Duke4.net Forums: Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread  "Don't be afraid"

User is offline   Jolteon 

oporix, on 30 November 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

• Coolest boss is the Overlord.

You're not the only one. Out of all the Bosses in Duke Nukem 3D, Overlord is my favorite boss in the game. :mellow:

Also My favorite Level in Duke it out in DC is Actually Smithsonian Terror. I like this level a lot when I was a kid.

Duke Nukem 3D is better than Doom 1 and 2 in every way.

User is offline   NNC 

For me, the coolest boss is clearly the Battlelord, and by far. All the others seem an afterthought, although the Queen was an interesting concept, it still could have been utilised better. I never really liked the Overlord and the Cycloid Emperor. Maybe their respective levels are a blame for it, but there are no proper buildup to them, no real climax like in The Abyss and The Queen. The worst one of course is "episode5boss" though. Out of the 5 episodes, only E1 and E4 finished on a high note, the others didn't. Allen Blum was one of the best leveldesigners ever, but making boss maps are not his biggest strength.

Btw. I concur with AdrenalinDragon, Duke 3D is a much better game than Doom 1-2. I also preferred it to Quake, despite that being far superior in the technical quality. Generic tech labs and dungeons are not my cup of tea.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 03 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

User is offline   BrokenFree 

Based on what I read on the whole BulletStrom announcement thread thingy, some people aren't too keen on John St. Jon's current Duke voice, well at risk of getting down voted straight away, I like it, and always have/will.

Nancsi, on 03 December 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

For me, the coolest boss is clearly the Battlelord, and by far. All the others seem an afterthought, although the Queen was an interesting concept, it still could have been utilised better. I never really liked the Overlord and the Cycloid Emperor. Maybe their respective levels are a blame for it, but there are no proper buildup to them, no real climax like in The Abyss and The Queen. The worst one of course is "episode5boss" though. Out of the 5 episodes, only E1 and E4 finished on a high note, the others didn't. Allen Blum was one of the best leveldesigners ever, but making boss maps are not his biggest strength.

Btw. I concur with AdrenalinDragon, Duke 3D is a much better game than Doom 1-2. I also preferred it to Quake, despite that being far superior in the technical quality. Generic tech labs and dungeons are not my cup of tea.

The Overlord has (presumably hitscan) crotch cannons, and I'm not sure why they were cut. Could've made him less of a pushover now with mouse + keyboard, so he may have been too tough back then. I like Cycloid Emperor's boss stage the best simply because it's a boss level without any of the shitty long levels beforehand. I also like the Cycloid Pitchlord's stage for not being complicated.

Also, it looks like many didn't like Shrapnel City. I don't know what to think of its level design, but it's probably my favorite episode for having city-based maps instead of Lunar Apocalypse's techbases and post-Red Light District L.A. Meltdown levels.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I like the idea of a playable and fully-voiced Duke in the Bulletstorm remaster.

I'm sad that not many others are more excited about Duke in in the spotlight (even if it is small, especially after the majority doesn't WANT to see him in the spotlight anymore).

User is offline   Player Lin 

MusicallyInspired, on 03 December 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

I like the idea of a playable and fully-voiced Duke in the Bulletstorm remaster.

I'm sad that not many others are more excited about Duke in in the spotlight (even if it is small, especially after the majority doesn't WANT to see him in the spotlight anymore).

I want to excite, but Bulletstorm is not my taste and I don't have time to try it just for Duke.
And it's only Pre-order bouns with lot of money, just made me step back. :D

(If I'm fan of Bulletstorm, maybe I would try, but the price problem still exists.)
EDIT: I changed my mind, the price problem is only show stopper for me, I would try it if the price is much lower. :)

Crossover character(s) is not bad idea, but this one is other story...I just hope Gearbox would doing better after the WT but seems I still give them too many credits.

Not to mention, most of Duke fans would like something bigger...like a totally brand new game or something.

:mellow:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 December 2016 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

My unpopular opinion is that the Duke character post-3D is the worst part of the Duke games. As much as I want a new Duke game, I can only see the future entries emphasizing the corny elements, which shouldn't be a priority, and not the mechanics and creativity which made 3D one of the all-time great shooters. Duke talk was a novelty for shooters in 1996. Now it's expected and tired.

I want 'Duke' games to focus less on the humor and Duke persona, and more on killing grotesque aliens in dense, interactive urban environments with unique, over-the-top weaponry I want wacky weapons, secrets, exploration and horrible aliens and I believe that direction would hold plenty of appeal to modern audiences.

P.S.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 07 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Mr. Tibbs, on 07 December 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Jon St. John is in no way essential to the future of Duke. His recent performances demonstrate he's not up to the task.

I'd reckon most people here would actually agree with this even though they might not admit it.

I would also like to see a reboot of Duke Nukem which would emphasize more on asskicking and less on obnoxious dong jokes. But that's just my shitty opinion.

User is offline   Shawneth 

Loke, on 07 December 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

I'd reckon most people here would actually agree with this even though they might not admit it.

I would also like to see a reboot of Duke Nukem which would emphasize more on asskicking and less on obnoxious dong jokes. But that's just my shitty opinion.

It seems that people take Duke Nukem as good only for the character (who is the easiest to focus on). When non-fans think about Duke 3D, they're only thinking about the quotes & swearing, not anything else that made the game actually good!

Shawneth, on 07 December 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

It seems that people take Duke Nukem as good only for the character (who is the easiest to focus on). When non-fans think about Duke 3D, they're only thinking about the quotes & swearing, not anything else that made the game actually good!

Dukes personality is definitely a huge part of why the franchise has had the staying power it has though, for better and worse

This leads into my unpopular opinion that caleb is a more entertaining character

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 09 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   NNC 

I never cared about Duke Nukem as a character. I enjoyed Lo Wang (as a character) more. But honestly, you can replace Duke with any random action hero or heroine, and the same game is fine for me. That's why I'm eagerly awaiting for Bombshell Prequel too. It will be a spiritual successor of Duke without the character. That game will rock for sure.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 09 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Captain Kupo, on 09 December 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

This leads into my unpopular opinion that caleb is a more entertaining character

Caleb is certainly more entertaining than modern Duke (a.k.a. nu-Duke/Douche Nukem).

User is offline   neznam 

I feel like the only thing that has really made Duke Nukem 3D any more memorable than Blood or Shadow Warrior is the Duke character. Well, actually, I suppose the fact that it came out first also helped. The game is otherwise inferior in every way.

This post has been edited by neznam: 10 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

Personally, I think Duke 3D is the most balanced out of the 3 BUILD shooters, both graphically and gameplay-wise. It had less bullshit enemies, more useful weapons, and relatively eye-pleasing environments. I can't stand Shadow Warrior's graphics for some reason even though I played Duke 3D in DOS first too.

User is offline   NNC 

neznam, on 10 December 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

I feel like the only thing that has really made Duke Nukem 3D any more memorable than Blood or Shadow Warrior is the Duke character. Well, actually, I suppose the fact that it came out first also helped. The game is otherwise inferior in every way.

I disagree with you here. Duke was IMHO more popular because it used more realistic locations, and lacked the central theme which made the game and its modding tools much more versatile. It's much harder to build user levels for SW and Blood, since their sceneries are limited. The same goes to Redneck Rampage. One is horror style, one is asian style, and one is rural style with some weird trash compactor stuff thrown in. Duke has different city elements, hi tech base elements, canyon elements, green alien elements, moon elements etc. Even horror can be built easily with Duke assets. Only the rural theme is not implemented to the game.

Also Duke enemies were better written. SW for example didn't have a pushover like the Liztroop, even the Brown Ninja was as hard as the Enforcer. Blood enemies are just one dimensional IMHO, and the monks are annoying (well, I never liked Blood, so my opinion of it might be truly unpopular here). Also, Duke had better, more complex leveldesign than the other 3 major Build games. Just compare an average Allen Blum level to an average Stephen Cole level. Also, Redneck Rampage failed in the market mostly because its leveldesign was frustrating. I always wanted to like the game, because its theme was great, but there were so many missed oportunities in it.

And yea, Duke was the first game of these. The others came after Quake, and when the FPS went into the true 3D direction.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 10 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

User is offline   neznam 

Nancsi, on 10 December 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

I disagree with you here. Duke was IMHO more popular because it used more realistic locations, and lacked the central theme which made the game and its modding tools much more versatile. It's much harder to build user levels for SW and Blood, since their sceneries are limited. The same goes to Redneck Rampage. One is horror style, one is asian style, and one is rural style with some weird trash compactor stuff thrown in. Duke has different city elements, hi tech base elements, canyon elements, green alien elements, moon elements etc. Even horror can be built easily with Duke assets. Only the rural theme is not implemented to the game.

Also Duke enemies were better written. SW for example didn't have a pushover like the Liztroop, even the Brown Ninja was as hard as the Enforcer. Blood enemies are just one dimensional IMHO, and the monks are annoying (well, I never liked Blood, so my opinion of it might be truly unpopular here). Also, Duke had better, more complex leveldesign than the other 3 major Build games. Just compare an average Allen Blum level to an average Stephen Cole level. Also, Redneck Rampage failed in the market mostly because its leveldesign was frustrating. I always wanted to like the game, because its theme was great, but there were so many missed oportunities in it.

And yea, Duke was the first game of these. The others came after Quake, and when the FPS went into the true 3D direction.

Yes, I consider the setting to be part of the character. However, I disagree that Duke had superior enemies to the other two. I feel that Duke's enemies were more clunky than Blood or Shadow Warrior's. They were had more health, so it felt a tad slow to fight them; for quite a few you had no choice but to sit there and really chip away at them. You just strafe, peak around corners or stand still and concentrate fire. Perhaps the protector or sentry drone are the only exceptions to this. Blood's enemies are more dynamic in that they forced you to take different approaches to dealing with them. You don't face cultists directly; you either peek and shoot quickly or you throw some dynamite around a corner. You have to kneel to avoid the ranged attacks of butchers. You have to backpedal a little to fight zombies and gill beasts. You have to kneel and backpedal to deal with gargoyles, hell hounds and spiders. You have to be diligent in waiting for just the right moment to hit phantasms. You have to shoot or move very quickly to avoid choking hands. Everything dealt more damage and pursued you more vigorously, thus forcing you to be very active. Shadow Warrior is sort of similar in this regard; things could kill you and you could kill them at a breakneck speed, so you had to be on the move all the time. I think neither Blood nor Shadow Warrior had a pushover enemy because it would interrupt the pacing. To me, anyway, this departure from the traditional is more appealing than Duke's 'lethargic bullet-sponges that inch towards you' approach.

I think Blood's level design fits in with the game's motif (creepy = more intimate and claustrophobic spaces) and how you'd deal with the enemies (i.e. spacious room with multiple gargoyles and tight, bending maze with cultists). There were also plenty of complex Blood levels (e2m7 "Bowels of the Earth" comes to mind).

I've never liked Redneck Rampage. It was always too rough around the edges for me. The aesthetic looked like it had no effort put into it; the shoddily-rendered enemies and weapons just didn't go with the more "realistic" looking wall textures and whatnot, the level design was poor and the combat was awkward. I think it really shows that they were trying to finish the game before the technology became too obsolete. I can't help but feel that people try to group it with Duke, Shadow Warrior and Blood as the "big four" just because it had a humorous theme.

This post has been edited by neznam: 10 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Adekis 

I don't think this really counts as "unpopular" but the fandom seems at least a little divided on the matter: personally, I think that re-releasing Bulletstorm with Duke Nukem in it sounds like an awesome idea and I can't wait for it!

Here's another weird idea I don't know whether anyone shares: my ideal Duke game would be something like Cave Story - a side scrolling run-and-gun platformer with a really good plot, just totally story-driven. This hypothetical Duke Nukem 3 would be everything Duke Nukem Forever wasn't- a low expectation, experimental release that nobody expects to be awesome but delivers like nobody's business.

User is offline   Lunick 

There's nothing wrong with re-releasing Bulletstorm with Duke Nukem in it, I don't think people are mad about that. People are mad that the re-release costs so much (compared to the version on Steam currently), there is no discount for previous owners so people who do currently only Bullestorm are stuck with broken GFWL, from the trailer we can already see People Can Fly are doing a half-assed attempt at implementing Duke anyway.
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah on Duke in Bulletstorm; I'm sure a lot people think it is a good idea. Anything to shift the focus away from DNF at this point, and at least Bulletstorm had elements of creativity and uniqueness in combat that Duke should aim for in the future. However that price is way, way above what it should be. If Gearbox wants Duke to get back in public favour again, they're going to have to do it at a reasonable cost. Setting the bar extremely high, such as with a price tag for a 5 year old game that you'd normally associate with brand new games, is only going to hurt Duke's reputation.

Say what you want about Bombshell, but if the price was a lot lower, people wouldn't be as disappointed with the product. Looks like when Duke left 3DR he took 3DR's horrible pricing plans with him Posted Image

Having said all this, if Gearbox wanted to shift focus away from DNF, they could have put just a little bit of effort in and made a new character model, or at least noticeably modified the old one (in a way that isn't ruining his hair at least). Gearbox's price tag for this, and World Tour is high enough without all the signs of distinct laziness one can easily see in both products.

Loke, on 07 December 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

Given how SW2 has been so popular, and that every second line by Lo Wang is a dick joke, I don't see this being likely unfortunately.

User is offline   Kawa 

Micky C, on 23 December 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

Given how SW2 has been so popular, and that every second line by Lo Wang is a dick joke, I don't see this being likely unfortunately.
* wang joke, and I'd like to remark that I love how New Wang references Old Wang's lines in "Oh Sir".

AdrenalinDragon, on 03 December 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D is better than Doom 1 and 2 in every way.

I love both for different reasons.

Anyway, I genuinely think that DNF is a decent game. It did not deserve a fraction of the hate it received. Also, I think that Jon st. John can still be good but needs someone to direct him.

This post has been edited by December Man: 26 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

I think the BUILD engine's editor is one of the (if not the main) reasons why the Duke 3D modding scene (and the rest of BUILD engine games for that matter) didn't took off as much as Doom's or Quake's, sure, it was forward looking in some ways at the time (like having an in-engine 3D view in an era where most editors were just 2D), and having the editor inside the disk itself was a huge advantage at the time, but nowadays it feels clunky and archaic, and the lack of motivation for making a more modern editor a la Doom Builder or Trenchbroom just baffles me.

Spoiler

User is offline   Matthew 

The only other good game in the franchise is Duke Nukem Zero Hour, and that still pales in comparison to Duke 3D.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I doubt that's totally unpopular. I still think the original 2 platformers are great, though.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Unpopular opinion: DNF tarnished Duke's reputation beyond repair. Duke will never be taken seriously again. Stop wishing for a new Duke game. Let him die. RIP Duke.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Gaydar, on 02 July 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

Unpopular opinion: DNF tarnished Duke's reputation beyond repair. Duke will never be taken seriously again. Stop wishing for a new Duke game. Let him die. RIP Duke.

I said give it 10 years, but I doubt anyone will give a shit by that point. Just make a new character with similar attributes, it's not like it's impossible.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 02 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

thricecursed, on 02 July 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

I said give it 10 years, but I doubt anyone will give a shit by that point. Just make a new character with similar attributes, it's not like it's impossible.

It's been 8 years since the last game...

EDIT: I know World Tour came out in 2016, but ,since most of the content in it is old, i don't count it as a "new" game, just a re-release with some extra content.
And i refuse to count that Bulletstorm reskin. :D

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Not in Gearbox hands definitely. They're the biggest reason why he wouldn't be taken seriously or just have no future, at least not unless they hire competent dev and decide to be very loud about it, though the good thing about lack of Duke games is no more shitty Duke games. If the license was given to Voidpoint I bet they would make sure for Duke to come back to his old glory again pretty easily. In fact I'm betting people will eventually make Duke replacement mod for Ion Maiden itself when the game come out of early access.

User is offline   NNC 

This is not an unpopular opinion at all. Unpopular would be the opposite, rating DNF high, liking Randy as a person etc.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options