Duke4.net Forums: Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread  "Don't be afraid"

View PostKathy, on 05 September 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

2. Fuck Jon St.John for acting like he knows how to Duke. He contributed jack shit to Duke3d and was being touted as character creator around DNF's release. Now he demonstrates lack of character understanding for original Duke Nukem 3d; or simply unwillingness to do so, which is even worse.

:D :D

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I think the reason JSJ has always been open to basically doing anything Duke-related even if he doesn't seem to really put effort into it is because if he wasn't, they would just find someone else who was "close enough".

User is offline   spessu_sb 

It's weird seeing in a Duke forum out of all places JSJ being talked in a negative light. But it's not like it's done just for the kicks because he did voice something that's supposed to be an anniversary edition, very un-faithfully.

User is offline   Kathy 

Hence it's an unpopular opinion.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Hehe.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View Postdeuxsonic, on 06 September 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

I still want ITSGREEN.MID. :|

O/T, from what Hendricks said, ITSGREEN was never finished.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Unfinished is fine too.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

EDuke32 'development' should be halted for a year or so until all known bugs (not including primordial Polymer issues) and regressions are fixed.

User is offline   neznam 

Perhaps not so much an unpopular Duke opinion as much as a 3D Realms opinion, but whatever.

Duke Nukem 3D was the only decent thing 3D Realms ever developed in house.

Even if you take into consideration the period in which they were Apogee, their later projects weren't very good either.

ROTT was just a big inside joke between its developers. It feels like they just completely gave up when they realised they wouldn't be able to compete with Doom. "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we made the god hand sound be like 'HMMMMM HRRRRR'? How about holiday-themed date-specific loading screens? lol so random xD"

Trash.

Maybe Shadow Warrior might've actually sold more than 2 copies if they didn't hold it back so long just to Duke-ify it.

"omg guys it's ching chong duke, so funny amirite xD"
"hehehe funny yellow man has an accent, our game is so good xD Please don't buy Quake 2"

No wonder 3D Realms is speaking Danish nowadays and doesn't own the rights to any of their even mildly recognisable IP's. Good riddance.

edit: Holy shit, I think they don't even own the rights to ROTT anymore! Ha!

This post has been edited by neznam: 15 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

User is offline   neznam 

Also, I like Duke Nukem 64 better than Duke Nukem 3D for the PC. I don't care which version has pixelated tits, Duke Nukem 64 just looked and played better for me.

This post has been edited by neznam: 29 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I really like the old 2D side scrollers, especially Duke Nukem II. The final boss battle was so tough that when I finally managed to beat it and got to see the end text, I entered "King Duke" into the highscore list.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 05 October 2016 - 02:34 AM, said:

I really like the old 2D side scrollers, especially Duke Nukem II. The final boss battle was so tough that when I finally managed to beat it and got to see the end text, I entered "King Duke" into the highscore list.

Omg really? That happened to me too! The only difference was I entered "K1n9_Duk3" Posted Image

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostLeoD, on 08 September 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

EDuke32 'development' should be halted for a year or so until all known bugs (not including primordial Polymer issues) and regressions are fixed.
That's totally true. I really appreciate Eduke32, and I'm very thankful to all its developers, but it would be great if there were a general fix of known bugs.

View PostPerro Seco, on 05 October 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

That's totally true. I really appreciate Eduke32, and I'm very thankful to all its developers, but it would be great if there were a general fix of known bugs.

It would be great if I could play TROR maps at more than 5fps on a quad 290x system.

• Honored Donor

View PostRobert Stever, on 05 October 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

It would be great if I could play TROR maps at more than 5fps on a quad 290x system.

What renderer are you using?

View PostMicky C, on 05 October 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

What renderer are you using?

Polymer. It sucks on ATI based cards I hear, and have seen when playing.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Here's my unpopular opinion(s)/thoughts: Duke3D Singleplayer doesn't interest me anymore, it is done to death. Not even user maps interest me anymore. I only give a shit for the multiplayer... Dukematch and CO-OP are the only reasons I even play Duke anymore, it is the only thing worth playing at this point. Multiplayer adds a dynamic that just can't be matched in SP.

I think multiplayer should be EDuke32's primary focus at the moment, as it (if completed), aside from the moddability is the only reason to use it over commercial ports, x/h/nDuke or DOS.

I also think there's no hope for the future of the franchise outside of the evolution of Duke3D, considering Gearbox owns the IP, and JSJ has become a bit of a puss.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Here's mine(brace yourselves):

Duke as a character was never truly relevant...at least not during the era of his peak.

And that's probably why everybody loved him so much. An 80s package of cliches that wouldn't have even been taken seriously then emerging into a 1996 world and being so out of place...well, no one could resist taking checking it out.

So, paradoxically, 3D ended up being groundbreaking for its premise having been so outdated to begin with(and of course for the added interactivity, but that's besides the point). With games from the mid to late 1990s trying to evolve in terms of genre and style, a retro theme that eschewed the concept of reinventing the wheel ended up coming out on top, in terms of innovation.

Disclaimer: I'm not referring the gameplay or technical features that were trendsetting "firsts". Only the tone, style and overall "feel" as a satirical throwback to years prior. And that of course includes the humor, and content of the one-liners. ;)

• Honored Donor

View PostStriker, on 26 October 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Here's my unpopular opinion(s)/thoughts: Duke3D Singleplayer doesn't interest me anymore, it is done to death. Not even user maps interest me anymore. I only give a shit for the multiplayer... Dukematch and CO-OP are the only reasons I even play Duke anymore, it is the only thing worth playing at this point. Multiplayer adds a dynamic that just can't be matched in SP.

I think multiplayer should be EDuke32's primary focus at the moment, as it (if completed), aside from the moddability is the only reason to use it over commercial ports, x/h/nDuke or DOS.

I agree, I don't feel motivated to play 99% of user maps. As for multiplayer, I feel it's pretty easy to dismiss that aspect of the game because "not a lot of people are playing" all things considered. However, the reason for the relatively small number is because the only ways to play it are fairly rubbish. If you build a high quality, user friendly system, a lot of people would flood back. You'd even get a whole host of mods to enhance the dukematch or coop experience, or even create entirely original multiplayer games in other genres.

How do you feel about mods though? Games like Attrition and the AMC TC add some much needed depth to the gameplay.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting theory, DR. Makes sense.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 October 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

Interesting theory, DR. Makes sense.

I guess that's a first for me...

;)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMicky C, on 27 October 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

I agree, I don't feel motivated to play 99% of user maps. As for multiplayer, I feel it's pretty easy to dismiss that aspect of the game because "not a lot of people are playing" all things considered. However, the reason for the relatively small number is because the only ways to play it are fairly rubbish. If you build a high quality, user friendly system, a lot of people would flood back. You'd even get a whole host of mods to enhance the dukematch or coop experience, or even create entirely original multiplayer games in other genres.

How do you feel about mods though? Games like Attrition and the AMC TC add some much needed depth to the gameplay.

I do like some of the gameplay mods. I haven't played AMC, but I've played DukePlus, War of Attrition, Grins of Divinity, God of War, and StarShip Troopers TC (part of my youth here).

About multiplayer... When you get a good number of friends, a good map set, and a good connection... Duke3D is still by far one of the most fun games I've ever played with others, and possibly one of the funniest because of it's unpredictability. We need EDuke32 netplay more than ever, because of the lackluster performance of the commercial ports. Be it lack of modding, or, like in World Tour's case, horrendous instability... made worse by the fact you cannot get Megaton anymore, the only real stable semi-modern port.

If there was a playable branch... man, I'd build and host that constantly. I also have a bunch of ideas to extend the multiplayer feature-wise.

This post has been edited by Striker: 27 October 2016 - 11:39 PM

User is offline   oldgamerz 

I like Duke Nukem Zero Hour for the Nintendo 64 but it has it's hard points, but for some reason I just can't get into Duke Nukem "Time To Kill" for the PlayStation 1. I have every duke game ever made except "Land Of The Babes" Total Meltdown and Forever though. the1st Duke Nukem game is really addicting and the story is well made. the 2nd duke nukem would be better if I knew how to turn my sticky keys off so that flip my monitor won't flip upside down by default.I use the keyboard by the way.

View PostStriker, on 27 October 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

I do like some of the gameplay mods. I haven't played AMC, but I've played DukePlus, War of Attrition, Grins of Divinity, God of War, and StarShip Troopers TC (part of my youth here).

About multiplayer... When you get a good number of friends, a good map set, and a good connection... Duke3D is still by far one of the most fun games I've ever played with others, and possibly one of the funniest because of it's unpredictability. We need EDuke32 netplay more than ever, because of the lackluster performance of the commercial ports. Be it lack of modding, or, like in World Tour's case, horrendous instability... made worse by the fact you cannot get Megaton anymore, the only real stable semi-modern port.

If there was a playable branch... man, I'd build and host that constantly. I also have a bunch of ideas to extend the multiplayer feature-wise.

I agree. The most fun I had with vanilla Duke3D was with the Multiplayer in Megaton Edition.
Every time you play you discover some new crazy glitch. Like if you stack players in an elevator so that the one at the top touches the ceiling, then the elevator goes batshit crazy moving up and down, and eventually unhinges from its intended startpoint and destination, forever lowering or raising.
This works especially well in Fusion Station.

It would also be great if mods like the AMC TC could be played in multiplayer. The class based structure of that mod would lend itself well for some coop fun.

User is offline   NNC 

I like Sentry Drones, they are cool enemies and somewhat underused. Hence I really like Warp Factor.

I don't think Raw Meat is a good level. Good gameplay yes, but terrible design overall. Was disappointed at the first gameplay.

I don't like Roch maps. Terrible mishmash, and clueless gameplay without progression. I also don't like maps with too many mishmashes, and hate unnecessary palette changes.

I never cared about DukePlus, and other enhancing stuff. They killed many core gameplay elements, and fixed things weren't broken (like unnecessary sound changes). I especially hate when Duke grabs items that float in the air, that's awkward.

I prefer auto aim, as the game was meant to be played with it.

I think the Incinerator is a great weapon, and I hope it gets some further recognition. Flamethrowers are long overdue, as it was part of the original game. Hope, Spacesuits will sneak in later, even with modifying E2L7 and E2L8.

(well, mostly negative stuff, but that's because this is a fan forum... I still love this game, and many user related stuff.)

User is offline   Sanek 

I love Nuclear Winter. When I was a kid I used to replay it every winter, since the holiday atmosphere add so much fun to the game. If all the the hate and dislike of the mod was caused by the fact that the first 2 levels based on original ones, then you must know that I like it anyway. :mellow:

I also think that Nuclear Winter have good level design.

I think that Lunar Apocalypse is the best episode of the original game. It seems more generic than another episodes, but I think that EP2 proved to us (more than any other episode) how good a game can be just because of the level design. Also it saved some echoes of Duke alphas/betas, which is always a plus to me.

I hate E3L7. It looks so amateur by comprasion to another levels that I wished it would be switched places with a secret level instead of being a regular map.

I also don't like XXX-Stacy, which is not nearly as epic as the other Birth levels.

I wished there were more walking actors in the game, besides the annoying Mickey's..

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 30 November 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I hate E3L7. It looks so amateur by comprasion to another levels that I wished it would be switched places with a secret level instead of being a regular map.

Honestly, most of the levels in E3 are simply not on par with the quality other 4 official episodes (including AWO). It's definately not a popular opinion, as E3 is the second biggest favourite of most people, mostly because of it's suited better for DukeMatch. But really, leveldesign in Bank Roll, Movie Set, Rabid Transit, Fahrenheit and Tier Drops is really amateurish and lazy. These levels look to me something that were made in 2 days. XXX Stacy from E4 follows this style, and should have been an E3 level.

User is offline   Shawneth 

• Hitscan bosses are cheap as fuck (The first battlelord is much harder than EP2 & EP3 bosses, and the Queen feels so awkward to fight).
  • Protector Drones take too many hits to kill, and doesn't feel right.
  • Coolest boss is the Overlord.
  • Tripmine traps aren't creative, they're annoying (if I die to one, I'll always cheat).
  • I liked "The Birth" episode!
  • There are way too many multiplayer ports, when all we need is eduke32 netcode (I'd rather just use the oldmp branch for everything).

I'm sure there's more to rant about, perhaps another post will be on its way in a more creative fashion.

This post has been edited by oporix: 30 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   ---- 

I don't like the Life's a Beach-addon as it (along with the dreadful Nuclear Winter, of course) contributed heavily to the goofy reception of Duke's character.

BTW: Is there a mod that let's me play this with normal enemies and normal weapons, instead of waterpistols against enemies wearing an inflatable duck swim ring?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

I like Parkar's old Duke model for the HRP a lot more than the current version. Which is still a good model, don't get me wrong, but Parkar's really represents the cartoonier Duke of Duke 3D and feels a lot more faithful to source material of Chuck Jones original model and the whole vibe of the game.

I don't really find Duke genuinely 'cool'. I like The Birth and I like the tone of it and I think Duke works best as a kind of tongue in cheek pastiche of a macho 80s action hero in a sort of semi-humourous world (not the Duke Nukem Forever world though, fuuuuuck that mess)

I also concur with saying episode 3 of 3D is very rough around the edges compared to the other two. Fahrenheit and Hotel Hell just seem like kinda low tier user-maps. I think I enjoy episode 2 a lot more, even though I prefer the aesthetic of the city environment.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options