Duke4.net Forums: Modern Shadow Warrior editing and TC's? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modern Shadow Warrior editing and TC's?

User is offline   Marscaleb 

I don't know if I would actually follow through with this, but I was thinking about it, and might as well at least find out what is out there.

I've recent started back down the path of editing levels with build, and now I'm toying with the idea of making a full-blown TC. Like I always dreamed of doing back in the day.

As I think about it though, I would probably want to start with Shadow Warrior instead of Duke3D, because SW had features like room-over-room, and that "wave" SE.
So my next question is, what options are there today for doing some hard-core modding of Shadow Warrior? Duke has eDuke32, but is there something like that for Shadow Warrior? (I don't know if I have ever seen anything more advanced than JFShadow Warrior, which doesn't even run on my modern computer.) And that's just for a modern engine. What about modern editing? SW, as I recall, wasn't as user-friendly for that kind of stuff, and it was really challenging for people to do things like changing the weapons. Has someone made a port or such thing that opens up the weapons for easy editing? I would assume Mapster32 is compatible with SW; am I wrong about that?

User is offline   Hank 

Here is the link to the Shadow Warrior Corner
https://forums.duke4...warrior-corner/
this should get you started, until those more familiar with SW editing come along.

User is offline   Mark 

You can create most of your geometry in Mapster32 and use the older Build from SW to place the SW specific effects.

User is offline   Marscaleb 

View PostMark., on 12 July 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

You can create most of your geometry in Mapster32 and use the older Build from SW to place the SW specific effects.

Well that sounds uselessly annoying.
If I am running Mapster32, shouldn't I be able to just use whatever art files are in the directory? Ideally if I've put in sw's grp file (or art files and palette and etc) shouldn't it work just the same? I mean, the editor doesn't care what tile any sprite is using.

User is offline   Mark 

Yes, you can do that. I mean when it comes time to put in the sound and sector effectors unique to SW that you have to use Build.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not sure if you're aware but the only way to mod SW is to edit the source code, which technically gives you greater control than con scripting. But what's wrong with eduke's TROR feature compared to ROR?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

SWPbuild is as modern of an editor that we have, it's got a few bugs but it works.
Once you know how to map.. do you really need something newer?
Replacing weapons is pretty much done the old fashioned way by replacing the art tiles and sounds.

View PostMicky C, on 13 July 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

The only way to mod SW is to edit the source code.

I've been doing a lot of shadow warrior game side coding to hook things up into PolymerNG; and I love it. The code base is not the messiest thing I've seen, and for me its a lot easier to iterate and debug on then con coding. PolymerNG uses EDuke32, so right now its the most advanced Shadow Warrior engine that exists at the moment. It's not developed enough yet for you to make a game off of; but the next one level demo will be a Shadow Warrior test you might consider PolymerNG in the future for your development needs. If you want to make shadow warrior mods however PolymerNG is at a state were you can do that in the next release.

I'm just using SWPBuild and it does everything I need it to.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 13 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

• Honored Donor

I'm surprised how quickly Shadow Warrior seems to have been added to eduke32.

The shadow warrior code in the main branch doesnt work; I got Shadow Warrior into the PolymerNG branch in a couple of days. I dont know what Hendricks plan is for Shadow Warrior in main; wether he will take my code or get his stuff working.

• Honored Donor

When all is said and done, Devolver might want to release a Shadow Warrior Redux: Redux Posted Image

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Shadow Warrior in EDuke32? Sign me up, I've been waiting for that for ages. JFSW is old and SWP is flat-out broken.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options