Duke4.net Forums: Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpopular Duke Opinions Thread  "Don't be afraid"

Share your unpopular opinions about the Duke Nukem series here, such as why you think DNF is a good game or why you think Duke 3D is overrated and whatnot.

Personally, I don't think the music in Duke 3D is very memorable. I can only remember the main menu theme, Hollywood Holocaust, and Stadium (and the strip club music, if that counts). Hell, I didn't even know that each level had a unique track until I looked it up. Also, Episode 2 levels felt very same-y and I can't tell them apart.

Hmmm, I don't think Manhattan Project is a good game. Especially that level where it becomes the game Frogger with you dodging cars etc. If not for the Duke license being used, there'd be nothing about that game I'd find interesting.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Being able to save women should have been in all of the games instead of just the ones 3D Realms didn't develop.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 05 September 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

Being able to save women should have been in all of the games instead of just the ones 3D Realms didn't develop.

I thought about that recently, since the Duke World Tour official page says "Join the world’s greatest action hero in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour as he saves Earth once again, kicking alien ass and saving babes across the globe along the way."

http://dukenukem.com/#about

Though Duke is saving babes in the long run in the story etc.

Saving them by getting rid of the aliens as in preventing all of the women from being taken, but with the game if they're already taken then you can ignore them or kill them. It feels kind of weird because Duke Nukem 64 censored some things but it also added things like this that I thought were good ideas.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but my main grudge with the game was its difficulty.
Duke Nukem 3D is so pathetically easy it kinda ruins replaying the game for me. Don't get me wrong though, almost every other aspect of the game is really well-designed and the game is still fun, but because of the difficulty I rarely come back to the original campaign.
I guess it's because DN3D wasn't designed for the modern control scheme (WASD/mouselook), because I remember playing the game as a kid with keyboard only controls and I thought it was pretty tough.
User made content is where's it at for me right now.
Also as I recall this was the reason why I got into mapping in the first place.

User is offline   FistMarine 

The only unpopular opinion I have is that I don't think DNF is THAT bad as everyone says. For me it's an average game that I would rate between 5 and 6, maybe even a 6.5 at most. Of course it's not the DNF we all hoped for but I really think some people are too harsh on criticizing the game. It's not as good as some people say it is but it's not that bad either.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 05 September 2016 - 06:04 AM

I agree. I feel that with the hype that had built up over the lengthy development meant that no matter what came out, people were going to be insanely harsh.

User is offline   t800 

They shouldnt have made Octobrains and Battlelords so allergic to Devastator/Shrinker respectively. It just makes encounters with them very trivial.

I hate steroids in DukeMatch from my whole heart. >:-(

I don't think Duke should make pop culture references in his Duketalk anymore. :D

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I guess this might count as an un-popular opinion.

I prefer to play Duke3D with Mark Knight's TM ost instead of the classic PC ost by Lee Jackson. Though, there are couple of nice tracks on the PC version aswell, like Gotham forexample..

View Postt800, on 05 September 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

They shouldnt have made Octobrains and Battlelords so allergic to Devastator/Shrinker respectively. It just makes encounters with them very trivial.

I hate steroids in DukeMatch from my whole heart. >:-(

Can add the fat commander to that... I generally try to kill them exclusively with the shrinker because it only takes 1 shot and you avoid a lot of rockets to the face.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

-I don't like The Birth. The tone is completely different to me and I just don't like it.
-I liked DNF for what it was. It was a letdown as a Duke game, and some mechanics seemed unbalanced and frustrating, but I enjoy linear games and I was looking forward to an HL-like Duke and that's what I got.
-I don't mind the protozoid slimer enemies. Maybe that's just from playing for years and years though and getting used to it. They don't overwhelm me like they used to.
-I don't like Manhattan Project either
-I like Polymer and it runs very nicely for me
-I like the PC Duke3D's voiceovers, even though they sound drab and boring to JSJ. (this might not be an unpopular opinion)
-I hate Total Meltdown's soundtrack with a passion
-I almost think Duke64 is a better game visually and mechanically than the original

View PostPikaCommando, on 05 September 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

Hell, I didn't even know that each level had a unique track until I looked it up.

If you've played all the levels in the game how can you not have noticed this? You've got your upbeat tracks like Streets and Alienz, then you've got your completely ambient tracks like Dethtoll, AlfredH, and Foghorn. There's no way you wouldn't notice unless you either turned the music completely off or you are the most unobservant human being on this earth. :D

They may not be memorable, but they do a great job of setting the tone for each level I think. That's what you're really after anyway. Doom's music may have more memorable themes, but I think they all sound the same and boring. Not a fan of Doom's music.

Also, Episode 2 levels felt very same-y and I can't tell them apart.

I don't think it's an uncommon opinion that Episode 2 is the weakest in the game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

If you've played all the levels in the game how can you not have noticed this? You've got your upbeat tracks like Streets and Alienz, then you've got your completely ambient tracks like Dethtoll, AlfredH, and Foghorn. There's no way you wouldn't notice unless you either turned the music completely off or you are the most unobservant human being on this earth. :D

They may not be memorable, but they do a great job of setting the tone for each level I think. That's what you're really after anyway. Doom's music may have more memorable themes, but I think they all sound the same and boring. Not a fan of Doom's music.

I thought it was like Doom, where there is like a few upbeat and a few ambient and they get reused throughout the game, with E1L1 and E3L9 being exceptions because they were the first and (originally) last levels.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah. Still, some would argue that music is best experienced and does its job when you don't notice it but feel the effects of it. I'd say accomplished that even in your case. It's not upfront all the time and that's what I like about it.

Though it's worth noting that the chord progression to Gotham and parts of Stalker is almost identical. Gotham is just more chill and Stalker is more intense.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Here goes... Prepare your minuses.

1. I hate the fact that build licence isn't GPL-compatible. Which means you have to pay royalties whenever you want to use is commercially. Which means Duke3d porting is frequently facing the issue of using original engine version and reinventing the wheel. Nothing personal or anything against eDuke32 team of course.

2. Fuck Jon St.John for acting like he knows how to Duke. He contributed jack shit to Duke3d and was being touted as character creator around DNF's release. Now he demonstrates lack of character understanding for original Duke Nukem 3d; or simply unwillingness to do so, which is even worse.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Ah. Still, some would argue that music is best experienced and does its job when you don't notice it but feel the effects of it. I'd say accomplished that even in your case. It's not upfront all the time and that's what I like about it.

Though it's worth noting that the chord progression to Gotham and parts of Stalker is almost identical. Gotham is just more chill and Stalker is more intense.

I hated this about DOOM 3. The game is basically devoid of normal music and the environments are designed to be kind of ambient music with the machines and stuff. I'm glad they came to their senses with the latest DOOM.

• The Sarien Encounter

Doom 3 has no soundtrack whatsoever. How is that the same?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

Doom 3 has no soundtrack whatsoever. How is that the same?

Alright I'll rephrase it: I like it when games have normal, full music. The environments in DOOM 3 were supposed to sound kind of musical, which they do, and that was what id considered the music for the game. I thought it made the game feel like they left something out.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMister Sinister, on 05 September 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D is so pathetically easy it kinda ruins replaying the game for me.

Shadow Warrior fixed this nicely though imo.

Playing at the moment it on the hard difficulty and having finished it once already some months ago on normal, was kinda a necessity. SW on NPNG is so unforgiving when compared to Duke on DIG that if you don't know what you're up against, you don't really have a chance of smooth and fluid gameplay where you don't constant just die and have to reload save :D

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postdeuxsonic, on 05 September 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Alright I'll rephrase it: I like it when games have normal, full music. The environments in DOOM 3 were supposed to sound kind of musical, which they do, and that was what id considered the music for the game. I thought it made the game feel like they left something out.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand why you're bringing up Doom 3. What are you comparing it to? Are you saying you do or don't like the way the music was done in Duke3D?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think Duke's community has suffered more than ever because of so many NDAs tied to his name, but nothing will ever be done to fix that.

I don't like the more recent Duke voice compared to the one found in DN3D and Zero Hour. It was okay in TTK and MP, but I prefer the sound from 3D and ZH. It sounded awful in Land of the Babes for the most part, and DNF it didn't fit the character model. I thought that Duke was supposed to be much older from who he was in 3D, and the voice would've made sense, but they made him look really young and it just didn't feel right to me. JSJ is really good, but I feel they're giving him too much freedom with Duke's voice that it has sort've became something much different from what it started out as.

User is offline   t800 

View Postspessu_sb, on 05 September 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Shadow Warrior fixed this nicely though imo.

Duke3D also lacks any monster of such high threat level as shadow ninja. :D

---------------------------------------------------------

I dont know what people prefer about PSX monsters over originals. They seem to me as 3D models lazyly turned directly into sprites. Especially Octobrain is worst offender for me, he looks like he was made of glossy plastic. My main gripe is propably that they dont fit in their world. If I look at Duke3D textures and decorations, they all have that comic book like appearance to me, so that just makes PSX monsters stick out like sort thumb.
That is why I hope that if we ever get chance to get our hands on Total Meltdown recreation, it will be possible to toggle monsters to their original counterparts.

This is partly problem for me in SW too, but IMO Redneck Rampage suffers from that most.

Yes, such a high threat that I remember it could crash the game. Guys will fuck your shit up.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

- Time to Kill & Manhattan Project have the best Duke voice.
- I don't like Zero Hour's Duke voice (Not JSJs actual performance, I just hate the low quality sound).
- I like Total Meltdown's soundtrack better than the original.
- Any future Duke game with no Pig Cops and no Strippers is not a Duke game.
- The Golden Desert Eagle is a far better signature weapon for Duke than the 1911.
- I never liked the Shotgun sound and sprite in Duke3D.
- The DNF shotgun looks, sounds and feels better than Duke3Ds shotgun.
- The HRP Shotgun looks ugly as fuck, compared to the other weapon models which look fantastic.
- The DNF Duke voice is fine.
- DNF is a decent game.

View PostPikaCommando, on 05 September 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

Share your unpopular opinions about the Duke Nukem series here, such as why you think DNF is a good game or why you think Duke 3D is overrated and whatnot.

Personally, I don't think the music in Duke 3D is very memorable. I can only remember the main menu theme, Hollywood Holocaust, and Stadium (and the strip club music, if that counts). Hell, I didn't even know that each level had a unique track until I looked it up. Also, Episode 2 levels felt very same-y and I can't tell them apart.

Aliens say your prayers is my favorite... I actually loved all the music in DN3D.

Now for me....

1) Duke Nukem Manhattan Project is my favorite Duke Nukem. Perfect Duke voice and humor, fun gameplay and replay value.
2) I liked Land of Babes!
3) Forever was a great game (7/10 for me).
4) DNF 1998 trailer has the best Grabbag version...

Other than that I can't remember any other unpopular opinion I have about Duke Nukem : P

This post has been edited by EvilEmperorZoRG {GR}: 06 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostxMobilemux, on 06 September 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

- Any future Duke game with no Pig Cops and no Strippers is not a Duke game.

For me, I'm fine with future Duke games not having any Pig Cops or Strippers. Yes, Pig Cops are a big part in DN3D but Strippers only appear in one level.

I'm all for not trying to relive the glory of DN3D again and move on to something new and original.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPikaCommando, on 06 September 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

For me, I'm fine with future Duke games not having any Pig Cops or Strippers. Yes, Pig Cops are a big part in DN3D but Strippers only appear in one level.

I'm all for not trying to relive the glory of DN3D again and move on to something new and original.

Duke 3D had dancing babes in lots of levels though.

I agree it'd be nice for the franchise to move away from pigcops. They're a dull cliche by this point.

User is offline   t800 

View PostxMobilemux, on 06 September 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

- The Golden Desert Eagle is a far better signature weapon for Duke than the 1911.

^
This.
Also they should have used M-16 in DNF instead of keeping Ripper. I was never big fan of its design.

When you first saw LameDuke RPG, werent you disappointed it got altered? I find former one more convicing no-nonse heavy duty tool of destruction. :-)
I like its lowered pre-raised sprite. It does make quickly using RPG cumbersome, so instead they could make it part of raising animation, of course sped up a bit. It could give it feeling of weight. They should even keep flame trail behind launched rockets, but just maybe replace it with less obstructing sprites.

I do like the big RPG. I also like the look and idea of the plasma gun. I agree with the shotgun art and sound, I would have been fine with having the plasma gun being dual-mode and effectively removing the need for a shotgun.

I wish there was a high-quality version of Gigadeth's rendition of Grabbag that encorporates both the main part and the guitar solo, like a finished song.

With the HRP, I liked the original shotgun model and the models for the strippers. I feel they went backwards more and more with both of those.

I actually like every Duke Nukem game soundtrack, the original MIDI one for Duke3d as well as Mark Knight's Total Meltdown one (there are a couple songs that can be downloaded from his website that weren't used in the soundtrack) and Mike Norvak's remixes in particular (I just wish there were more songs.) Brandon's Grabbag Legacy is also really good.

I also like basically every Duke Nukem game except for the ones on mobile platforms, which I haven't played.

I still want ITSGREEN.MID. :|

I guess I always thought the expander's functioning was strange in Atomic Edition. Having seen how it was in the betas I would have preferred that it function exactly like the shrinker except explode enemies instead of shrink them which is how it worked in the beta, because with 50 shrinker ammo you can kill a lot of enemies because it only takes 1 hit regardless of how tough the enemy with the exception of a few who are immune, but with 99 expander ammo you actually waste most of it because it takes multiple hits on any enemy with more than 1 health to get the effect.

Slimers I always thought were just a joke enemy because if I hear them I can just walk right over them while quick kicking to clear them out. It's not realistic, but neither is killing it with your weapon if it's on your face (you would have to do something akin to how choking hands work in Blood where the use key removes them from you so you can kill them.)

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 06 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options