Duke4.net Forums: Scorn - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scorn  "Indie Surreal Horror FPS"

User is offline   deuxsonic 

http://www.scorn-game.com/

Takes on this?

If the game is interesting to play, this video didn't show me why... Very impressive graphics and interesting "living" environment/weapons etc, but I got no understanding of what the game is like or about. Just "looks amazing/creepy", but "what does it do?" kind of thing.

CatNapDreams

User is offline   Engel220 

I'm definitely intrigued. As a horror fan something like this speaks to me immediately, but unlike a lot of horror games that have come out recently this has really drawn my eye and kept it there. I like the vibe of the game, I like the Giger-esque styling, I'm fascinated with that weapon that was displayed briefly and how it appears to have different attachments and I just really enjoy what I'm seeing so far. Hopefully there will be some expansion of what exactly is happening in this world, though, as aside from an enticing presentation there's no context to what is shown.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 11 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

User is offline   Cage 

I don't care for the gameplay, this is BEAUTIFUL AND GORGEOUS *_*

User is offline   Malgon 

I was actually meaning to start a thread on this a couple of weeks back but didn't for whatever reason. Anyway, the game definitely has taken from Giger's work to an extent, but a lot of comments have said the works of Zdzisław Beksiński and David Cronenberg come to mind as well. Whatever the inspirations, the game does look different from what's on the market at the moment. I don't know what it will play like, but I'm sure it will be plenty atmospheric.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I didn't realize until afterwards that this is actually 2 trailers. The gameplay trailer starts with the disclaimer. The developers themselves I guess have been toiling away with this since 2014. The idea of the game for them is survival horror, where you're in very odd environments that have their own rules. The areas are presented in a non-linear format and require careful attention to detail as there's definitely puzzle-solving, where missing something can lead to something bad. Neither video shows off combat but there is supposed to be a limited amount of combat with a weapon that has interchangable parts, so I'm guessing there will be eluding dangerous situations rather than fighting your way through them. There's definitely a H.R. Giger inspiration and that's what the newer (first) trailer focuses on is showing the very unusual environments and introducing who you play as, a very tall thin humanoid. The scenes with that music is very creepy/repulsive as it is, all very organic and nightmare-ish. The music of the second part of the video specifically reminds me of György Ligeti's work, discordant and reminiscent of the later parts of Atmosphères, with the flutes, and the sounds definitely all work well with this. I wish it would dive deeper into the gameplay. It does show a little bit of the puzzle solving but that's about it, with most of the focus being on the environments which I've really never seen anything like in a game.

"Scorn, described by Serbian game developer Ebb Software as an "atmospheric first person horror adventure" will launch for PC via Steam in 2017. Scorn will feature a combination of gunplay and puzzle solving, with the environment and the creatures which inhabit it doing whatever they can to stop your progress. We're told there will be no cut-scenes, with all storytelling taking place in-game. In addition, gameplay will not feature a HUD, with everything the player needs to know implied and indicated through environmental design. "We are trying to create something so unsettling it will make you think about the ideas and themes of the game long after you've finished playing," said Ebb Software's Ljubomir Peklar. Scorn Part 1, DASEIN, aims to launch in 2017, with Part 2 to follow."

The subtitle is interesting, being a German word that loosely correlates with the word of "existence" in English. There might be hints in this towards what the game has in store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasein

Here is a Google Image search yielding lots of additional art:

https://goo.gl/uJeMps
Posted Image

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 14 August 2016 - 12:02 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

New gameplay trailer and Kickstarter page are now up.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I am so ready for this game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options