Duke4.net Forums: Info-Suite 7.3 Errors/Omissions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Info-Suite 7.3 Errors/Omissions

The Duke Nukem 3D Informational Suite Version 7.3 Errors/Omissions

Found two so far.

1. Omitted: F10 enters 2d3d-Mode. (also missing on eduke32 wiki)

2. You cannot place Recon Patrol Vehicles and Two-Way Trains in the same map.

Listed under: Horizontally Moving Sectors, subsections B2 & Recon :Notes sections.

[This is untrue my map has 5 Two-Way Trains and 4 Recons working just fine on same map]

3. Wall Hitag 2+ makes it invisible on the map, mirror texture also does this as well ( good for hiding secrets from cheaters ) 1 also works but affects lighting as well.

Also prevents bullet holes from appearing ( good for rotating sectors and pistons that have an odd affect from said bullet holes.)

4. Wall Lotag prevents buttons from being pushed behind them.

( this gave me a real head-ache at one piont and ended up using a forcefield to keep the button from being pushed behind the little door I made for it. )

I wish I knew this then.

5. Cyclers need an offset if the shades are set differently in order to function side by side, otherwise they must match each others shades to pulse simultaneously in adjoining sectors.

Different shades need to be tagged with an offset and will pulse at different intervals.

( I found there are exeptions to this rule, not sure if its the parallaxed sky I tried or what - needs further testing ).

Not my 1st rodeo - MapFAQ credits me from 2000 so I'm pretty sure about these.

The Map Editing FAQ for Duke Nukem 3D - Version 2.1
This File is Authored and Copyright © 2000 by:
Jonah Bishop
Credits:
-- "Captain Massive" Found *numerous* errors in the FAQ, and made several suggestions. Also created some of the tutorial maps and suggested some how-tos.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I think that the "2 way train + recon car" limit got fixed in EDuke32. So, having both would work in EDuke32, but not in vanilla or another port.

I think anyway.

View PostMetHy, on 21 July 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

I think that the "2 way train + recon car" limit got fixed in EDuke32. So, having both would work in EDuke32, but not in vanilla or another port.

I think anyway.

It is misleading enough that my 1st map I was reluctant to put them in, and almost didn't on my re-release and would have made it less fun.

So people should know not to be afraid to try this. (like I was.)

User is offline   MetHy 

I think it would be nice to have a list somewhere of all the small things like this that are possible in EDuke32 and not elsewhere that people wouldn't think of, or on the contrary take for granted and forgot would only work in EDuke32.
Like being able to have any sprite, of any size and shape, floor aligned.
Being able to have a texture with transparency parts behind a transparent maskwall.
Being able to use non active sprites on subways and moving sectors.
Having a ship which shoots rockets work at any Z height you want.
etc I'm sure there is more.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

2d3d mode didn't exist when that guide was last updated.

User is offline   Nukey 

How bizarre, I didn't realize the email I just responded to yesterday was also posted on the forum. I guess I'll just repost my response...

ya there are hundreds of errors (by technicality), and *thousands* of omissions (even when limiting oneself to Build).

> 1. Omitted: F10 enters 2d3d-Mode. (also missing on eduke32 wiki) <

once every few years i shovel up some info about eduke32/mapster32 and document it, but i have absolutely no obligations towards those programs. my guide is intended to document Build, anything else in there is just a (perpetually outdated) bonus.

funny you mention this one in particular though. just last week i mashed all the F-keys in a row to see what was new, and noticed this for the first time. the feature that really stood out to me was the playable sound list on the F2 key. that one is absurdly useful.

> 2. You cannot place Recon Patrol Vehicles and Two-Way Trains in the same map.

[This is untrue my map Hogwash Overboard CGS Link has 3 Two-Way Trains and 4 Recons working just fine on same map]

:Unsure about subways requires further testing. <

you can have all three of them in a single map without issue. i've been omitting this trick for several reasons, but i do have plans to eventually include it at least in the oddities section.

your map looks cool by the way. the RPV room is very reminiscent of Occupied Territory, which is one of my favorite maps from the original game.

View PostNukey, on 23 July 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

How bizarre, I didn't realize the email I just responded to yesterday was also posted on the forum. I guess I'll just repost my response...

Thanks for the reply & yes that one room was inspired by Occupied Territory :P The entire base was on the moon at first, until I changed it to an underwater theme.
Not sure what RPV means though

What does Sprite Clipping do? Right-Ctrl + N says Sprite Clipping On but seems so do nothing.

The documentation is unclear on this, only stating that its usefull.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 25 July 2016 - 12:58 AM

3. Wall Hitag 2+ makes it invisible on the map, mirror texture also does this as well ( good for hiding secrets from cheaters ) 1 also works but affects lighting as well.

I just noticed this messing around on my testing grounds.

4. Wall Lotag prevents buttons from being pushed behind them.

( this gave me a real head-ache at one piont and ended up using a forcefield to keep the button from being pushed behind the little door I made for it. )

I wish I knew this then.

5. Cyclers need an offset if the shades are set differently in order to function side by side, otherwise they must match each others shades to pulse simultaneously in adjoining sectors.

Different shades need to be tagged with an offset and will pulse at different intervals.

( I found there are exeptions to this rule, not sure if its the parallaxed sky I tried or what - needs further testing ).

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 09 August 2016 - 03:07 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options