Duke4.net Forums: Who can develop new Duke game? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who can develop new Duke game?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

After reading topic title on Steam "Would Duke Nukem be in better hands with Croteam?" I have decided to create this topic.

As for me, the answer is NO. This answer is for every company/team who made popular oldschool fps franchise back then. Just imagine if new Doom was made by Croteam. Well, Sam on Mars is not bad idea, but it is another game. For example The Talos Principle has a strong SS feel and I do not think it is good for the standalone game.

Who can make new Duke? Everybody else! There are a lot of great professionals who can make a good game. Give them enough money, good management and right design. But for God's sake, do not touch other companies with their specific style.

This post has been edited by Vazovski: 03 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

AFAIK there aren't any good, ambitious FPS developers around at this time. Maybe Gearbox is as good as any.
Edit: Drunk sorry. Of course there are some good... But none that I can see doing Duke justice. Potentially Valve. But if they can't get HL3 out the door, they'll be no better with Duke.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 03 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Voidpoint

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 September 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

Voidpoint

If they had the money and manpower, sure. I'd Kickstarter that in a heartbeat, if required.

For this kind of topic we name developers we know, but a lot of great developers we don't know. Or we know about them after their hit game comes out. I wonder if they could just assemble a team of developers who happen to be a good fit for this job. Random example, say you like the games God of War and God of War 2. I had not heard of David Jaffe before God of War, though he make the Twisted Metal games which I like, but it wouldn't suggest he'd be good at heading a greek gods action adventure. Turns out he was. Ditto for GoW2 and Cory Balrog, never heard of him, and he has even less credits I know of, and he directed an even better game.

That said, I'd think it's cool if Triptych and Allen Blum in particular are involved in some capacity. Though I'd be happy to see what somebody else does with it too. Or take the new Doom game which a lot of us really dig, I had not heard of Marty the guy we see in the interviews, and I think most of us don't even know who most of the devs were. Unless we really paid attention in the credits. Luckily id had a great team for that project.

But to give a shorter answer if I have to pick a developer, I'll say Behaviour Interactive Inc. (previously known as Artificial Mind & Movement Inc.). They made the game Wet (2009) which I found really good, other than that mostly licensed stuff etc, but I think if given a chance they could make a good Duke FPS. (edit: though looking, I guess they have a warhammer third person shooter coming out this month that looks maybe not that great, who knows. Just a random team. Maybe if they had more time to work on something, who knows.)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 03 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 03 September 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

That said, I'd think it's cool if Triptych and Allen Blum in particular are involved in some capacity.

Triptych folded at the end of 2013, though most of the staff left in March 2013 after their Kickstarter campaign failed to gain traction. David Riegel has been working for years at Hangar 13 on Mafia 3, which, I might add, is looking excellent!

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 03 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 03 September 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Triptych folded at the end of 2013, though most of the staff left after their Kickstarter campaign failed to gain traction. David Riegel has been working for years at Hangar 13 on Mafia 3, which, I might add, is looking excellent!

Ah, I didn't keep track there. Does Allen Blum still work at Gearbox? I know they did a Borderlands DLC. He's working on Duke World Tour at least. Oddly enough that random developer I mentioned made a game kind of similar to the Triptych kickstarter game Fuzzy Slaughter, called Naughty Bear.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What about Human Head Studios?

User is offline   McMaster 

Who can develop a new Duke game?

Well there's some developers one could trust with it who could do something interesting with the Character/Franchise. But it would just be "a" Duke game.

A TrueDukeGame ™ though would need a strong team of loving professionals, very tech-savvy, cutting-edgy, with real humor, with real coolness, who'd work their asses off to accomplish greatness and D3Ds interactivity x 1000.
That kind of happened, and then kind of tragically failed. And will probably never ever happen again.

Also, in my opinion, it would definitely need George Broussard. He didn't make Duke, but he made him what he is. Or rather was, before DNF.
I know, AR and others, but I don't care. He learnt his lesson. Long before May 2009.
And without him, Duke is Douche.
Forever.

Duke is the king, baby.

User is offline   randir14 

People Can Fly

User is offline   Mark 

Going to the original post:

Are you talking about a new high res fancy lighting Duke game or an 8 bit software duke game. That might have an effect on people's preferences for a programming team.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMcMaster, on 03 September 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Who can develop a new Duke game?

Well there's some developers one could trust with it who could do something interesting with the Character/Franchise. But it would just be "a" Duke game.

A TrueDukeGame ™ though would need a strong team of loving professionals, very tech-savvy, cutting-edgy, with real humor, with real coolness, who'd work their asses off to accomplish greatness and D3Ds interactivity x 1000.
That kind of happened, and then kind of tragically failed. And will probably never ever happen again.

Also, in my opinion, it would definitely need George Broussard. He didn't make Duke, but he made him what he is. Or rather was, before DNF.
I know, AR and others, but I don't care. He learnt his lesson. Long before May 2009.
And without him, Duke is Douche.
Forever.

I thought about George. It is really hard to choose right side in this question, but I'd say it is possible to make a good game without him. I am not against George and I appreciate what he did. But there are a lot of examples where people continue making something good without "creator". He can help with design and advice, nothing more. No need to take the old guard back to make a good game, you just can not because people changed. The new generation has grew up! That is why I am also worrying about Duke Nukem 3D World Tour. I am so afraid to be disappointed in it.

View PostMark., on 03 September 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Going to the original post:

Are you talking about a new high res fancy lighting Duke game or an 8 bit software duke game. That might have an effect on people's preferences for a programming team.

About Duke Nukem 5.

This post has been edited by Vazovski: 03 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postrandir14, on 03 September 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

People Can Fly

No.
Nor Crotean and definitely neither Flying Wild Hog.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Posted Image

I miss this guy. I'm sorry for anything negative I might have said about him in my life. I want off of Gearbox's ride.

Anything else is better than what we have right now.

This post has been edited by Shaq Fu: 03 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

I used the Max Payne mousepad that came in that box for about a decade! It really is wild how 3DR would pack and ship Duke 3D and stuff like that, very independent those guys. Pretty rock'n'roll.

Though I actually do have hope for Duke at Gearbox, despite Randy being a bit of a kooky character. And the various shenanigans etc.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

It's staring right at you: Remedy. Who better a creative director than Sam Lake?

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 03 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 03 September 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

It's staring right at you: Remedy. Who better a creative director than Sam Lake?

That would definitely be interesting, I'd be on board to let them give it a go. I wonder if Sam Lake would be okay with making a story that's relatively minimalist and light in comparison to his usual stuff. He could definitely come up with clever stuff for Duke to say though, and can do humor well.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 03 September 2016 - 11:33 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Romero, levelord and Allen Blum

User is offline   stumppy84 

I thought that Devolver was interested in deving a new Duke game.. They said they are then sent a link with SW as their resume. Or was it Flying Wild Hog?

View Poststumppy84, on 04 September 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

I thought that Devolver was interested in deving a new Duke game.. They said they are then sent a link with SW as their resume. Or was it Flying Wild Hog?

Devolver doesn't make stuff, they publish. So it definitely was someone else then, like FWH forexample and to be on this topic.. I don't want FHW anywhere near Duke ever, because they just don't got it.

User is offline   Loke 

Duke4.net

Yeah I would have this forum develop it around EDuke32.

For sure that would be fun to see, but might as well have a studio make a big budget version while that happens too. The more Duke games the merrier I say.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 03 September 2016 - 11:32 PM, said:

That would definitely be interesting, I'd be on board to let them give it a go. I wonder if Sam Lake would be okay with making a story that's relatively minimalist and light in comparison to his usual stuff. He could definitely come up with clever stuff for Duke to say though, and can do humor well.

I too could actually see this working because Max Payne 1 was a serious game with only subtle bits of humour here and there. So it's kinda like Duke3D then, except with the added bits of story telling?

But yeah.. if you could maybe have the story telling to minimum, or have them be making basically DNF 2.0 then and go fully wild with the story aspect.

The part that really messed with me was during his Valkyr hallucinations in the loop when the game breaks the 4th wall and Max realizes he's in a computer game and it points out the HUD and the weapons and all that. I literally could not wrap my brain around them taking the serious storytelling and then doing something that brazen. Since Duke is supposed to be both serious and funny I think Sam and Remedy could do it right.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 03 September 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

Voidpoint

Really? Sure, I'd like to see another Duke game or two on the eduke32 engine made to professional standards. Something a bit old school along the lines of DNF 2013, then again one more like Duke Nukem Eternity where everyone pushes the engine to its limits with polymerNG and everything.

But, and I know this might be an unpopular opinion around here, at some stage the franchise needs to move forward and release a new game on a modern, fully 3D engine. There's no other way the franchise can move forward while remaining (return to being?) one of the big names in gaming. I'm not sure the indie status suits Duke.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options