Duke4.net Forums: Are/Were There Any Attempts to Fan-Remake DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are/Were There Any Attempts to Fan-Remake DNF?  "To make it more based on the 1998/2001 trailers."

I know there was the DNF 2013 mod for Duke Nukem 3D, but is there any other attempts known? It would be interesting to see a community of fans re-write the basic plot of DNF and program a game based in the Quake 2 engine or whatever. Also, leave down your own plot ideas for DNF, but still following the basic themes of the official versions.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Interesting idea, but if you use anything other than EDuke32, then the nice people at Gearbox will send you a C&D order.

If they can fix some of the issues with Polymer, then it might just be possible.

It would be fun to make something like the DNF mod, but with next gen models.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

When PolymerNG gets further along I've always sort of envisioned an extended revised version of DNF mod 2013 using all the graphical bells and whistles. Would be awesome.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The developers wouldn't be interested in that. Still, there's nothing stopping you from learning mapping and modelling and doing it yourself Posted Image

There's also Duke Nukem Eternity which at the moment is by far the closest thing we have to a modern Duke game on eduke32.

But yeah there have been a few attempts to do DNF on other engines, all met with C&D's. Most recently Duke Nukem Cataclysm. There was also a Duke Nukem Half Life mod many years ago.

• Polymancer

With DNF, everyone seems to be concentrated on the earlier 2000 era version. It would be very possible to do a version of that in EDuke with Polymer. You just use the dynamic lights with Q2 style models.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

That would be really neat. DNF 2013 was great but it can't shake the feeling of being what it is, a Duke Nukem 3D mod the whole way through. If you used what Polymer is capable of you could get a lot closer and even surpass what DNF 1998/2001 did (avoiding the dynamic lighting that made the game really dark had them start the game over is probably best.)

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 07 September 2016 - 11:33 PM

I've wanted to (secretly, for obvious reasons) do some form of DNF 2001 & 2006-inspired Duke fangame on the Doom 3 engine, which was actually the main reason I played around with this:

However, model rigging and animating ended up being the bane of my existence so I couldn't manage to get a Duke model ingame for testing :D

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 10 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

• Polymancer

We released the Blender source files for the HRP Duke model. It's a shame that MD5 is such a pain in the arse to work with.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

For a while, id did a really good job of avoiding the use of middleware, and that had the effect of involving formats that weren't widely supported or documented. With RAGE, DOOM 3 BFG, and DOOM 2016 that stance was thrown out the window, but looking back, other than using Paul Radek's horrible DMX library for sound for id Tech 1, a decision Carmack later regretted, for a long time all of their stuff was in-house. id Tech 4 didn't get used for very many projects that id wasn't also involved with (other than Prey, what other 3rd party games using the engine were there?) Perhaps that had the effect of making md5mesh even more obscure a format than id's previous mesh formats like md3 that debuted with id Tech 3 which is far more widely supported.

View PostTea Monster, on 11 September 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

We released the Blender source files for the HRP Duke model. It's a shame that MD5 is such a pain in the arse to work with.

That's actually the very same model I was trying to get in-game. However, now that I've modified the system so that it rotates the player model's chest rather than interpolating between a series of 'up', 'down' and 'forward' versions of each animation, I might be able to put the model in there without changes (aside from separating the head)

And well, BFG Edition (idTech 4.5) and the original engine (idTech 4) are open-source, so there's nothing really stopping me from adding another model format

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 11 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

• Polymancer

Doom 3 is a brilliant game. Even though it's the first real 'next-gen' game, it still looks damn good, and with the Sikkmod and texture replacements, it can look as good, if not better, than some modern titles.

MD5 isn't a bad format in and of itself (I have fixed problems with a text editor, which you can't say about a lot of formats ;-) ) . The problem is that the exporter for MD5 for Blender was written with a lot of rules that are hard to follow. It demands that all the movement bones be on one level and the driver bones be on another layer. The problem being that it can't decide which are which, resulting in playing musical levels with the bones in the rig till you decide 'Sod this!' and walk away. Either that or you try and remember how to do stuff in an ancient version of Blender that is akin to trying to build the Bismark with a stone axe. If you use Max, you have to use an ancient version, or compile the exporter for the version you are using.

View PostTea Monster, on 11 September 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

Doom 3 is a brilliant game. Even though it's the first real 'next-gen' game, it still looks damn good, and with the Sikkmod and texture replacements, it can look as good, if not better, than some modern titles.

MD5 isn't a bad format in and of itself (I have fixed problems with a text editor, which you can't say about a lot of formats ;-) ) . The problem is that the exporter for MD5 for Blender was written with a lot of rules that are hard to follow. It demands that all the movement bones be on one level and the driver bones be on another layer. The problem being that it can't decide which are which, resulting in playing musical levels with the bones in the rig till you decide 'Sod this!' and walk away. Either that or you try and remember how to do stuff in an ancient version of Blender that is akin to trying to build the Bismark with a stone axe. If you use Max, you have to use an ancient version, or compile the exporter for the version you are using.

I'm finaly playing Doom 3 lol... Back in the days it was too much for my Geforce 4200 ti : D I like it so far. I'm in the hell levels (guess not much left). Reminds me a little of DNF errors compared to it's predecessor. Wonder how reviewers didn't complain that much about Doom 3...

This post has been edited by EvilEmperorZoRG {GR}: 12 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

DNF errors?

Plenty of people complained about it, really. But not near as much as DNF. I thought it was great but it wasn't a shootemup like classic Doom. But I never expected it to be. It screamed survival horror FPS from the moment I looked at the box cover. I don't know what everyone was expecting.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

• Polymancer

It was supposed to be a survival horror, and despite some problems, worked pretty well as that. Graphically, the game was light-years ahead of anything else out there. The game was used as a graphics benchmark for years after it was released.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, that was my point. They were advertising it as a survival horror and people expected classic Doom and were upset. These people weren't too smart.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options