Duke4.net Forums: Duke Forces Coop? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Forces Coop?

User is offline   cj31387 

Man this is like one of the best mods I've ever played.

Is it possible to do the whole story coop, if so how?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I haven't tried coop using eduke32 in many years, and my understanding is that it's pretty broken. Beyond that, Duke Forces itself isn't coded with coop in mind, so I would need to update it first for it to work properly.

I have actually thought about adding support for split-screen couch coop, though, so I could play it with my family at home. Would split-screen interest you?

User is offline   cj31387 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 September 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

I haven't tried coop using eduke32 in many years, and my understanding is that it's pretty broken. Beyond that, Duke Forces itself isn't coded with coop in mind, so I would need to update it first for it to work properly.

I have actually thought about adding support for split-screen couch coop, though, so I could play it with my family at home. Would split-screen interest you?

Split screen would be awesome, thats why I bought a steam link a few months back. There needs to be a lot more coop split games imo.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Didn't someone try to code a splitscreen mod a while ago and had some problems?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 15 September 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

Didn't someone try to code a splitscreen mod a while ago and had some problems?

I dunno about the problems, but I remember someone doing it some years back, and there is also some code for it in the sample CONs that come with eDuke32.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ah that rings a bell, I think the code with eduke32 is the one I'm thinking of, and that Helixhorned made a few changes before including it from memory. Still not sure how well it works though. It'd be interesting to see what you can do with it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 September 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

I dunno about the problems, but I remember someone doing it some years back, and there is also some code for it in the sample CONs that come with eDuke32.

Those are one and the same. Unfortunately it required hacks in the source that I disabled because they adversely affected fake multiplayer mode, and changes to our network code broke the sample CONs.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 15 September 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

Those are one and the same. Unfortunately it required hacks in the source that I disabled because they adversely affected fake multiplayer mode, and changes to our network code broke the sample CONs.

Do you think there are workarounds? I don't understand how network code should have any bearing on splitscreen anyway. My plan would be to make a useractor that looks like a player and have it controlled by unused input functions, then use showview for the two different viewpoints.

• Weaponized Autism

I think I made workarounds and sent them and a build of EDuke32 with the splitscreen hacks reenabled to someone in a PM or email a while ago.

The splitscreen mod is a total hack though.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 16 September 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

The splitscreen mod is a total hack though.

Oh, my version would be too -- maybe even more total. I did a ninja edit of my post above while you are replying so maybe you didn't see my suggestions.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 16 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

• Weaponized Autism

The networking stuff has to do with the fact that the splitscreen mod requires fake multiplayer mode, and currently there is some kind of bug that causes the player to always get killed instantly.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 16 September 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

The networking stuff has to do with the fact that the splitscreen mod requires fake multiplayer mode, and currently there is some kind of bug that causes the player to always get killed instantly.

So yeah like I said I would make the other player a useractor controlled by the otherwise useless input functions, thereby bypassing fake multiplayer stuff.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options