• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 September 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Why do people use controllers or console builds at all for retro FPS gameplay videos? That's retarded. My original point still stands. I wouldn't dare let this out into the public without putting way more effort into making it look good by getting better at it. It just looks like they turned it on and recorded the very first playthrough they did.

For something like the original Quake or Unreal, I agree. For stuff like Doom or Duke3D, however, I think either way is perfectly viable. There isn't as much demand for precise pixel perfect twitch aiming, even less so for the original Doom with its lack of vertical aiming, afterall a number of players used arrows to move and aim.
The only big issue is selecting weapons; you can easily pull out any of them at any point on PC using the number keys, however on console you either have to switch through them in order until you get what you want or if the port allows it, putting certain weapons on favorites (so D-pad left is always rocket launcher, for instance).

The problem with these videos isn't that they are recorded using a console/controller, instead they are recorded with mediocre players.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 24 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostTea Monster, on 24 September 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

I can see where they edited the sides of the HUD sprite to add on the extended sides ;).

Fox made a widescreen HUD that easily beats this one. They didn't even try to finish the rounded shapes on the sides which are clearly pointing down. It doesn't make any sense at all the way they did it.

User is offline   Ronin 

Laughing at some reactions to the trailer on Youtube.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Ronan: 24 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

At least the most upvoted one there is the most sensible one. ;)

View PostHulkNukem, on 24 September 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

For something like the original Quake or Unreal, I agree. For stuff like Doom or Duke3D, however, I think either way is perfectly viable. There isn't as much demand for precise pixel perfect twitch aiming, even less so for the original Doom with its lack of vertical aiming, afterall a number of players used arrows to move and aim.
The only big issue is selecting weapons; you can easily pull out any of them at any point on PC using the number keys, however on console you either have to switch through them in order until you get what you want or if the port allows it, putting certain weapons on favorites (so D-pad left is always rocket launcher, for instance).

The problem with these videos isn't that they are recorded using a console/controller, instead they are recorded with mediocre players.

Just remember the best controller player in FPS games is only mediocre when pitted against Keyboard and Mouse. M$ tried pitting xbox vs PC players on xbox live for Halo around a decade ago. Needless to say none of the console players made the cut.

User is online   zykov eddy 

View PostMetHy, on 24 September 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

What's up with the chaingun in these two screenshots?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last one looks terrible, it's like a user map from 1997 with some cheap effects added. If this is the best part of the level, I'm afraid to see the rest.
Also, can't stand those screaming noises Duke makes.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 24 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostRobert Stever, on 24 September 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Just remember the best controller player in FPS games is only mediocre when pitted against Keyboard and Mouse. M$ tried pitting xbox vs PC players on xbox live for Halo around a decade ago. Needless to say none of the console players made the cut.

So a completely competent player using a controller will always lose against a player of any skill level using a mouse and keyboard?
I've played several PC games with a controller online and usually end up in the top 3 of the leaderboards; I was doing just that when the new Doom came out, and I don't consider myself an amazing player. I would stay in the same position when I used k/m
Individual player skill > Control method
Like I said in that same post though, games like Quake or Counter Strike lend themselves to be played with a keyboard and mouse, sniper sections in games are usually more of a chore with a joystick; however completely writing off controllers is just foolish.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 24 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Ok. This gameplay beats mine. You win.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

The biggest problem with the maps is the shading, in my opinion. Even the programmed polymer shading feature can't save this one from looking awful.

Some of the pilymer effects are so bright, it hurts my eyes, like this one:

Posted Image

I have really mixed feelings about the maps. Half of stuff I've seen looks good enough (some of the designs are pretty cool, some textures look professional, nice shading effects), others look unfinished at best.

My "favorite" is this one, I don't think that even good shading can save it.

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Looks like someone imported a load of 'Heretic' textures.

Maybe England just looks like the game Heretic, but I actually got that vibe too.

User is offline   X-Vector 

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com

Not a terrific likeness, though.

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postzykov eddy, on 24 September 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

The last one looks terrible, it's like a user map from 1997 with some cheap effects added. If this is the best part of the level, I'm afraid to see the rest.
Also, can't stand those screaming noises Duke makes.

View Postzykov eddy, on 24 September 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

The biggest problem with the maps is the shading, in my opinion. Even the programmed polymer shading feature can't save this one from looking awful.

Some of the pilymer effects are so bright, it hurts my eyes, like this one:

I have really mixed feelings about the maps. Half of stuff I've seen looks good enough (some of the designs are pretty cool, some textures look professional, nice shading effects), others look unfinished at best.

My "favorite" is this one, I don't think that even good shading can save it.

Yeah, and what I hate the most is when the lightsources are added very cheaply. For instance an electricity based light source coming from a brick pillar, or even directly from a rock wall (3rd screenshot on Steam store page).dd
So not only it looks like they didn't give a fuck with wall/sector shading because "dynamic lights", but those lights weren't included in the best of ways.

Doe anyone know how to make pro mid 90's FPS level design anymore?!

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 September 2016 - 02:06 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

The Amsterdam map looks pretty cool. Having lived there myself for a few years, I have to say the first outdoor location is a solid DN3D version of a typical Amsterdam street/canal.
Especially little touches, like the abundance of bikes everywhere and the tour boat in the canal. ;)

I do agree with most criticism though. Some of the stuff just seems rushed and half assed, especially that "new" enemy. But I think most of the maps will be good.

As an aside, it's kinda funny that they're pitching the maps as "the biggest maps in Duke3D ever".
Our community knows there are biggers mods and maps out there for free.
And I don't think a casual gamer would be impressed by a 20 year old game, no matter how big the new maps are.

User is offline   Valhalla 

View PostMerlijn, on 25 September 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

The Amsterdam map looks pretty cool. Having lived there myself for a few years, I have to say the first outdoor location is a solid DN3D version of a typical Amsterdam street/canal.
Especially little touches, like the abundance of bikes everywhere and the tour boat in the canal. ;)

I do agree with most criticism though. Some of the stuff just seems rushed and half assed, especially that "new" enemy. But I think most of the maps will be good.

As an aside, it's kinda funny that they're pitching the maps as "the biggest maps in Duke3D ever".
Our community knows there are biggers mods and maps out there for free.
And I don't think a casual gamer would be impressed by a 20 year old game, no matter how big the new maps are.

Yeah, I saw a playthrough of the first two levels, they weren't very long/big compared to most of the bigger usermaps, but I suppose compared to the original levels they seemed longer. (Or at least more detailed.) But keep in mind the devs haven't had 15ish years to refine their mapping skills.

Still, any new duke nukem 3d content all this time later is a welcome addition to me, just as long as that touched-up build engine isn't badly done. (Which given it's from the same people who did colonial marines, I seriously worry about.) I just want it for a better engine really, eduke suffers from poor performance with polymer even on my i7 and gtx1080, if I could have eduke32 but with butter smooth performance while retaining all the original duke nukem 3d quality, that would be worth the $20 to me alone. Also working multiplayer, even megaton had very poor multiplayer code. (Restricted to LANs and short distance play only because of latency.)

This post has been edited by Valhalla: 25 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   MrSet 

View PostValhalla, on 25 September 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Also working multiplayer, even megaton had very poor multiplayer code. (Restricted to LANs and short distance play only because of latency.)

Yes, a better netcode or the DREAM : Client / Server.

User is online   Lunick 

If you're expecting there to be better multiplayer after seeing all the other dodgy things Nerve/Gearbox has done on this port then you're gonna have a bad time.

I have to wonder how easy the lights will be placable in the new editor (I'm assuming they won't bundle Mapster32). Gearbox would want people uploading maps to the Workshop and have the new lights attached to them too.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLunick, on 25 September 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

If you're expecting there to be better multiplayer after seeing all the other dodgy things Nerve/Gearbox has done on this port then you're gonna have a bad time.

Count me as one of those who expects multiplayer to be pretty good. The dodginess we have seen has to do with sloppy art and some poor choices on integrating new textures and features into the build engine. There's no reason to believe that the netcode is poor.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostLunick, on 25 September 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

I have to wonder how easy the lights will be placable in the new editor (I'm assuming they won't bundle Mapster32). Gearbox would want people uploading maps to the Workshop and have the new lights attached to them too.

Maybe I misunderstood, but didn TX say they were the same as Polymer lights as far as Mapster was concerned? I don't have a quote, but that's how I remember it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

The fact they aren't mentioning any improvement to the net code worries me. I think we will get stuck with the same old sync system.

Is there any video of dukematch in world tour yet?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I wouldn't expect there to be a new editor, as the new maps were all made with Mapster32.

User is online   Lunick 

By "new editor" I meant whatever they ship with World Tour, assuming they do include one.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They couldn't supply that unless they paid royalties, could they? And since they were avoiding that by starting from scratch with the source...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMike Norvak, on 22 September 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

What everyone seems to forget is that the comunity has been mapping and coding "uninterruptedly" for the last 20 years so the experience and learning developed by many people in that time is worth considering, even if great maps and mods came few time after the original release they weren't created with a strict deadline and commercial pushed interest.

It's not so much about the maps, because they have been doing level design in some capacity ever since even if they didn't touch Duke3D. The art and coding is amateur at best. If you got experienced Doom modders for example to work on Duke3D, there would be a learning curve indeed, but they have experience with retro games and would output a better product.

View PostDaedolon, on 23 September 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

I'm starting to become convinced you actually really do hate life.

Why not?

View PostTea Monster, on 23 September 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Supposedly, from what I've heard, there was talk of making a final update to DN3D with some of the ROR updates that made it into Shadow Warrior. This never saw the light of day.

I don't suppose for a minute that any of that was put into World Tour?

Not much of that patch (referred to as version 1.7 in some places) was ever done. Dirk Jones converted some of the sprites to voxels, and I think some scraps were left in the source, but that was about it. It was really just pre-DNF testing.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jimmy Gnosis: 25 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostValhalla, on 25 September 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I saw a playthrough of the first two levels,

Do you have a video link to the 2Nd level being played?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 25 September 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

It's not so much about the maps, because they have been doing level design in some capacity ever since even if they didn't touch Duke3D.

Hasn't Levelord been retired for many years?

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMetHy, on 26 September 2016 - 03:36 AM, said:

Do you have a video link to the 2Nd level being played?

I haven't seen any gameplay of any other new levels except High Times.

They changed 3D Realms time to Duke's Time too...
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This makes me wonder if they've removed the 3DR logo at the beginning as well.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

They are probably not allowed to use the 3DRealms logo.

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

What about on Movie Set?

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options