• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Lunick 

Don't buy games from G2A

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLunick, on 30 December 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Don't buy games from G2A

Unless you know what are you doing, and buy their shitty shield, but even that, still not really worthy. :D

I only buy game on G2A once, got my FNV:UE copy, that was the time no GOG release and its price still at 19.99USD on Steam(and no sale around that time) and I were so urgent to want it after I got and played my free copy of FNV(no DLCs) from pre-ordered Wolfenstein: TNO at an online game retailer.

I got my FNV:UE copy about 12~13 USD with G2A shield fee, but after that, never try buy games from that shit site again, just too riskly or/and too high price.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postnecroslut, on 29 December 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I don't think that's what he's saying... I think he means that (in his/Gearbox's view) Megaton was a violation of the agreement between 3DR and Gearbox regarding Duke rights - not that they didn't get rights for the add-ons.

Megaton was released way before Gearbox sued 3DRealms.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostLunick, on 30 December 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Don't buy games from G2A

I'd go further and say that even piracy is better than buying stuff on G2A but if you really want a copy of Megaton in your Steam library the grey market is your only option.

As for their shield feature: that's a scam, just forget about it, disable that shit. There was a time when I was a lot less wise about the grey market so I viewed G2A as just another store to buy games at. I got scammed once (got a Russian key instead of a global one), I did not have shield on, they refunded me no problem (not the guy who sold me the key, that fucker tried to use every excuse in the world but G2A support stepped in and refunded me). Also if you look at how shield works you'll quickly see that it's a scam designed to rip you off with money for support you're getting anyway because the company is bound by law to provide it.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   Poorchop 

View PostZaxx, on 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

You can still get Megaton Edition through grey market sites like G2A, just be prepared that it will be expensive as fuck because the sellers there are vultures. Hey, Ukranian credit card thieves and drug dealers have to eat too!

I've been eyeing keys on G2A and was just taking a look seconds before seeing your comment because that's where others told me to look. There is truly no other way to buy this game. I even asked Devolver about it and they said nope.

The issue isn't so much that key resellers are charging a lot of this game, it's the fact that I've read of people buying gray market keys only to find out that they were invalid. One poster even said that the game was eventually deleted from his Steam library after activating the key. I'll pay the $30 that resellers are asking for the key but not if there's no guarantee that I'll get to keep the game.

Posted Image

Good thing Gearbox stayed true to their word.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPoorchop, on 31 December 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Good thing Gearbox stayed true to their word.

God, I love this '"wormlike" image they made for themselves. :D Gearbox has terrible PR and a CEO who just can't shut up, I mean the stuff you posted is clearly old and by Megaton Edition they meant their version of it (what ended up being called World Tour) but man, it really does seem like if they were lying. :DD What a terrible fucking company. ;)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Randy went from saying that they would bring Megaton back, to saying they want to try bringing it back, then saying Megaton was an illegal product. IMHO there's a logical progression in there.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostFox, on 01 January 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

Randy went from saying that they would bring Megaton back, to saying they want to try bringing it back, then saying Megaton was an illegal product. IMHO there's a logical progression in there.

The moral of the story: don't start telling people stuff while you're in the process of figuring out how that stuff should be. :D

User is offline   X-Vector 

What makes you think he was ever serious about bringing Megaton back?
Could very well just be damage control at the time.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostX-Vector, on 01 January 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

What makes you think he was ever serious about bringing Megaton back?
Could very well just be damage control at the time.

I don't think it was that because it makes no sense to do damage control by simply lying to your face. That's not damage control, that's doing damage. :D

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFox, on 31 December 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

Megaton was released way before Gearbox sued 3DRealms.

Yes. He said they "were kind there" and "let it go". They viewed it as a new Duke product, which 3DR didn't have the rights to sell. Kind of the same issue as with "Mass Destruction".

User is offline   Fox 

Megaton case is not related to Mass Destruction.

Regarding Mass Destruction, IIRC 3DRealms violated their contract with Gearbox that limited the conditions which they could release a Duke game, and also based the visuals on Duke Nukem Forever. Or so the lawsuit claimed.

Megaton is an illegal product because 3DRealms ignored any contract or payment to the original developers and publishers (Sunstorm, Wizardworks, etc). Which has nothing to do with Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFox, on 01 January 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Megaton case is not related to Mass Destruction.

Regarding Mass Destruction, IIRC 3DRealms violated their contract with Gearbox that limited the conditions which they could release a Duke game, and also based the visuals on Duke Nukem Forever. Or so the lawsuit claimed.

Megaton is an illegal product because 3DRealms ignored any contract or payment to the original developers and publishers (Sunstorm, Wizardworks, etc). Which has nothing to do with Gearbox.

Where are you getting this from? Unless you have some other quote, nothing he said implies what you're saying.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostZaxx, on 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

You can still get Megaton Edition through grey market sites like G2A, just be prepared that it will be expensive as fuck because the sellers there are vultures. Hey, Ukranian credit card thieves and drug dealers have to eat too!

I wonder how many of those Megaton codes were from $1 tier humble bundles?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 02 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Wait wait wait I thought 3DRealms had nothing to do with Megaton Edition, Well anyway as Nukemdave said Illegal or not People love it.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 02 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDuke Legacy, on 02 January 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Wait wait wait I thought 3DRealms had nothing to do with Megaton Edition, Well anyway as Nukemdave said Illegal or not People love it.

I don't think the love people seem to have for Megaton has to do much with Megaton: I mean all things considered it's a pretty terrible source port (yes, even WT is significantly higher quality), it's just that everything there is compatible with EDuke32 out of the box and it was the only way to get the non-3DR expansions legally in a digital format. I bought it in a heartbeat back in the day but never used the source port, just EDuke32 (I have motion sickness from Megaton's 16:9 FoV).

I'm sad that ME is no longer available but only because of the expansions (well, except for Nuclear Winter, every existing copy of that should be buried in Nevada).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 02 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

IIRC it also had a much better integration with the Steam workshop than WT does. ME would allow texture packs, replacement textures, sounds, and music and whatnot while WT does not.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPoorchop, on 29 December 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Network issues or not, Megaton still seems like the de facto standard for network play. I found out about Duke Matcher yesterday and I also gave Meltdown a shot but I regret it because those installers seemed kind of fishy. Plus I couldn't find any games.

I've read a lot of negative things about Nuclear Winter but like it or not, seems to me like it's a part of Duke history especially since it was part of a major release. Is it theoretically even possible to play those other episodes online for people who don't have Megaton? I didn't do a ton of exploring but I don't remember seeing any option to launch custom maps over multiplayer with eduke.

I've got a few extra copies of Megaton on Humble Bundle I may be willing to sell. The problem is that the pages are linked to my steam account, and I'm concerned that when I click on the activation I may not be able to give others the key.

I also don't know if region locking will be a problem.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Do they not have gift links next to the code generator?

• Honored Donor

I've got two sets of bundles, the "Devolver Digital Double Debut!" which do have them, and the "Humble Weekly Sale: Retro Shooters!" which do not. I've sent them an email seeing if they can unlock them, as I recall purchasing them as gifts originally. Too bad I couldn't buy more at the time, as I'd hit a limit due to buying too many Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

If you bought them as gifts then I don't think the links can be turned into gift codes again.

• Honored Donor

So then what can I do? Add them to my account as a gift and then gift it to a steam friend?

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostFox, on 01 January 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Megaton is an illegal product because 3DRealms ignored any contract or payment to the original developers and publishers (Sunstorm, Wizardworks, etc).

That's something new :D

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Steam doesn't allow that kind of linking anymore where a separate entity (like Humble) can itself redeem codes on Steam by itself. It'll just give you the code and give you a link to your account on Steam to redeem it yourself. You can still copy and paste the code and give it away (or sell it).

User is offline   HellFire 

The add ons were never a property of 3d realms or gearbox, wizardworks owned them but they fucking dissolved and sold the assets to atari. Shit is very confusing but the add ons are now in copyright limbo and it is impossible to know who owns the rights. Devolver digital could never have included the add ons in megaton.

User is offline   Fox 

It would be expected for the expansion packs to be orphaned works. Randy tweets show a shift of interest over the expansion packs.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 02 January 2018 - 10:30 PM, said:

I've got a few extra copies of Megaton on Humble Bundle I may be willing to sell. The problem is that the pages are linked to my steam account, and I'm concerned that when I click on the activation I may not be able to give others the key.

I also don't know if region locking will be a problem.

openly discussing pirating something that Randy has declared "illegal".
My hero. :D

User is offline   Newken 

What about a workaround like this? Technically possible?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNewken, on 04 January 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

What about a workaround like this? Technically possible?

No. This Red Hammer installation guide offers two methods. The first applies if you have specific editions of the game that come with the RH game data. In that case it's just a file copy. The second method is analogous to the Duke expansions. If you own an edition of the game that does not include their game data (which is the case for WT, the only remaining edition of Duke for sale), the guide's solution is to pirate the data.

User is offline   Sanek 

How about releasing expansions everywhere outside US?

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options