Duke4.net Forums: Sega corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sega corner.  "Discuss anything Sega related. Includes ports too!"

I'll be starting off by posting this Youtube clip a/b 20 years later. The Sega Saturn has been finally cracked. Expect very accurate Sega Saturn emulators in the future!

Favorite memories w/ Sega? Games and/or Consoles?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

One of the weird design decisions was using quads instead of triangles as a basic rendering unit. I remember in an interview with Ezra Dreisbach who wrote the Slavedriver engine that powered PowerSlave, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D on Saturn that he wasn't happy with this decision.

Spoiler

A good Saturn emulator would be nice, since I've tried Satourne and SSF and neither one is any good.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 12 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Well it's about frigging time. My Saturn has an incredibly hard time reading discs. I have to tip it back almost vertically to read anything and that's causing the A/V cable to bend and flex excessively. Haven't played any of my Saturn games in years.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've been thinking about getting a Dreamcast for a while now.
I know these games are available on PC, but I really want to play Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Kiss Psycho Circus, and MDK 2, as well as the fucking amazing Dynamite Cop (okay not Dynamite Cop, which is Dynamite Deka 2, I'm thinking of Dynamite Deka 1, AKA Die Hard Arcade, but that was Sega Saturn).

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 12 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I have Unreal Tournament for the Dreamcast. I only ever got the tutorial world to work, though. Disc must be just that damaged.

When Person of Color see this Youtube clip a/b the Sega Saturn being cracked. He's gonna be like...

:P

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 13 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I think they could have squeezed a few more CPUs in there. They didn't have a CPU to control AC power input and a CPU to control the CPU that controls the drive and a CPU to control these CPUs and a CPU to control this CPU.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Dreamcast was a great console. I loved it. Sonic Adventure, Resident Evil : Code Veronica, Shenmue, Carrier, House of the Dead 2, Blue Stinger, Omikron : The Nomad Soul, Quake III, and Seaman.

Had a Sega Saturn for a brief time. Didn't care for it. The library of games was just shitty. Inferior ports of other games, and just... No.

I have one of the small ass model 3 Genesis which incredibly light and weak. ... VECTORMAN, bitches!

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostDustFalcon85, on 12 July 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

I'll be starting off by posting this Youtube clip a/b 20 years later. The Sega Saturn has been finally cracked. Expect very accurate Sega Saturn emulators in the future!

I was ecstatic when I heard about this, but don't expect perfect Saturn emulation within your lifetime. The system is too convoluted, ass backward, and MacGrubered to emulate properly. Even some Yu Suzuki games were getting a few extra thousand polys by calculating certain things on the SCU DSP - an unused DSP on the chipset. Pants on head retarded.

Cracking what may quite possibly by the most notorious copy protection ever is awesome, but it's not going to help emulators at all.

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 July 2016 - 05:56 PM, said:

I've been thinking about getting a Dreamcast for a while now.
I know these games are available on PC, but I really want to play Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Kiss Psycho Circus, and MDK 2, as well as the fucking amazing Dynamite Cop (okay not Dynamite Cop, which is Dynamite Deka 2, I'm thinking of Dynamite Deka 1, AKA Die Hard Arcade, but that was Sega Saturn).

Dude, fuck the PC ports. Dreamcast has the one of the greatest exclusive lineups, ever. 18 months on the market and it did more than most systems did in five years. Why waste your time with PC ports?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 13 July 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

I think they could have squeezed a few more CPUs in there. They didn't have a CPU to control AC power input and a CPU to control the CPU that controls the drive and a CPU to control these CPUs and a CPU to control this CPU.

I laughed out loud reading that one.

The SH1 with the 256K buffer controlling the drive is pretty boss, though. Saturn has the shortest load times of any disc based system I've personally used.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 July 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

Dreamcast was a great console. I loved it. Sonic Adventure, Resident Evil : Code Veronica, Shenmue, Carrier, House of the Dead 2, Blue Stinger, Omikron : The Nomad Soul, Quake III, and Seaman.

Had a Sega Saturn for a brief time. Didn't care for it. The library of games was just shitty. Inferior ports of other games, and just... No.

I have one of the small ass model 3 Genesis which incredibly light and weak. ... VECTORMAN, bitches!

The Saturn is my fourth favorite system ever. Only Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, and Genesis can beat it.

Go for the 2D titles, and the Jap stuff. Grab an Action Replay 4M Plus and enjoy all the slant eyed games you want, especially the Capcom arcade ports that required a RAM cartridge.

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter is the most beautiful looking game ever made. The Crysis of 2D. The Saturn is a phenomenal machine that's best suited for elitists, which is weird since the Saturn community is full of the nicest gamers I have ever encountered.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

The Dreamcast version of Quake 3 is the same as the PC version except the graphics are crap resolution and it uses a set of maps that was also released for PC which you can get here: https://lvlworld.com/review/id:999

Most are just slight variations on the original Q3 and TA maps.

There's also a port of Half-Life to Dreamcast that was basically finished but never released, but you can find an ISO for it I'm sure.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 14 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

End of SEGA is a sad tale. Really kickass systems but saturn was kinda done at the wrong time when consumer 3D was still very immature and nobody really knew which was going to be the best and cheapest way to do it.
Saturn sorta makes sense, SEGA was really big in to spritezoomers and saturn 3D hardware is super good for that kind of stuff. A lot of the geometry can also be broken in to square shapes, too bad that optimizations and texture mapping make this really inefficient as it becomes harder to chop stuff that's not seen. Not a very practical system for 3D when it comes to development chains.

Dreamcast, too late unfortunately.. PSX offered pretty much what megadrive did for system16, arcade quality 3D and unlike N64 that was engineered to have good rendering quality, PSX took just enough shortcuts to gain a huge lead.
I was drinking with a former dev once and the devkit for psx was out of this world for back then. Picks were from jaguar which was more like a mess of wires and a barely working system, Saturn was decent but PSX was really well documented and tools were really good.
Anyway, judging from that.. even though SEGA did what they could with saturn, hype for PS2 kinda killed DC and was an easier jump for consumers/devs. Too bad since DC was really turning things around again.

Oh well... At least the legacy still lives on and the library has so many timeless classics that really reflect the golden years.

That Saturn vid makes me happy, so many games I wanna play on a real system and I hate messing with optical medium.

• The Sarien Encounter

Dreamcast too late??? More like way too early. It was so far ahead of its time.

It was of it's time. Sega sabotaged it when it was the first console of it's generation and could have held it's own against the PS2 but once again Sega fumbled with marketing it. Sega has a terrible history of sabotaging themselves -- announce a new console while the current one is still viable so that all the devs hold off to develop for the new console and potential customers hold off on buying a console knowing another is on the way. They did this more than once which calls into question their ability to learn from mistakes. A lot of good Japanese Saturn releases did not get a release in the west that would have boosted the console because Sega of America was convinced that they wouldn't be interested in such games. All the goofy add-ons to the Genesis/Megadrive, the plans for the Neptune all overshadowed by the Saturn being announced when it was. Things could have turned out very differently for Sega consoles had they properly supported their platforms rather than killing each one off early. What else was great... The Saturn's jewel cases which were incredibly fragile because of the brittle plastic used and the size and thinness of the tabs holding the front cover on. I think most of my Saturn games have at least 1 tab broken off.

User is offline   leilei 

The Saturn games the west didn't get are still relatively niche and wouldn't have altered the system's fate anyway had they actually come out.

also pfft xmvssf. vsav is where its at, though console ports of 2d fighters are more of a survival-of-the-sprite-frames and barebones-or-not matter

Those contortionist-like "ports" the saturn got of a few 3d games are an interesting thing in itself

The dreamcast however... I never liked its controller design and the PVR2 gpu is way too overstated for what it actually is and can do (the real muscle is the CPU and all the assembly craziness done for it)

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 July 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

Dreamcast too late??? More like way too early. It was so far ahead of its time.

It was too late to fix the damage that saturn caused, PSX filled that hole.
We're still talking about 3-4 solid years where Sony managed to gain a lead.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 July 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

There's also a port of Half-Life to Dreamcast that was basically finished but never released, but you can find an ISO for it I'm sure.

http://www.moddb.com...-life-dreamcast

Yeah, accuracy of that mod to actual port is other story. But you know, I would still rather play the PC version instead...even the PS2 version seems greats than PC on some points, like the new models.

Damn, I'm glad Gearbox never can be controlled those HL related games anymore for some reasons... :P

Apparently the Dreamcast models are higher poly than even the HD pack models for the PC version.

• The Sarien Encounter

What? They certainly don't look it.

SEGA corner + Duke Nukem forum and no one dropped the bomb already.

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember trying to get the web browser to work on my brother's Dreamcast and failing miserably. Still don't understand how it was supposed to work.

View PostFantinaikos, on 15 July 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

SEGA corner + Duke Nukem forum and no one dropped the bomb already.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XpIPWeqTLJY

What is this crap? Also why is Duke Nukem doing the voice over?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Illbleed is pretty good, one of the better horror themed games on any Sega platform.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 15 July 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

http://www.moddb.com...-life-dreamcast

Yeah, accuracy of that mod to actual port is other story.

The gameplay, levels, models, textures, and animations of my HL:DC mod are effectively near 100% accurate. The PC version of Half-Life can read the original Dreamcast bsp files just fine, and I ensured that I was meticulous when porting over all of the DC models properly. The only major aspects that weren't ported over were the menu (impossible to recreate in any version of Half-Life) and the few code changes pertaining to the view roll/tilt and extra HUD icon, something which I didn't have the knowledge to do at the time.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 15 July 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

What is this crap?

NO :P

Also why is Duke Nukem doing the voice over?

John St. lent his voice to the trailer, I don't remember he voiced any character in the game later. The voice acting in the game itself is very 90's Resident Evil games style.

Kind way to say hammy.

Illbleed is pretty good, one of the better horror themed games on any Sega platform.

Scary and weird at the same time as well as full of SEGA and western stuff citations. The grimdark reinterpretation of Toy Story is one of the most WTF sections.

It is not a game exempt from defects however, to know more:
http://www.hardcoreg...ed/illbleed.htm

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 15 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

View Postleilei, on 14 July 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

The dreamcast however... I never liked its controller design and the PVR2 gpu is way too overstated for what it actually is and can do (the real muscle is the CPU and all the assembly craziness done for it)

In what way the the PowerVR overrated?

I love Dreamcast, had the best d-pad ever for me. So much fun playing lots of great fighting games with friends on that. Good times!

I also had a Genesis as a lad! Sonic is awesome.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Too bad this company is still run by absolute incompetent idiots. I'm surprised they still make good games though. Except Sonic of course, but this might change because they delayed anniversary game.

If only they had better management, Dreamcast was great thing and it could easily kill PS2. Even Saturn had potential.

Segagaga aka when SEGA was capable of parodying himself instead of being a real joke.

Translation project (apparently abandoned)
http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

1:14 to 1:20 is my favorite part of that. Maybe it would be different if the dialogue were subbed or dubbed.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 16 July 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

I love Dreamcast, had the best d-pad ever for me. So much fun playing lots of great fighting games with friends on that. Good times!

I also had a Genesis as a lad! Sonic is awesome.

Ewww. Dreamcast D-Pad? I think you've got this shit confused with the Saturn, which had the greatest D-Pad ever.

View PostSledgehammer, on 17 July 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Too bad this company is still run by absolute incompetent idiots. I'm surprised they still make good games though. Except Sonic of course, but this might change because they delayed anniversary game.

If only they had better management, Dreamcast was great thing and it could easily kill PS2. Even Saturn had potential.

Yeah, I'm currently rebeating Sonic Generations for the third time and it's remarkable how they immediately went back on every good design decision. They were so close. You can skip 95% of the character cancer but 5% is still too much. The later stages also look too Japanese and cute, as does classic Sonic.

Oh, and the boss battles are a fucking joke. So easy.

But overall the game is still pretty great. I give it a VERY solid 8.5, with the gameplay receiving a 9.5 for classic stages and 8.75 for modern stages.

View PostFantinaikos, on 17 July 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Segagaga aka when SEGA was capable of parodying himself instead of being a real joke.

Translation project (apparently abandoned)
http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

View PostHendricks266, on 17 July 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

1:14 to 1:20 is my favorite part of that. Maybe it would be different if the dialogue were subbed or dubbed.

Fuckin' nerds.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 17 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options