Duke4.net Forums: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  "for Wii U and NX"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

^Yep, in my case I walked to the other side of the island and came back and the orb did not reset for some reason. It only reset after about ten minutes had passed. But I guess this kind of stuff is the tradeoff that we have to put up with in a game that allows you to break it in so many ways with such a robust physics engine.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's unfortunate in my opinion that the master sword is not needed to complete the game. I feel that this undermines part of the story the game is telling. We are often reminded that Link is very special because he can wield the legendary sword, but then it turns out that the sword doesn't actually matter. Also, it means that the most popular speedrun category (any %) is extremely boring, since runners can go straight to Gannon. It would be vastly more interesting if they had to get all the necessary heart containers for wielding the master sword -- with all of the different routes through different shrines and dungeons possible and all of the optimizations that would be discovered, this could have provided years of entertainment. As it is, most runners won't bother with the master sword category.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Just the pains of being a truly open world game. To me, the fun of a game isn't measured by how fun the speedruns are. I could care less about speedruns. Just pretend the Master Sword and four Divine Beasts ARE important. No skin off my back.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 April 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

Just the pains of being a truly open world game. To me, the fun of a game isn't measured by how fun the speedruns are. I could care less about speedruns. Just pretend the Master Sword and four Divine Beasts ARE important. No skin off my back.

Obviously I do like the game a lot, that doesn't mean it's perfect though. Open world doesn't mean anything goes. It's because I enjoy and respect speedrunning that I wish they had added a master sword requirement -- it would make things more interesting to me as a spectator. That is all.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's just another kind of exploration reward to increase the ease of interacting with the world (including fighting enemies).

• The Sarien Encounter

I ordered NFC tag stickers and designed up these cards and printed them on cardstock at my work. They're really handy to carry around in my Switch case. More than the amiibo figurines would. Plus they don't cost an arm and a leg to hunt for and buy. On the backsides it lists all the exclusive and otherwise items you get when scanning them into Breath of the Wild. I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Made some more.

Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Didn't realize that was possible.

• The Sarien Encounter

You can acquire bin files of any amiibo and imprint blank NFC chips with your Android phone. It's marvelous.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I got the first DLC, played the game on "master mode", and beat it. In my master mode run I acquired the 4 divine beast powers, got most of the shrines and the master sword. I did not get far in the trial of the sword -- I'll do that on normal difficulty.

My impression? I enjoyed playing master mode, and the added difficulty gave me more motivation to hunt for better items and upgrades, which ultimately was more fun. Despite this, I was still disappointed in the lazy approach that Nintendo took to adding difficulty. Enemies have much more health and do much more damage, and they heal. The one feature they added which actually took some effort was the addition of enemies on floating platforms, which is pretty cool.

The results of giving enemies more hp/damage/healing vary wildly depending on the situation. At the beginning of the game, it can feel like you are forced to avoid combat, since enemies take so little damage from the weapons available to you and can one-hit you. This isn't all bad, since the player has a variety of options for dealing with enemies. The deku leaf is a very valuable tool since it can push enemies away regardless of their level and can knock enemies off cliffs into water which is an insta-kill in most cases. By late game, you can kill most enemies with several hits of your best weapon, but even then there are non-bosses who take a ridiculous number of hits to kill, to the point where it feels silly. Silly, but not really unfair, because the player has access to plenty of resources.

I didn't find many of the new DLC items, and probably won't go back for them now. Looking forward to DLC 2.

• The Sarien Encounter

Really cool glitch to disable cel-shaded shader

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

So. A new trailer dropped yesterday for tears of the kingdom. And in lieu of this being too specific for the Nintendo general thread, there not being a proper Zelda thread and Tears of the Kingdom technically being a direct sequel of Breath of the Wild I decided to necro the thread and post the latest trailer of TotK

So what are your thoughts on it folks? Are you excited? It certainly seems that there is a lot more content on this than on base Breath of the Wild and while the overworld map seems to be the same as the original there seems to be a hell of a lot more structures, mobs, dungeons and potentially returning bosses from other games.

With that in mind it seems that lore wise a lot of the new structures, the
Spoiler
and other stuff have the characteristic motif of the Zonai tribe that was a precursor to the Hylian Kingdom in Breath of the Wild? Do you have any predictions of how the game story will develop.

For reference here is also the first trailer of TotK:

This post has been edited by jkas789: 09 February 2023 - 10:18 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options