Duke4.net Forums: What are cool things you done with coding - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are cool things you done with coding

Hello post pictures or talk about the coolest thing you done so far for duke nukem 3d!

View Postduke a number1, on 07 September 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Hello post pictures or talk about the coolest thing you done so far for duke nukem 3d!

I made a bed lower into the floor when you step on it, revealing a thingy where a keycard is. *boom*

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 September 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

I made a bed lower into the floor when you step on it, revealing a thingy where a keycard is. *boom*

i love it!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

In 2008, I made a sector-based dynamic lighting system.

I abandoned it when Polymer was released, but because it was sector-based it worked in the software renderer which was cool.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 September 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

In 2008, I made a sector-based dynamic lighting system.

I abandoned it when Polymer was released, but because it was sector-based it worked in the software renderer which was cool.

The PC version of Powerslave had a sector based "dynamic" light system. Some enemies shots and fireballs emit light. However it looks kind of awkward because it is sector based, the shot/fireball emits lights in the entire sector its in and stops as soon as it's in another sector, which can look weird if it goes through sectors of varying sizes and shapes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 08 September 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

The PC version of Powerslave had a sector based "dynamic" light system. Some enemies shots and fireballs emit light. However it looks kind of awkward because it is sector based, the shot/fireball emits lights in the entire sector its in and stops as soon as it's in another sector, which can look weird if it goes through sectors of varying sizes and shapes.

Yeah it's not very practical. You would have to make sure that the maps were designed with the system in mind, and that would eat up walls very fast. However, now that I think about it, the system would be ideal for making a game where you manipulate light sources to solve puzzles in small maps. Since all the light handling code is in CON, it's easy to detect how much light is on an actor or surface, the number, location and distance of light sources, etc. So, for example, I could use it to make a door that only opens if you shine a certain amount of light on it ( by carrying light sources to it or whatever). That could even be combined with normal gameplay in the same map so long as the light puzzle area is built correctly. EDIT: nevermind, what I just said is really dumb...you can detect anything you need to about lights in polymer right now, having the light system in CON doesn't really make it any easier

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 08 September 2016 - 01:09 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I looked before and couldn't find any link to the animated skybox code. Was it actually released somewhere in standalone form? Or is it something embedded in a project?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

As part of my PhD, I'm developing a way to generate virtual soil profiles with random field theory, but with complex geology in a formation process that mimics the natural processes of erosion and deposit. It's early days yet but there's progress being made.

Posted Image

View Postduke a number1, on 07 September 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

for duke nukem 3d!

Oh.

User is offline   Mark 

Micky, In line 1227 of your code X should be X/2. :D

User is offline   Perro Seco 

That sector-based dynamic lighting and the rain/snow effect are very cool.

I made another rain effect based on the tutorial from Eduke32 Wiki. It also has some lightnings:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 08 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMark., on 08 September 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I looked before and couldn't find any link to the animated skybox code. Was it actually released somewhere in standalone form? Or is it something embedded in a project?

I never released it. It's just showview with some moving textures.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah you can see a very similar effect in the AMC TC Episode 2.

View PostMark., on 08 September 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Micky, In line 1227 of your code X should be X/2. :D

Which file? I've got about 130 of them.

And I'm using fortran so it should be real(x)/2 to avoid truncation if x is an integer Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 08 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Several cool things.

Elevator that moves horizontal and then vertically.
Pretty complicated coding mixed with standard Duke effects
(shown before)

Addon testing

Along side other effects on my mod and the contributed levels for AMC TC, sliding doors (SE 15 ST 25) that closes after delay.
tons more

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

That's pretty impressive.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Menu system + language select (english + russian) in The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face;

Slenderman AI in Slender's Woods;

Flashlight mechanics in Slender's Woods;

Skybox system in Electric Highways;

Cutscenes in The Wall;

Item system in Yume Nikki 3D;

TV minigame in Yume Nikki 3D;

Eggman boss in STH3D;

Character select in STH3D (ability to play as other characters);

3D model optimisation in STH3D (now probably outdated and useless, but really helped in 2010);

Player mechanics in STH3D (took me years to code).

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 16 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options