Duke4.net Forums: Mapster32: New 2D select function with leftclick is f***** annoying! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster32: New 2D select function with leftclick is f***** annoying!  "It really is... sorry!"

User is offline   neoacix 

I've downloaded some new build of Eduke32 with Mapster32...

...and quickly take notice, that holding left mousebutton in 2D mode now selects different areas, which was previously only done by holding down shift.
Nice idea, if it would work right!
Because now, in every case I want to move a point in a wall, I have to be precisely over that point, where in the old version you just have to be near it.
And that's just f***** annoying!

You have to zoom close to the point to hit it.
That's just... not good.

Suggestion: Enhance the radius for point selections or drop the new function.

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

^This. It does more harm than good really. Mapster definitely needs to be better at moving stuff around. It'd also be nice if you can move stuff when you're extremely zoomed out. Right now for example if you highlight some sprites, and then zoom out to the extent that most sprites disappear (except the highlighted ones), you're unable to interact with the highlighted sprites.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postneoacix, on 30 September 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

I've downloaded some new build of Eduke32 with Mapster32...

...and quickly take notice, that holding left mousebutton in 2D mode now selects different areas, which was previously only done by holding down shift.
Nice idea, if it would work right!
Because now, in every case I want to move a point in a wall, I have to be precisely over that point, where in the old version you just have to be near it.
And that's just f***** annoying!

You have to zoom close to the point to hit it.
That's just... not good.

Suggestion: Enhance the radius for point selections or drop the new function.

The change in distance for selecting/moving things was requested by Levelord, but you can tweak it in mapster32.cfg and in the console with "pointhighlightdist" and "linehighlightdist".

• Honored Donor

Gee Mapster's full of little surprises. I don't know when that picture-in-picture 3D mode in 2D mode came in but it's pretty damn cool.

While we're on the topic of the new mouse selection, has there been any fix for how in isometric view, holding the middle mouse button and moving the mouse would change the elevation of the 'player view' which was useful for TROR, but is now overwritten with sector select?

Thx for the fast reply TX!

But I guess these values are absolute values and not relative.
Just tested with pointhighlightdist=512 and it doesn't make it really better when you zoomed out.

Edit: Okay, 1024 works fine.

Btw, and with respect to Levelord, but is mapster now going to be matched to the needs of some famous mappers?
RLY?

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostMicky C, on 30 September 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Gee Mapster's full of little surprises. I don't know when that picture-in-picture 3D mode in 2D mode came in but it's pretty damn cool.

Oh, that sounds interessting, may I use this thread to quickly ask how?

• Honored Donor

View Postneoacix, on 30 September 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Oh, that sounds interessting, may I use this thread to quickly ask how?

No. You must always be on topic at Duke4.net Posted Image

Couldn't say that with a straight face Posted Image

Just press F10 in 2D mode, a small window with the 3D view appears in the top right corner. You can even interact with the view just like being in proper 3D mode which is incredibly useful.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postneoacix, on 30 September 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Btw, and with respect to Levelord, but is mapster now going to be matched to the needs of some mappers that produce money?
RLY?

Fixed that for you.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 30 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

View PostMicky C, on 30 September 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Just press F10 in 2D mode, a small window with the 3D view appears in the top right corner. You can even interact with the view just like being in proper 3D mode which is incredibly useful.

Thanks! That's a real cool feature I missed! And...

View PostMike Norvak, on 30 September 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Fixed that for you.

...thanks, I guess. xD

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

• el fundador

You can also press shift + F10 to resize the window, and press ctrl + the arrow keys to move it around the screen. I need to hook the movement up to the mouse still.

Since it's 2d + 3d mode together, maybe I should pull a Winamp and call it 5d mode. ;)

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 30 September 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

You can also press shift + F10 to resize the window, and press ctrl + the arrow keys to move it around the screen. I need to hook the movement up to the mouse still.

Since it's 2d + 3d mode together, maybe I should pull a Winamp and call it 5d mode. ;)

Considering pretty much everyone has widescreens these days, what are the chances of one day having a full on splitscreen between 2D and 3D mode, completely removing the need to switch between the two?

• el fundador

I don't think it would be that hard, at least for classic mode. Making it work with GL modes would take significantly more work. Classic mode is already running in the same video mode for both 2d and 3d.

It looks like a lot of the recent changes to the editor have been met with some, uh, spirited reactions. I promise not to make the editor unusable! ;)

View PostTerminX, on 30 September 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

I promise not to make the editor unusable! ;)

I hope so! :D
Btw, I think splitscreen will only add confusion. I'm gettíng used to use keyboard shortcuts for 2D and 3D. If I got both on my screen and it depends where my mouse is pointing, it would only be getting more complicated, imho.

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

• Honored Donor

View Postneoacix, on 30 September 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

I hope so! ;)
Btw, I think splitscreen will only add confusion. I'm gettíng used to use keyboard shortcuts for 2D and 3D. If I got both on my screen and it depends where my mouse is pointing, it would only be getting more complicated, imho.

Are there really that many keyboard combinations that don't specially rely on the mouse pointing at something though?

Hm.... maybe not many.
But I just think of saving the map and then exit, or testing.
I hit all the keys needed without even watching where my mouse is or what's going on on my display.

Sure, it's just convenience, but I prefere the old switch between 2D and 3D.

But as an additional option, it sure may be a feature. ;-)

New 2D select function with leftclick is f***** annoying!

Agreed 100%

This should be a toggle and optional not a feature your forced to deal with.

I suggest pointhighlightdist=1024 in mapster32.cfg for standard.

View Postneoacix, on 11 October 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

I suggest pointhighlightdist=1024 in mapster32.cfg for standard.

IT WORKS! really well now THANKS! ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options