Duke4.net Forums: Iron Curtain is BACK! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Iron Curtain is BACK!  "or how we lost our freedom in Russia"

User is offline   Sanek 

Good morning, evening or nignt.
Usually I try to stay from a discussions about politics as much as possible, but I just can't right now.
When we talk about the state of law or constitution in Russia, I think it's safe to say that there's no law in Russia at all. People don't know their rights. The ones who actually knows what they can (or can't) do don't get much from it, because representatives of the government don't know the law either, or they don't use it in their daily practice.
But now we have a law that not just working against the people, but actually allow the goverment to control every aspect of our lives.

On Friday, June 24, Russia's State Duma approved a final draft of several anti-terrorist laws spearheaded by deputy Irina Yarovaya. Though lawmakers removed many of the legislation's most odious amendments at the last minute, the bill still revises dozens of existing laws in ways that could have profound consequences for people living in Russia. (click on the text to read the complete article).

You can read the full list, but the most draconian laws are these:

1. The failure to report a crime will become a criminal offense. Russians will be required to inform the authorities about anything they know regarding preparations for terrorist attacks, armed rebellions, and several other kinds of crimes on a list that has more than half a dozen different offenses. Anyone who doesn't faces up to a year in prison.

2. Justifying terrorism on social media. Publishing online incitements to terrorism, or even expressing approval of terrorism on the Internet, will be regarded legally as publishing such comments in the mass media, subjecting individuals to the same strict penalties now imposed on media outlets. The maximum punishment for publicly inciting or justifying terrorism is seven years in prison.

A couple of month ago, there was an incident when a man was sentenced to 2 years in prison for social network repost. It means that you need to watch every message, like or repost you make from now on.

3. From now own, police will have access to your telephone, SMS and social network records. Now companies like Megafon, Beeline, and MTS will have to store records of all calls and text messages exchanged between customers for a period of six months. And for three years, the companies will need to keep the metadata on all calls and text messages.

Besides these laws, you can also get yourself in prison for inducing people to join mass unrest or your missionary work. Oh, also the legislation will obligate “postal operators” (Russia's official postal service and all private postal companies) to monitor that they aren't shipping anything illegal. I don't care about religion, but I hate the fact that from now on, the postal service have a legal right to open every product that I will purchase on Amazon, eBay and other services.

Of course, some of you can say that you don't need to worry if you don't break the law, but these law is not working against terrorists, it's working against us. If the authorities will need to plug some person (no matter what he commit) - they are perfectly legal, without judgments, without delay, will gain access to his personal data, and all that they find there (even the occasional shift at some questionable site on the banner or torrent tracker for example) it will be used against him.

AND THIS IS ACTUALLY NOT ALL!!

There's actually something much worse than Yarovaya Laws is happening in Russia! Something that made the Yarovaya package look like “innocent” child’s play in comparison. It's called “A prophylactic system against legal violations”, which allows the authorities to limit the rights and freedoms of citizens not by the decisions of the courts but only because of official suspicions that “their actions and expressions do not correspond to ‘generally accepted norms of behavior in society.” It specifies that people can be punished if they “simply conduct themselves not as ‘it is accepted’ in Russian society today. Thus, they can be subject to punishment even though they are not in violation of any law and not judged by a court.

As you can see, living in Russia is a hard job. But these laws makes me downright SCARY that I live in such a country today!

This post has been edited by Sanek: 30 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

source: meduza . io

Russian news from "British Indian Ocean Territory" (it's a military base/country)

Did I hear correct that Ukraine has violated the Minsk treaty, and lost some "mechanical" troops?

added;
Going over that list I think most of it was covered by Canada's Anti-Terrorism Act, Bill C-51 here, it looks to me as if Putin is well within the bounds of UN sanctioned surveillance, they cut the part about revoking citizenships which imo would have been very extreme laws.

This post has been edited by Drek: 30 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like what Donald trump wants to do in the US.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Sanek posted his message and displeasure here. He is now officially on "their" list.

View Posticecoldduke, on 30 June 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Sounds like what Donald trump wants to do in the US.

It already exists, it's called the Patriot Act.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostForge, on 30 June 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Sanek posted his message and displeasure here. He is now officially on "their" list.

Well, it seems that they need to catch half of the country that way. :P
*looking for Stalin just around the corner

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSanek, on 30 June 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

As you can see, living in Russia is a hard job. But these laws makes me downright SCARY that I live in such a country today!

As Drek wrote, Canada is in the same boat, and years ahead of Russia.
You are not allowed speak your mind, unless your mind concurs with the Politcal Correct agenda. Failing to do so can land you in jail, and expose you to legalized torture, all in the name of national/international security.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

In the United States they can haul you away to guantanamo bay on "suspicion", without benefit of trial, or being legally charged of any crime

View PostForge, on 30 June 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

In the United States they can haul you away to guantanamo bay on "suspicion", without benefit of trial, or being legally charged of any crime

Yup https://en.wikipedia...iscal_Year_2012

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options