Duke4.net Forums: Interplay is selling its assets - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interplay is selling its assets

User is offline   Lunick 

https://www.rockpape...nterplay-games/

Interplay has entertained millions of players with its well-recognized games, including Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, and Descent. As game creators, we are proud of the entertainment these properties have provided over the years. With the proliferation of mobile, augmented reality, virtual reality and other new forms of consumption, we believe that consumers are ready to experience and interact with Interplay’s characters, stories and game play in ways never possible before. We look forward to seeing how this unique portfolio of interactive entertainment icons will evolve for the worldwide audience.

https://globenewswir...ic-Advisor.html

For more information about Interplay's sale of intellectual property, please contact Joe Morgan at Wedbush Securities (joe.morgan@wedbush.com), who has been engaged by the company to assist in this process.

User is offline   ashura252 

Came here to make this thread but you beat me to it.
The press release also mentions Redneck Rampage, which I assumed some people here were fans of.
https://globenewswir...ic-Advisor.html
I hope someone does something cool with Earthwork Jim.

This post has been edited by ashura252: 08 September 2016 - 03:53 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Devolver or Interceptor or General Arcade should buy Redneck Rampage !

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Who wants to go in with me to buy Kingpin?

I move we (Duke4) buy Redneck Rampage. I figure if we all pool our money together, we'll have well over $60!

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I'm broke. I'll take a shopping cart and go around and pick up aluminum cans.

I would like to see another MDK.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 08 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

I hoping Revival Productions LLC (founded by the creators of Parallax Software of the Descent games who is working on Overload) buys the rights to the Descent and Freespace IP. And rename their game Descent: Overload and maybe one day create Freespace 3.

View PostMarphy Black, on 08 September 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

I move we (Duke4) buy Redneck Rampage. I figure if we all pool our money together, we'll have well over $60!

This. Open source Redneck Rampage and Kingpin: Life of Crime please! And I would like to see the Xatrix Entertainment rise from the dead w/ all of the original crew back in action but that's a pipe dream it seems. :D

Here's All Your History's sad episode a/b the rise and fall of Interplay.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 08 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

Herve and Eric Caen really needs to piss off back to France. Their management capabilities is abysmal, founded the shitty Hepa Titus C Software and created the most hated games in history; Superman 64.

Interplay needs to be put down and enter the history books after they sell off all of their assets. It was a great company back then but their financial troubles could've been avoided if Brian Fargo put up Interplay's IPO at the right time. I really loved the Descent series, Redneck Rampage,and Clayfighter 1 and 2 when I was 13-14 years old.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 08 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

Whats the over/under on the amount of IPs Nightdive is going to end up purchasing from this?
I got money on at least one

User is offline   ---- 

Redneck Rampage would be cool if it became open source and rebootet.

The theme is awesome. There was a UT2004 usermap, HIllbilly Barn or so (deathmatch), that had more interactivity and gags in one barn and a few sourroundings than most games nowadays.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Heard back from Joe Morgan this morning. They're only looking to sell the entire portfolio to a single bidder, and Redneck Rampage was conspicuously absent from the materials they sent me. Bummer.

View PostTerminX, on 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Heard back from Joe Morgan this morning. They're only looking to sell the entire portfolio to a single bidder, and Redneck Rampage was conspicuously absent from the materials they sent me. Bummer.

So who owns the Redneck Rampage IP?

Activision owns the redneck IP. Interplay just has/had publishing rights to the existing games.

View PostTerminX, on 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

In other words, not a damn thing will change and at most we'd see a Descent or Earthworm Jim game and nothing else.

• el fundador

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 September 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

In other words, not a damn thing will change and at most we'd see a Descent or Earthworm Jim game and nothing else.

Seems that way.

To be honest, I was only interested in Redneck Rampage because if we got our hands on the source code we could pretty easily make a quick buck by creating a port to Windows based on EDuke32.

View Postparticle cannon, on 08 September 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Activision owns the redneck IP. Interplay just has/had publishing rights to the existing games.

The programmer of Redneck Rampage Rafael Paiz owns the RR trademark according to Hank.

View PostHank, on 16 July 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

http://www.tmfile.co...rk/?q=867281421
It's with the original programmer, Rafael Paiz.

Here's the talk between me and Hendricks266 a/b the RR ownership from the Redneck Rampage Corner.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 17 July 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

If Rafael Paiz has the tradmark and owns the RR IP. Could TerminX get in touch w/ him once again and talk to him a/b RR going open source and ask him who do you need to ask permission to release the source code under GPL? Is it Interplay that you need permission to ask? Hope the RR rights isn't in a Blood-sized and NOLF-size legal mess.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 July 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

I did try contacting Greg Goodrich on LinkedIn when I had a free trial of Premium but he didn't respond.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 17 July 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

Hmm. Can you try again? There's got to be a way to get a hold of Greg and Rafael a/b this. Frederik Schreiber possesses a copy of Kingpin: Life of Crime's source code. I really like to see Xatrix Entertainment games go open source. Is there a way Fred can get in touch w/ them or something? Interplay has another sale on GOG.com and Redneck Rampage and Kingpin: Life of Crime is on sale. Get them while they're cheap.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 July 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Maybe when Voidpoint is more well-known.

EDIT: One other thing. Frederik Schreiber possesses Kingpin: Life of Crime's source code. Maybe Interceptor/3D Realm can buy the Kingpin IP?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 08 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

I got a reply from herve Caen himself he said they auctioned the redneck IP to Activision. Dont take his word, I didn't, but its a fact that the company vivendi purchased the redneck IP or some aspect to that IP. They paid like 250 thousand USD. Perhaps that programmer has some rights but he doesn't have entire property ownership. Also interplay doesn't have source. And Frederick doesn't have the source either he just has the SDK.

This post has been edited by particle cannon: 08 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I just want Cyberia for myself.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Why do people run companies into the ground, and then have no problems getting people to give them more money to throw away?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I can't even believe it's possible to run a company to the ground when you own such high class IPs.

User is offline   MetHy 

So no changes for RR. Fuck this.

Rides Again deserves more recognition.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 September 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

Who wants to go in with me to buy Kingpin?

I do I do and I just really want this. Non-butchered classic fps in modern times, is it possible?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Do they still have Descent and Freespace? Are any more Interplay games coming off GOG soon in light of this? Should I be getting Starfleet Command and whatnot?

• el fundador

I think Descent was on the list but it was just the trademark.

User is offline   ---- 

OK, then no Redneck Rampage.

If interceptor is successful with Ruff ... errr ... Rad ... they could make a shooter called Hillbilly Havoc or so.

View Postspessu_sb, on 08 September 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

I do I do and I just really want this. Non-butchered classic fps in modern times, is it possible?

Ill jump as well.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 September 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

OK, then no Redneck Rampage.

If interceptor is successful with Ruff ... errr ... Rad ... they could make a shooter called Hillbilly Havoc or so.

I wasn't really a fan of Redneck Rampage. People are sort of blowing the comparisons between Ruff 'n' Tumble and Rad Rodgers out of proportion, their Kickstarter even says it pays homage to a dozen different retro titles. If homage is tantamount to plagiarism someone needs to go arrest George Broussard and probably find Quentin Tarantino while they're at it.

There's one guy that I don't want him to get his hands on the Freespace IP.

Spoiler

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostTerminX, on 08 September 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

I think Descent was on the list but it was just the trademark.
This is correct. Interplay own the Descent name, and nothing else. The actual games are owned by Parallax Software, which is still a legal entity for royalties, copyrights etc. despite effectively splitting into Volition and Outrage in 1997. Interplay lost the rights to sell the games recently due to their refusing to pay Parallax royalties for nearly a decade. So whoever gets Descent out of this is basically getting a seven letter word and not much else.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 08 September 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

There's one guy that I don't want him to get his hands on the Freespace IP.

Spoiler

Smart is mostly retired and spends most of his time trolling Star Citizen people nowadays, so you probably don't have a whole lot to fear here.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

An actual Windows port of the Redneck Rampage games would have been awesome as I think it's based on the Duke3d version of Build and the TCs people try to make with EDuke32 don't feel like the game.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options