Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Spotlight] Lighthouse

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lighthouse by Billy Boy released on 5th December 1999

This Single Player map is massive in the sense of how tall it is and impressive it looks from a distance.

The map comes with an assortment of files, custom sounds, con files and art files. Billy Boy has also released Valves, Clearwater, Bedrone, Deadfall, Dukem Memorial Hospital and Oranges.

From the .txt file:
How many Pigcops does it take to stop Duke from screwing in a light bulb? You probably know the answer. It is dawn. Duke is sent to repair a lighthouse overrun by aliens. A hard climb to the base of the tower, and Duke finds there are eight floors to the top , and the elevator is locked. Some pigcops have learned to toss morters, some turrets have been upgraded to RPG launchers, and Duke is thinking he will be putting in some overtime on this job.

Red newbeasts and red octobrains are twice as tough as the normal monsters. The troopers explode when they fall into water. Red turrets are tough, but they still stop shooting when taking damage. Some sloped roof buildings have insides where alien snipers shoot through one way windows. Find a way inside, or try blasting the window with heavy explosives. From inside, you have the advantage. Easy skill level has only respawn monsters. Normal skill has some intense battles. There is a secret level bonus level button. This sends you to E1L11. I supplied a map for this. Just have it in your directory with the other stuff here. There are a few large boss types that won't end the level. It is best to go around these monsters. Also, each of the eight floors has a room that unlocks the floor above.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

how about writing a little bit about your experience with the map to maybe make it more interesting for someone to give it a try

(or most likely a replay
- and in this case another attempt at finishing it; though this, bedrone, & deadfall are billy's "easier" maps)

User is offline   Polunka 

Remember this map. Took me a lot of time and effort to get inside. Once you've done it, it gets significantly easier to proceed, I think.

P.S.: I think I'd definitely give it a replay at some point in the future.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 15 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

How did you get in?

There is no entrance making it impossible to continue from the starting area.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostCaptain Massive, on 15 August 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

How did you get in?

There is no entrance making it impossible to continue from the starting area.

er, wat?
I know it's been around 5 years since I played this map, but iirc the starting area is out in the water. How do you expect to get inside the lighthouse if you're standing way out away from the the rock island the lighthouse is sitting on? Also, it's probably just over half the map to get up the rock face and unlock enough stuff to even get inside the base of the lighthouse, let alone into the central spire. Asking to go from the start area directly to the lighthouse is a bit greedy.

can you be more specific about where you're stuck? At the base of the lighthouse, or at the base of the island?
Then Lunick can help you properly.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostForge, on 15 August 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

er, wat?
I know it's been around 5 years since I played this map, but iirc the starting area is out in the water. How do you expect to get inside the lighthouse if you're standing way out away from the the rock island the lighthouse is sitting on? Also, it's probably just over half the map to get up the rock face and unlock enough stuff to even get inside the base of the lighthouse, let alone into the central spire. Asking to go from the start area directly to the lighthouse is a bit greedy.

can you be more specific about where you're stuck? At the base of the lighthouse, or at the base of the island?
Then Lunick can help you properly.

I traveled around the entire outside of it several times, found no entrance whatsoever. ( I did not count the water in my assumption )

There is what appears to be a ladder right by a gated area I could not enter either close to the waters edge, but it does not function.

I even glitched underwater at 1 point by jumping off of a grey pillar but it didn't help either.

User is online   Lunick 

So, follow the greyish water to the main area and then go through the swampish area until you find some regular water that you can dive down into and around that area is a switch that will open up an underwater door which you can swim up into with leads into the inside of a toilet. It can be a bit confusing.

User is offline   quakis 

Might be useful for some people, I wrote a walkthrough for this in 2007; http://taw.duke4.net...ht-walkthrough/ - It might be a little awkward to follow if you just need a pointer though (and the formatting sucks...)

This post has been edited by quakis: 16 August 2016 - 12:36 AM

View PostLunick, on 16 August 2016 - 12:07 AM, said:

So, follow the greyish water to the main area and then go through the swampish area until you find some regular water that you can dive down into and around that area is a switch that will open up an underwater door which you can swim up into with leads into the inside of a toilet. It can be a bit confusing.

Ahh OK I spent hours trying to figure that out in the 3 or 4 times I tried this map over the years.

Maybe I'll try again thanks.

User is offline   Polunka 

Btw, I know it's a bit off the thread's topic, but can anyone who's ever contacted Billy Boy tell me if he's even alive? I suppose I shouldn't be asking such a question (idk why exactly, maybe out of politeness or ath), but his maps really stand out among the others, and it's kinda surprising to see him nowhere, in contrast to his maps which have been given much attention through years on numerous sites. Like, I've read many threads related to his maps on many forums but didn't even see him write a post in them. Has he even been registered on any Duke-related sites? Maybe the good ol' Dukeworld when it was active? Has anyone even ever heard anything from him (not in the form of a map template txt)?

This struck me when I was looking through the MoM interviews at CGS and saw the supposed interview with Billy hadn't been "held" due to impossibility of contacting him. It's just about that feeling of relief and gratitude when you read those interviews with mappers not being as active nowadays, you feel they're alive and good and, thus, you can "thank" them inside your mind for what they've done for the community. But with Billy's case - it's like he completely vanished after appearing out of nowhere but meanwhile bringing such masterpieces to the players.

P.S.: I've been playing Duke through years, but I think it's only now that I can rightfully proclaim I've become one of the members of the community, so I'm sorry in advance if I'm being unaware of sth everyone already knows (regarding Billy's case).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 16 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostPolunka, on 16 August 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Btw, I know it's a bit off the thread's topic, but can anyone who's ever contacted Billy Boy tell me if he's even alive?

Before I joined these forums I played on YANG a lot. Billy Boy was on there quite a bit back then (2011-ish)

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDrek, on 16 August 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Before I joined these forums I played on YANG a lot. Billy Boy was on there quite a bit back then (2011-ish)

was he still living in new zealand?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options