Duke4.net Forums: No Man's Sky - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

[former thread title: "No Man's Sky - SJW Space Simulator?"]

So there's a profanity filter in the game to keep you from naming planets, animals, etc anything "obscene" since everything is saved on the mass server in case someone else happens across something you've discovered. Words like "got," "moose," and "spike" are all filtered. What are these even supposed to mean? This is political correctness gone overboard. Completely unnecessary. Fine, filter the 5 or so main swears or however many there are, but this is going overboard. Stahp it.

Funnily enough, one person named a planet "Buttplug" and Angry Joe named a species "space herpes." It's like piracy. You can't stop it so don't even try, you just tick off all the legit customers. Really annoyed right now.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 12 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Do you think that maybe the filter might be broken or not working correctly? I think that might be a more reasonable explanation rather than thinking it is something a "SJW Developer" would do...

There are perfectly acceptable things to get mad about around No Man's Sky like the developer's misleading statements around the multiplayer (or lack of) but I'm not quite sure a filter is enough to warrant an angry thread over :P

• The Sarien Encounter

Of all the things this bugged me the most. It's just stupid. I'm not angry, I'm just very frustrated.

User is offline   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...274185419563009 The developer seems open to silly names so I guess something is broken :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 12 August 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

There are perfectly acceptable things to get mad about around No Man's Sky like the developer's misleading statements around the multiplayer (or lack of) but I'm not quite sure a filter is enough to warrant an angry thread over :P

What? I thought the loose objective of the game was to find other people.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 12 August 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

What? I thought the loose objective of the game was to find other people.

You can't see other players in the game :P

You can only really find other people's named planets and creatures.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its fitting AngryJoe named something space herpes.

There are shenanigans about multiplayer and Hello Games are so indirect about it; they said there are a lot of server issues when it was brought up two people couldn't see eachother, and yet they never directly said because the servers are having issues is why they couldn't see eachother. They've directly said you can see eachother and play together at times since the games announcement, and then other times said it has no multiplayer. He was on Conan showing the game off saying you can see others and they can see you. Theres special edition boxes that have a sticker covering up the icon that said it had multiplayer (and the old age rating).
I have a feeling it might've been genuine that they wanted to have multiplayer in, but with how the game runs on PS4 and how demanding it would be, probably had to drop it from their game. Its a problem when a developer is so vague about their own game.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The reason for blocking out certain words is because of same people who hijacked a McDonald's 'name a burger' competition, that basically ended how everyone not connected with the thing thought it would.
Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Naming contests where everyone is allowed to type their own name will never end well on the internet.

• The Sarien Encounter

So two players ended up finding eachother and streamed their first encounter together. Not only did they not see eachother but one person on the same planet in the same location was standing there during the daytime and the other was at night. The dev is still being super vague about whether you're actually supposed to see eachother or not. Lots of contradicting statements.

• The Sarien Encounter

Anybody here ever play or hear of Empyrion - Galactic Survival? It's a nearly-access game on Steam that allegedly has far more content than No Man's Sky could hope to have. Why is this game not as popular as NMS? Lack of marketing? Just looking for more information. It's also significantly cheaper...

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

From my perspective, I was completely burned out on indie space games. Steam has 10 for each other indie game, and most of it is shit, all of them have generic space screenshots and nobody wants to shift through all that to find a single good game. NMS just lucked out with the Sony reveal.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Gggmanlives review is up. The "imply everything and anything is possible" Molyneux approach seems to be in full effect here. That said, I find the art style to be pretty appealing.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 13 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"As large as an ocean and deep as a puddle" is a pretty good quote.

• Ancient Blood God

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Super mean but made me laugh:

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 15 August 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Super mean but made me laugh:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RvAwB7ogkik

I'm in tears

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Rofl!!

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I made the mistake of watching this vid with my headphones... certainly an unforgettable experience (the video, not the game)... :P

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

• Ancient Blood God

• The Sarien Encounter

AngryJoe's review is up. 37 minutes of rage as it should be.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options