Duke4.net Forums: Will the AMC TC always use the classic renderer? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will the AMC TC always use the classic renderer?

User is offline   Jim 

I want to play the AMC TC with the texture filtering. So I am just curious on why the classic renderer can't support filtering, or that the Polymost renderer can't support TROR? Is there going to be development for Polymost to support TROR? I would prefer to wait and play it later if the render is going to get further improvements. Thanks!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The TC is always going to use the classic renderer as the main one. All the features are designed to be compatible with classic, such as the use of voxels instead of models.

Is texture filtering really that important though? A lot of the art is relatively low res and would look pretty blurry. If you give it a go, chances are you wont even notice the pixels after half an hour.

However if you're absolutely sticking to your guns, your best bet may be to wait for polymerNG to be merged in with eduke. It's the only renderer actively under development, and combines the speed of polymost with the fancy effects of polymer. We may even include a few simple, optional, coded lighting effects to spruce things up. It wouldn't be a priority though.

User is offline   Jim 

Since the POLYMERNG appears to be stalled, I would like to try to run the AMC TC with Polymer, I have a pretty powerful pc now, but I don't really like the Polymer lights. I just want the Classic look with Filitering. Is this doable? What settings do I need to set? Thanks!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Check Display Settings for an option to disable lights.

User is offline   Jblade 

don't try and run it with polymer, it doesn't support skyboxes and other things and will just look awful.

• Honored Donor

View PostJblade, on 20 June 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

don't try and run it with polymer, it doesn't support skyboxes and other things and will just look awful.

Putting frame rate aside, the biggest issue would be the lack of skybox functionality and other showview-related effects. Another concern is that the draw distance will always slice the level in half in a very noticeable and ugly fashion as many of the levels are extremely large.

User is offline   Jim 

M210 seems to have created a Polymost renderer that can support ROR with the newest Bloodgdx. Is it possible to incorporate this into the AMCTC so that it can have texture filtering for those of us that want it?

• Honored Donor

View PostJim, on 19 July 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

M210 seems to have created a Polymost renderer that can support ROR with the newest Bloodgdx. Is it possible to incorporate this into the AMCTC so that it can have texture filtering for those of us that want it?

Don't ask us; as the eduke32 developers as they're the ones who would be fixing it. If they can fix the ROR glitches in polymost then there'd be no reason why you can't use it. Keep in mind though that TROR is more complex than the relatively simple ROR that would have been used Blood and Shadow warrior, both in implementation and in the geometry of the maps.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

A similar rendition of the ROR used in Blood exists in EDuke32 already honestly. You'd have to do some scripting for "complete" support though. However TROR (which AMC uses) is a whole different beast. It's not at all the same.

• Weaponized Autism

Portal-based ROR as used in SW, Blood, and RR is different from TROR. Polymost has always supported the former.

• Honored Donor

I've heard a few times that polymost is effectively an implementation of the classic renderer built around openGL. If this is the case, what are the problems that are preventing it from running to the same degree of accuracy as the classic renderer?

• Weaponized Autism

OpenGL 1.1 is a very primitive API. Also, the way Polymost does a lot of things differently than graphics hardware and programming schools of thought would like. Finally, I have not yet taught myself how to rewrite it.

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 20 July 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Also, the way Polymost does a lot of things differently than graphics hardware and programming schools of thought would like.

Heh, sounds like Ken to me!

The speed improvements to the 64-bit software renderer make a noticeable improvement and really help things out though. Hopefully by the time Episode 5 comes out we'll either have some kind of poly* renderer with TROR or computers will be fast enough to handle heavy classic Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options