Duke4.net Forums: Game Developers -- Where Are They Now? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Developers -- Where Are They Now?  "Updates On Former and Current Game Devs That Are Rather Interesting"

User is offline   deuxsonic 

So it's interesting to me to see where the people that have worked on my favorite games end up over the decades, as some people stay pretty firmly rooted where they were while others are doing things you would never have guessed. I saw it mentioned that Levelord lives in Russia so I decided to do some digging and found an article on it:

http://tesall.ru/tut...isiting-tesall/

Posted Image

Seeing him settled down on the other side of the planet with a family just never even entered my mind I guess. Another example is Todd Replogle who also has a family on the other side of the world in Thailand:

http://www.giantbomb...40-1869/images/

Posted Image

I know American McGee had his development studio Spicy Horse in Shanghai and Adrian Carmack I believe owns a hotel and/or pub and lives in Ireland. Any other interesting examples?

EDIT: You can talk about any game developers, I made the mistake of initially thinking Duke and then immediately wanted to expand beyond just that.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 06 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

George - Playing poker:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Kathy: 05 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

Yeah George stayed firmly planted. I guess Scott Miller did as well. Most of them ended up at Gearbox or Valve or stayed at Apogee it looks like.

http://www.retrogami...e-nukem-3d-team

Found this article as well, but outdated by several years now.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 05 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 05 September 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

A couple updates based on what I know:

I wonder what Robert "Bobby" Prince up to? How come he wasn't involved w/ Duke Nukem 3D World Tour? He's retired right?

How about the folks who made Shadow Warrior 1997?

EDIT: How come Todd Replogle left 3D Realms and move to Thailand for? Did it had something to do w/ DNF's troubled development? I wonder if he still has the source codes of DN 1 and 2 in his possession. I know that they're lost. People need to be more carefull on handling the source codes on a floppy. It's very very valuable.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 06 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

Why did Levelord move to Russia? They moved there because they wanted to and with the money they both have they could live like kings where they are. They both have families where they're at.

"Todd Replogle: Original Concept, Game Programming: Retired, resides in Thailand with his wife and son. Started the initial technical work on Duke Nukem Forever in 1997, but left the games industry and became a real estate mogul in Oregon." He left game development long before DNF's development got out of hand, so like Ken Silverman I think he just lost interest in it.

I actually should have titled this thread "Game Developers" because right away I felt a need to expand beyond just Duke Nukem, so I would just keep going in that respect.

The last music Bobby Prince did was for the game Wrack I believe. I read an article a while back about him that talked about what he's been up to outside of gaming but when I tried to find it again for this thread I turned up nothing, so maybe you'll have more luck. Bobby Prince was a Vietnam veteran and a former lawyer, but he's done more non-gaming things than just those 2 items.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 06 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   randir14 

What happened to the 3DR people who formed Triptych? I know Gearbox allowed them to move into their office building, but are they basically Gearbox employees now or what...

I think a lot of them did become Gearbox developers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options