Duke4.net Forums: Duke Time to Kill (Release) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Time to Kill (Release)  "First Map"

User is offline   Flesh420 

Hey guys. Duke Nukem Time to Kill was my first proper Duke experience. I was allowed to play Doom but Duke was off limits because of the Sexual content and my Dad didn't know that you could enable parental lock. So one day he bought me one of those PS1 demo discs that had however many demos on one disc, and DNTTK just happened to be on it. I played the fuck out of that demo.
I've been a Doom mapper for many years and have always wanted to map for Duke but always too lazy to learn Build until very recently when I finally sat down and cracked my knuckles. This is my first Duke map and I'm still learning how to do things with Build, but it's been very fun so far and I plan to make many more. Hyper detailing is out of the question at the moment because I'm still accustoming myself with Build's way of sector building.

Some stuff isn't totally implemented yet like Coop starts or DM game-play, and I still would like to revise some things to change difficulty more than just monster count. I'll do that shit later. In the meantime though tell me what yall think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.filedropper.com/ttk_1

This post has been edited by Flesh420: 25 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

I'll try it out.

You should put ( Release ) in the threads title so people know its a map release, I almost didn't realize that it was a map and passed it over.

Played it, I liked it and saw only 1 error ( Swing doors in bar bathroom have relitive and shaded ceilings ).

Other than that it was great, and even challenging at times, and I liked the atmosphere and layout.

You even took the time to have the fems spawn monsters.

Awsome 1st map keep it up ;)

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 22 September 2016 - 01:28 AM

Captain Massive, on 21 September 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

I'll try it out.

You should put ( Release ) in the threads title so people know its a map release, I almost didn't realize that it was a map and passed it over.

Played it, I liked it and saw only 1 error ( Swing doors in bar bathroom have relitive and shaded ceilings ).

Other than that it was great, and even challenging at times, and I liked the atmosphere and layout.

You even took the time to have the fems spawn monsters.

Awsome 1st map keep it up ;)

Thanks! I know what you mean by shaded ceilings but what do you mean by relative ceilings?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

When he says "relative ceilings", he means the ceiling of the rotating door sector has the texture relativity bit set, meaning that when the sector moves the alignment of the ceiling texture will be relative to that sector's first wall. You can press R in 3D mode to toggle the relativity bit of a ceiling or floor.

I thought they were relative from the glimpse I saw of them while playing, turns out its just the shading apon closer examination.

If you tab copy the shade over be sure to check the doors tags, becuase that will reset them in most cases, or just use shift+enter and check the tags just to be safe.

User is online   zykov eddy 

I liked it. It was simple, but very fun to play. Pretty good for a first DN3D map. Does mapping for Duke feel different from mapping for Doom?

User is online   blizzart 

A very nice map for a first release. Short but I like it.

zykov eddy, on 22 September 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

I liked it. It was simple, but very fun to play. Pretty good for a first DN3D map. Does mapping for Duke feel different from mapping for Doom?

Thanks guys.
It's weird, Doom is easier only because of Doom Builder and you're not restricted anymore to doing things "proper." With Build you're forced to follow the "rules" more, like how I draw sectors, whereas in Doom I can do whatever without having to worry about map corruption. Duke's more fun though because sprites add a new dimension, and the special effects are allot easier than I anticipated to work with than Doom's soure-port hacks. Build's are like baked-in hacks, or something. There's a gritty feeling to Duke that's more fun than Doom, I think. Something about the engine.

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't have too much to say about the map, it's short but fun. Some things don't seem to be quite to scale.

Filedropper is not a super ideal place to share your map since it deletes the file after a few days.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Lunick, on 22 September 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Filedropper is not a super ideal place to share your map since it deletes the file after a few days.

So... you're saying it drops your files?

User is offline   Lunick 

TerminX, on 22 September 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

So... you're saying it drops your files?

Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Just checked it out, it's a decent first Duke map - if you stick with it, Build definitely is a fun classic engine to work with. If you have time I'd suggest checking out MSDN and playing a bunch of maps to get a feel for what you can do with build.

Lunick, on 22 September 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

DUN..DUN...DUUUUN

My daughter said it was missing dramatic music.

User is offline   Polunka 

Definitely a really good one for a first map. Felt like one of those early Duke maps from the end of 90s - in a good way. Btw, I was glad you had set an almost proper balance between ammo and monsters (at least for CGS difficulty; that's what I played on). Keep it up and we may see you later with some high-quality levels ;)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 24 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

Fun map, quality Duking, kudos for getting your map out! I liked the bit of jetpack use and how you could approuch areas from different directions, and the fun "cozy" feel of it, being a smaller city area. Rock on ;)

Thanks guys. I'd like to make a whole episode of city maps because those are my favorite Duke maps.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Solid release. The looks is quite far from top notch yet, but layout and gameplay easily compensate for that.

Captain Massive, on 21 September 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

Even better: "[RELEASE] Duke Time to Kill", which seems to be the established standard and makes it easy to browse the thread titles for recent releases.

Flesh420, on 25 September 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Thanks guys. I'd like to make a whole episode of city maps because those are my favorite Duke maps.
Looking forward to the things to come. ;)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 27 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

It's a fun little map, layout works pretty well. In terms of improvement, I'd say the texturing and trimming can be better. But for a first map this is quite good!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options