Duke4.net Forums: Small fun city map CHALLENGE! (Winner gets World Tour) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Small fun city map CHALLENGE! (Winner gets World Tour)

Three and a half weeks until Duke Nukem 3D World Tour is out! I look forward to that new episode, but here's a random idea. Small fun city map CHALLENGE! That's right.

Three weeks is a reasonable amount of time to make a small to medium sized map, doesn't need to be super detailed or innovative. If anybody has time and is interested, seems like a good excuse for a mapping competition/challenge. And I for one am willing to shell out twenty American dollars to buy a Steam code and buy the winner a copy of World Tour! Oh yes. The mappers here post really detailed impressive maps, but you could look at this as a speedmapping challenge and get a little more sloppy if it helps.

A twenty dollar value isn't the biggest prize, but if you feel like making a map anyway, having a specific idea might be a fun way to get it going!

Just a city map, fun, ideally not too confusing, the one I like the best will get a steam code PM'ed to them from yours truly!

Let's say the finish date for posting a map is Saturday October 8th, three weeks from now, a few days before World Tour is out. I will be a fair and impartial judge, and I'm fairly easy to please!

* if only a couple joke maps are submitted I reserve the right to not award a prize, but that seems unlikely. And the map should be one started just now for this competition.

Just an idea, but hey I'm good for it if you folks want to get some mapping going.

* I notice Turok/Duke64 already owns the game, but you can still win if you want to Turok, we can get you a similar prize if so. :D

If there's a bunch of interest (seems unlikely), we could see if anybody else wants to get a runner up something etc I dunno. :D

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Interesting idea, I might participate. Some stuff from ebay would be better though Posted Image

Right on, I've enjoyed your maps before, it might be more complicated to have a less specific prize, but we could figure something out possibly. And making a great map is... it's own reward... GI Joe could probably sell something like that anyway. :D

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

How would we know that the map is made from scratch and without using "pieces" from older maps? :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This could do well if the maps are designed to be 3-5 minutes long, not unlike the 1.5 hour map episode or Duke Hard. I'll think about participating.

View PostMike Norvak, on 16 September 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

How would we know that the map is made from scratch and without using "pieces" from older maps? :D

It did occur to me, somebody could as a prank put a block from some great 1999 map I didn't happen to play. But hopefully somebody else would notice and say something if so, and surely there's some kind of code of honor involved. :D

View PostMicky C, on 16 September 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

This could do well if the maps are designed to be 3-5 minutes long, not unlike the 1.5 hour map episode or Duke Hard. I'll think about participating.

Groovy!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Speaking of challenge ...
Spoiler

User is offline   Merlijn 

Sounds like a cool challenge, don't know yet if I'll participate but I'll think about it!

I agree with Micky, keeping the maps short and simple will make the challenge more accessible.

Perhaps as an extra challenge, it would be fun if every map needs to include some reference to the home town of the participant? (since the theme is "world tour"?).
Could be a building, a statue, a sign on the wall.. Anything.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 17 September 2016 - 02:13 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I like the idea but I think it would be better if a community poll/vote would designate the winner; and for that, you need to leave at least a week to let enough people the time to play and vote.

I'll do something quick if enough people join in.

What about other rules? So theme = city map? New textures/codes ? vanilla/eduke32 ? singleplayer/multiplayer ? polymer lights? etc

User is offline   juvenite 

View PostMerlijn, on 17 September 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

Sounds like a cool challenge, don't know yet if I'll participate but I'll think about it!
Perhaps as an extra challenge, it would be fun if every map needs to include some reference to the home town of the participant? (since the theme is "world tour"?).
Could be a building, a statue, a sign on the wall.. Anything.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. And sorry for the downvote, it was an accident Posted Image

And about the main post, I'll think about it. I'm a beginner in mapping stuff so it's really, really unlikely I'll win this. But it's also a opportunity to learn and test my skills right?

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 17 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

Wow weird... I was just thinking about doing someting like this after playing Metropolitan Mayhem episode, just last night, suggested to me by @MetHy after I asked him for levels similar to Insurance Overload (aka EDF Bureau).

Plus I need a break from space/moon/underwater base stuff.

Only thing is, I already oun world tour, so not in it to win it for that, and would have too reject the prize or donate it to the needy if by some small chance I won.

View PostMike Norvak, on 16 September 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

How would we know that the map is made from scratch and without using "pieces" from older maps? ;)

I re-use assets every chance I get (especially doors, but often touch them up to be even better or change the look), I left an example on this thread https://forums.duke4...303#entry260303
:Note theres no doors on my goodies map I rip them direct from my other levels if need be, or my testing grounds.

So does that mean if wanted to take chunks from my kitchen on my older map, or use a saved assets map that would be a disqualifier?

I have some unreleased/unfinnished stuff as well I could take parts from and no-one would be the wiser (not even including my testing grounds which has some interesting stuff as well).

This is need to know before I start slapping cola machines and barriers all over the place from my goodies/saved assets.map. (or re-use my washing machines).

I'm sure alot of people have unfinnished projects lying around as well soooo... yea, thats a thing.

Or are you talking about older maps in general? becuase that should never be done in any circumstance.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I want to offer improved challenge theme:
  • City map;
  • Map must have exactly 100 sectors;
  • Map must not have more than 800 walls;
  • Map must not have more than 400 sprites (SE, monsters, pick-ups ... count);
  • Map must have exactly 20 wall/floor textures (sky texture counts).

View PostMetHy, on 17 September 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

I like the idea but I think it would be better if a community poll/vote would designate the winner; and for that, you need to leave at least a week to let enough people the time to play and vote.

I'll do something quick if enough people join in.

What about other rules? So theme = city map? New textures/codes ? vanilla/eduke32 ? singleplayer/multiplayer ? polymer lights? etc

Ah, like I mentioned in the op sorta, technically anybody can give somebody a prize if they want. Anybody can be a winner. ;) So if somebody else wanted to vote for example for a different winner than the map I like best, they could always just buy that other person World Tour, and say they consider that map the best one. But it's just a fun mapping challenge, me buying a game for the mapper of the map I like best is just something extra I'm choosing to do.

On further rules/guidelines: single-player, I'd be playing it in eduke32, doesn't need to be vanilla, my favorite renderer is Polymost but whichever the mapper prefers making is cool.

And the other ideas people have mentioned are fun too. Though I personally disagree with the specific number of walls/sectors/etc thing, but if that's something people feel like optionally doing for helping them limit the scope/make it more manageable for them, feel free. Groovy Street for example was made in a few weeks, and it has 369 sectors, 2795 walls, and 984 sprites. Small to medium map, whichever the mapper prefers to make.

And sure, if you like re-using doors or benches etc you've made that's cool, but overall it's fun for it to be "from scratch". But pretty much the main guideline is trying to make a fun city map in a few weeks, nothing too specific. And small is mostly just for the logistics of this, you don't have to worry about your map being disqualified for ending up too big or anything. I agree that keeping it on the small side makes this challenge more accessible, so I won't give longer maps extra weight when picking a fav, or something like that.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 17 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostCaptain Massive, on 17 September 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

I'm sure alot of people have unfinnished projects lying around as well soooo... yea, thats a thing.

Or are you talking about older maps in general? becuase that should never be done in any circumstance.

I'm talking about unrelesed maps by the same author. It is evident to me that if a contest like this is done the map needs to be made from scratch.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Sounds like a cool idea.

I have still yet to release any content (maps) because I'm a newbie when it comes to mapping for Build. I did do some stuff as training where I built a layout and added more complex things as I went thru with the tutorials (I think crackable walls and underwater areas were the most complex in it), but I lost all my work due to OS reinstall.

I have been wanting a reason to get back into mapping for Build and this might just be that ;)

User is offline   Mark 

View PostVazovski, on 17 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

I want to offer improved challenge theme:
  • City map;
  • Map must have exactly 100 sectors;
  • Map must not have more than 800 walls;
  • Map must not have more than 400 sprites (SE, monsters, pick-ups ... count);
  • Map must have exactly 20 wall/floor textures (sky texture counts).

I think so many limits will hurt creativity.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I'd really like to pull off a sector count limitation thing.
Considering that it's possible to join non-neighbouring sectors, would result in some cool stuff.
20 sectors should be enough, no wall/sprite limits.

Posted Image

quick & dirty 6 sectors

This post has been edited by oasiz: 17 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

Small to medium sized city map competition folks. Make any map you wanna make, if that map is a really tiny 20 sector map, that's cool too.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I will go with my restrictions. It is a challenge, not a "make a good map to get DN WT". My interest is challenge itself, but not working 3 weeks for 20$.

View PostMike Norvak, on 17 September 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm talking about unrelesed maps by the same author. It is evident to me that if a contest like this is done the map needs to be made from scratch.

Fair enough I won't be using any of my unreleased stuff just a sprite board which I'll post here so I have no edge.

My unreleased city stuff is mixed in here http://tinypic.com/u...kEA56ZMIA%3D%3D

Bowling alley and all. It won't make an appearence on this, If I decide to go forward.

Probably going with a car-wash instead which I havent drawn a single vertex of yet.

Everything from scratch even my venders that are just squares anyways (allthough I might copy the texture panning from them after I draw new ones).

Attached File(s)

User is offline   MetHy 

By the time everyone agrees on rules 3 weeks will have passed.

View PostVazovski, on 17 September 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

I will go with my restrictions. It is a challenge, not a "make a good map to get DN WT". My interest is challenge itself, but not working 3 weeks for 20$.

Nobody said not to? The point is just a fun mapping challenge, make anything you like. Nobody was suggesting you shouldn't do the restriction you want to do. And your last sentence is odd, who says I want to pay 20 dollars for a map? ;) I don't need a map (got lots to play), it's just a nice/fun thing to do.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 18 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I have always wanted to go vertical in a small city map with lots of TROR. I'm going to try to make it.

Spoiler

About two weeks left folks! Challenge end date is by the end of Saturday Oct 8th, will there be some maps?? Tune in to find out.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 24 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

View Postoasiz, on 17 September 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'd really like to pull off a sector count limitation thing.
Considering that it's possible to join non-neighbouring sectors, would result in some cool stuff.
20 sectors should be enough, no wall/sprite limits.

I think disjointed sectors might go against the spirit of the limitations...I'm sure that spritework-based architecture would be right out.

Also...what if we went all the way with the sector limitations, and allowed only one sector? Then we can see who can make the least-horrible one-sector levels.
(There would probably have to be additional rules to prevent circumvention of the limit, such as not allowing any non-billboarded sprites except the exit switch, or maybe not allowing any sprites at all except for items, enemies, and the exit switch (if the level has one), or something along those lines; also, disjointed sectors would certainly not be allowed.)

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 23 September 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

About two weeks left folks! Challenge end date is by the end of Saturday Sep 8th, will there be some maps?? Tune in to find out.

I'm firing up the time machine now ;) I guess you meant October, but just a thought, make it the monday since I wonder how many people get a lot of time other than at weekends ?

People should set their own limits - if someone can make a level in 20 sectors then go for it, based on oasiz's 6 sectors in an earlier post I'd be interested in seeing the result. Me, I seem to have used up a dozen sectors just getting fancy doors to open.

TTFN,
Jon

View PostThe Mechanic, on 24 September 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

I'm firing up the time machine now :D I guess you meant October, but just a thought, make it the monday since I wonder how many people get a lot of time other than at weekends ?

People should set their own limits - if someone can make a level in 20 sectors then go for it, based on oasiz's 6 sectors in an earlier post I'd be interested in seeing the result. Me, I seem to have used up a dozen sectors just getting fancy doors to open.

TTFN,
Jon

Good call on the typo, October 8th yep yep. I figure 3 weeks was a nice tidy number, plus it gives me a couple days to play the maps and get the code out before the game is out. That way somebody could get the code in time for the release. But of course people could keep working on a map longer anyway, just for the fun of making a map.

I guess to not be a stickler, if somebody is almost done I'd take a map on Sunday, but I'd like to get the code out by that Monday. On Tuesday the 11th (or Monday night depending on steam's release) I'll be playing that new episode. ;)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 24 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

User is offline   Wolf 

I must apologize -- I was going to work on this contest but circumstances have forced me to forfeit.

See, I decided to use my "vacation" time to work on this duke map, but now that's up and it's unfinished.

I'm going to be posting the unfinished map and two earlier drafts here, however, to show that OP's contest wasn't without enthusiasm.

I'm also gonna post the thought processes behind the maps. So... skip past that if you aren't interested.

Here are the maps!

drafts.zip

----------------------------

I haven't touched anything duke related for about 2 years, so I was a bit rusty, and to top it all off, my keyboard doesn't even have a numpad, so it was difficult to remap everything and get it working comfortably.

Anyway, I went through a total of three major ideas of what I wanted the maps to be.

My first map were the streets. (con-streets-walls.map)

I wanted a realistic L.A. feel to them to add to the duke-ness, so I scouted for a cool location in google earth and finally found one, here.

So the map is roughly based on that. I replaced the second parking lot on the left with a Duke Burger, however, and styled it around the In-n-Out in Anaheim hills, seen here.

It's unfortunate, but it appears I didn't save a version with the second level of TROR, including all the cool empty squares in the wall of the Mannequin Mall. (EDIT: I did save a "first attempt" as RORTEST.map and that's as close as I can get -- it's now named con-streets-ror_v1.map and it also shows the map before the super constricting barricades were put in.)

While I was making this level, I realized I was making too big of an area - a leftover habit of my modding days, as I loved making hub worlds for my mod. I wanted this map to follow the vanilla Duke3D flow, so I didn't want the player moving out that far.
So as I kept building, I kept creating these invisible walls to fence the player in.

This made me frustrated, as I was making exactly the kind of level I hated - all that free space but some stupid excuse never to go explore it.

I mean, even in Duke64 you could get mad at seeing Rabid Transit from Gun Crazy. "Wow, that looks cool!" but no way to get to it - until you realize that it's a level later on. It's... cathartic to finally explore it. I digress.

So, I scrapped the entire idea. I wanted to make a level that at least had clear, thoughtfully-designed reasons why you couldn't enter some areas, and with tons of freedom.

-------

Then came the tower. It was to be a sort of DNF-inspired billionaire playboy hotel that Duke owned that was under attack. (con-tower.map)

You'd have to make your way down (via many routes) to the ground level:

The first was the elevator, which was going to contain a dead doom guy and a bunch of bulletholes to signify that going down there was dangerous. If you chose that way, you'd hope you had a lot of health because it'd be a veritable firing squad of enemies.
I was going to give a lot of cover so that it wasn't a punishment, but rather a challenge, and if you had collected all the secret health/equipment on the way, it'd make it easier for you to survive going that way.

The second way was going to be the fire escape, which would've bypassed the hotel lobby altogether.

The third way was the vents, which would've taken you to a flanking position in the lobby, which would've had C-9 hidden behind pillars not visible from the elevator exit. Destroying these would've started a chain reaction that cleared the lobby for the player, allowing an easy exit.

Your battle through the streets would eventually take you to the sewers, then to the edge of town, where you'd face off against the Battlelord during a big earthquake.

That's what it was on paper, at least. When it finally came to, I realized a lot of the effects I wanted wouldn't be available, as well as the street sequence being (nearly) impossible to live up to what the hotel was going to be excitement-wise.

Cooooooool, huh?

So, it was scrapped, and finally came a compromise between the hotel and the streets.

-------

I kept asking myself what my favorite "start" of a map was, and out of all of them I really loved E1L1's roof. This also reminded me of the Vixens II mod, which, while the mod was just okay, had a really cool intro that was a homage to E1L1's.

So I decided I would do an E1L1 homage. (con-final.map)

It seemed like OP is a big fan of all things duke, so I figured it'd be appreciated.

I remembered as a kid wishing that,

1) You piloted the crashing ship and had to jump out,
2) you could go into the (what I thought was a) skylight in the intro.

So I did those two things, which weren't bad given I haven't ever really used sectoreffectors in all my modding days. (Most of my stuff didn't call for big flashy effects, at least, not until the "later" that never came.)

I was going to make the whole thing like an updated E1L1, complete with theater and all, but... well...
I got caught up in editing and how fun it could be, to the point where I started making a lot of level design errors. Like... not doing an art pass until core level design was in place (which is also kinda hard to obey considering TROR's nature) and not adding cool shit where the player wasn't meant to go.

Like all thowe stores, for instance! All the shops you'll see on the street there were intended to be furnished, but empty and non-enterable. Just for some high-detail atmosphere.

Oh well! It was fun as heck doing it! So, I'm uploading the maps for anyone to explore (they're not really "playable" in the fun sense, so I recommend just flying through in mapster with noclip.) I'm uploading them for the same reason I never discard any writing - it may provide an inspiration later. Maybe not to me, since I doubt I'll have time in my future for any more duke modding, but maybe to someone who stumbles upon this and sees them.

-----------------------------

Phew!

So that's it. I realize unplayable maps are essentially just digital litter, but maybe someone can see something from them.

Heck, if anyone feels they're up to it, they can take what I've made and work on them some more. No credit needed or anything.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity, and best of luck to everyone left working on these!

Very cool! I just flew through these in mapster, cool stuff, I appreciate the time you put into this. The creative spirit of Duke grooviness is alive and well! ;)

One week left! Just one last bump, in case anybody missed it.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options