Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior problems (SWP) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior problems (SWP)  "Not really related to Duke, but I don't know where else to post th"

User is offline   Wolfyboy 

Hello people,

Yesterday I felt like playing some Blood, but because there is still no modern source-port for that game, I opted to play some Shadow Warrior instead since I also have fond memories of that game.

Through the help of Google, I stumbled upon ProAsms SWP, which is a source-port for Shadow Warrior. I downloaded it, extracted the zip, and included the SW game-file in the folder and I was ready to go.

It played well, even though it has that same strange OpenGL sky bug going on that Duke 3D's Megaton Edition has, where the sky clips off at the top. I also have a minor gripe with the graphics having texture-filtering, and I couldn't find any way to turn this off.
Other than that though, everything seemed to play rather well. I played through the first two levels of the first episode before heading to bed. The next day however, I found that when I tried to load my saved game, it doesn't work for some reason...

Whenever I select my saved game from the 'Load' sub-menu, the game just 'blinks' and nothing happens. It doesn't matter how often I press enter, or use. It blinks, and nothing happens. Well... shit!

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, if it can be fixed? I would hate to ditch SWP just because of this minor, yet game-breaking bug. Especially since everything else about this port is done pretty well.

I've never read anything about Shadow Warrior support for eDuke32, but if this is the case I would love to give that one a try if this issue persists.

Thanks for reading and I hope to read your suggestions soon.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Your savegame may just be borked beyond repair. :P

Try a newer SWP build. It may be a little less glitchy. It may also be more glitchy. B)

https://github.com/H...6/SWP/releases/

I would recommend playing in 8-bit mode because the OpenGL mode in SWP is very old and lacks the accuracy improvements in EDuke32.

As for EDuke32 supporting SW, someday.

Okay, I just gave that beta a try!

The good news is, I seem to be able to load any recent save games. The bad news is, I think my old save games are corrupted. :P

Thanks for your reply! I'm going to see if I'm stumbling over any more issues.

I take it that texture filtering cannot be disabled?

• Weaponized Autism

It can. Texture Filter in Video Options.

User is online   Mark 

I have been playing SWP for a few years and I always use it's HRP and models. It may have flaws but its not anything I have an issue with. But then again, I'm not a hardcore player.

Okay, so I did some playing again and unfortunately I stumbled upon the same load game bug, where the game would flicker just once if you press enter to load a game. The menu-music stops and nothing happens.

The weird thing is, I actually tried to load my most recent save, and it worked! Except... It spawned me half-way into the floor! This was still in the first level, and unfortunately I can't seem to replicate this.
Furthermore, I just booted the game and it didn't load any save-game except for one (my most recent save). It didn't spawn me into the floor this time though.

Another problem I have is that I can't actually quit the game without crashing it. Whenever I quit the game from menu, it gives me an error that reads: "Caught exception 0x0000071A at 0x7701B727: (null) Please send swp.crash.log to the maintainers of SWP.".
I don't know if it helps to report these bugs, since I don't think this port is in active development anymore, but I figured I report it anyway!

This quit game error wouldn't be too bad, if it weren't for the fact that it seemingly prevents me from saving my configuration.

Also: yes, I found the texture-filtering option in the menu now! The game looks great this way!

This post has been edited by Wolfyboy: 26 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostMark., on 26 August 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I have been playing SWP for a few years and I always use it's HRP and models. It may have flaws but its not anything I have an issue with. But then again, I'm not a hardcore player.

I wouldn't call myself a hardcore player either, but things like not being able to load your game really do start to irritate after a while. The game itself runs great though, and the gameplay feels just like it should in my opinion.

User is online   Mark 

I don't have many saved games but mine all work.

View PostMark., on 26 August 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

I don't have many saved games but mine all work.

Are you using 64 bit Windows? I'm just trying to figure out why this bug keeps happening. When I Googled the issue, I've noticed more people encountered the load game bug in SWP, but so far the only thing we have in common is that we're running it on 64 bit Windows 7.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I would recommend you to play the game in DOSBox for now. There are no good SW source ports at the moment, so you will have to wait until EDuke32 supports SW.

User is online   Mark 

I'm running 32 bit Vista.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostWolfyboy, on 26 August 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Another problem I have is that I can't actually quit the game without crashing it. Whenever I quit the game from menu, it gives me an error that reads: "Caught exception 0x0000071A at 0x7701B727: (null) Please send swp.crash.log to the maintainers of SWP.".
I don't know if it helps to report these bugs, since I don't think this port is in active development anymore, but I figured I report it anyway!

Can you attach the swp.crash.log file here?

View PostHendricks266, on 27 August 2016 - 03:25 AM, said:

Can you attach the swp.crash.log file here?

Sure can!

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone! I actually wasn't expecting many replies considering SWP isn't directly related to eDuke32.

I would play this in DOSBox, but DOS emulation never really feels quite right to me.

Attached File(s)

SWP plays almost perfect, except for crashing using goodalpha (never noticed any visual difference between them). Also, too bad proasm never found what causes the random blackouts.

User is offline   Dan 

There is a bug in v4.3.2 and above that corrupts your singleplayer save game files. You have to use an older version like v4.3.1.
http://www.proasm.co...s/sw/Swp431.zip

This post has been edited by Dan: 29 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostDan, on 29 August 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

There is a bug in v4.3.2 and above that corrupts your singleplayer save game files. You have to use an older version like v4.3.1.
http://www.proasm.co...s/sw/Swp431.zip

Welp, that fixed the quit game crash, and the loading seems to work fine as well! Thanks a lot.

View PostWolfyboy, on 29 August 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Welp, that fixed the quit game crash, and the loading seems to work fine as well! Thanks a lot.

Have you tried this?
Shadow Warrior DosBox Launcher

Comes with a load of add-on levels too! If you have the original CD or a pukka purchased download (GOG.com), it will even install the game for you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options