.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

• Composer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 October 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Like I said before, though, I use CDBaby to get stuff on Amazon, iTunes, etc.

What's the CDBaby process like, and how much does it cost?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLee Jackson, on 21 October 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Thanks, but I didn't directly work on Zero Hour. I was credited because some of my original Duke music was used in the game. I don't know who did "Mean Streets" or "Liberty or Death."

I do thank you for the kind words about the Anniversary Edition songs, though. Much obliged!

All of the Zero Hour music was composed by Neil Baldwin, he did the music for pretty much every Eurocom game.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options