Duke4.net Forums: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  "for Wii U and NX"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally got my Wii U copy of BotW today. Spent hours on it and still only JUST finished the opening area (which I haven't even really fully explored). There is so much to this game and I have not even begun to think about maybe pursuing scratching the surface of the the process of scratching the surface of what this game has to offer. But even though the formula has turned a little on its head (finally!), it still feels like a Zelda game and I am enjoying myself immensely. And then at the same time it gave me a very TES vibe where I've been sent on a quest and then along my paths I see things happen or interesting locations that I want to explore and look at and it takes me on these little rabbit holes of fun adventure before I go back to the main quest.

The combat definitely requires a little more care and forethought. You will die A LOT in the beginning. But you don't really lose anything for dying and start back in the same place you died at. The Shrine "dungeon" areas are full of thought provoking puzzles that remind me of Portal or The Talos Principle. They've been fairly easy so far, but I've heard reports that it gets REALLY brain-teasery and really forces you to think as you go on which is right up my alley!

I can't wait until my Switch Special Edition version comes in tomorrow (if all goes well). I don't have a switch, but I can't wait to have those feelies...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Holy shit this game.

Btw, to anyone that plays it: The answer to "can I?" is nearly always "yes" in this game. Any tool you have at your disposal is basically always at your disposal, and everything reacts to the various game "systems". There is no right or wrong way to do something and no "cheating".

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Ended up getting a Switch and this just last week and I've played this just about every other day, but unfortunately, I am not having a good time with this game at all. The game for me is a huge exercise in patience, and with how my personal time is dwindling more and more, I have none.

I really like certain parts of it; I like the, for lack of a better word, sort of Shadow of Colossus/Ico style and scale and climbing, I'm enjoying just running around the open world and screwing with stuff or combining ingredients to cook some shit, but I'm not digging breakable weapons, trying to traverse the environment, figuring that I can just barely glide over to this faraway mountain, grab the side, and climb the rest, but uh oh, new seemingly random rule is applied, it's raining so you are constantly slipping down the mountain and so now you ran out of stamina and you just dropped all the way down to the bottom which has a 2 foot deep lake but you instantly drown because you are out of stamina! Okay, you finally got to this dungeon, now use the motion controls to solve a puzzle with a fixed camera view that is counter intuitive to solving the puzzle!

I want to like this game, but I just can't.

Snipperclips is rad as fuck, though, and I'm hyped to finally play Mario Kart 8

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 24 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

Motion controls are optional and can be turned off, though. At least on the Wii U version.

For stuff like aiming with a bow, yes you can turn off motion controls; not so for certain motion control puzzles, however.
The puzzle in particular involved moving a giant ball through a maze which has gaps between walls so the ball could fall off and you have to restart, and the very last bit is you have to kind of roll the ball down this long straight path and then at the last second flick the whole board up so the ball gets launched and lands down a path that unlocks the door to the end of the dungeon. This is where the static camera ruined it as the perspective was such you couldn't see if the end of the puzzle was lined up with the pathway or not.
Funnily enough, I took the joycons off the Switch, and was able to turn them upside so the whole entire puzzle board was upside down. When the ball respawns, I now have a giant flat board to just catapult it into the pathway.
I'm impressed the game let me do that.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 24 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

• Evil Overlord

The dungeon you are talking about with motion controls you can actually cheat and just flip the whole thing over, or rotate so you're on the last part of the track, or a bunch of other methods...

Thing is, all of the rules in the game are systemic and beyond that there really are no rules. I cheese puzzles all of the time because they actually programmed it so there is no right way. "Oh complicated torch lighting puzzle? Fuck it, fire arrow time!"

Weapon breakage is related both to the quality of the weapon and the material the weapon is hitting. Clubs and hammers and such are better for hitting bone (and rock) than swords, and nothing should ever be hitting a shield, etc etc. As you progress in the game you find better and better weapons in very high abundance. Also mild spoiler there is a way to increase the number of slots in your inventory.

You can also upgrade hearts and stamina. One thing is the game really doesn't do much if any hand holding at all, it's up to you to figure things out as you go and explore.

• The Sarien Encounter

I got my Switch. Love it. The JoyCons are smaller than I expected, but my hands aren't too cramped playing with it...took some getting used to, though. Some people probably would have difficulty with it. To those people I'd say get the Pro Controller for sure. Other than that, I've had no JoyCon sync issues, not screen scratch issues (but I've been careful, and I even intend on getting a tempered glass screen protector soon), and I'm not unimpressed with the function and stability of the dock. I'm happy.

But I AM feeling the pain of only having one game for the system. I've been playing on the Wii U all this time for BotW and I obviously can't continue my progress on the Switch so I have to start over. Feels good in my hands, though, and I love playing it on my break at work. Got a long trip this July to Texas to visit some family. I'll be taking it along. I'm going to be getting some money tomorrow and I'll be picking up Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ right away. I also want to pick up Shakedown: Hawaii (VBlank's "sequel" to Retro City Rampage) and Skyrim when they come along. Not interested in Mario at all...

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I love the game and his improvements, just that the fights are too frustrating and should have had more assistance, as well as some puzzles are not really fun/logical...

My top 3 of the Zelda games is : A link to the past, a link between worlds and Twillight Princess (make me think this one was the best of the reallistic Zelda at every points of view) !

• The Sarien Encounter

Totally agree about Twilight Princess. It's still my favourite in the series. Love the realism and natural progression of the large overworld approach that Wind Waker and Skyward Sword both totally ignored. Many people call it "Ocarina of Time 2" for many reasons I think due to their belief that OOT started many of the conventions that Twilight Princess followed more closely (like a large overworld) when in fact those conventions were started long before OOT. It's just using the Zelda formula, in my opinion. WW and SS would have been the same had they had a full overworld and not a mostly empty hub world instead that takes you to various smaller areas.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postgemeaux333, on 29 March 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

My top 3 of the Zelda games is : A link to the past, a link between worlds and Twillight Princess (make me think this one was the best of the reallistic Zelda at every points of view) !

I agree with your list, but I have not played BotW yet so I'm keeping an open mind. Also, I would give Minnish Cap an honorable mention.

• The Sarien Encounter

My top 5 definitely include Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Ocarina of TIme, and Breath of the Wild. The top spot is reserved for Twilight Princess.

A Link Between World is a sequel to A Link To The Pase and reprise all it's gameplay elements, contents and graphic (in 3D this time), its basically a low risk entreprise but successfull in this case !

Brought the Switch over to some friends house to mess around; one of them knows quite a bit about Zelda, so he was comparing stuff/mentioning things while he played BotW.

Watching him play and another friend play differently from how I played made me start warming up to it. There's still some frustration to be had but I think I need to just spend some time fucking around not caring about breaking weapons and ease off trying to do shrines and just explore the world itself.

• The Sarien Encounter

The game definitely encourages exploration and doing things your own way.

• Evil Overlord

Performance patch released today (on both platforms). Supposedly fixes up Wii U performance except in a couple of heavy areas you still get drops, and basically no more drops on Switch except in one area (where it apparently will pick right back up again after a couple ms). I haven't had a chance to test myself however, this is second hand information. So if performance was bugging anyone this is a good patch to download.

• The Sarien Encounter

Dang. I can't get the update for my Wii U because it's hacked. I'm thinking of just abandoning my game on the Wii U altogether and starting over on the Switch.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've been playing on Wii U sporadically for a week now (completed one divine beast, but it feels like I'm only about 15% into the game). It's a good game.

update requests:

When Link's weapon breaks, instead of staying empty handed until you open the menu, he should automatically switch to the most similar weapon in his inventory. Or at least that should be an option.
Bow durability needs to be increased by at least 50%. Make them drop less often if that's needed for balance. I understand that hitting things with your weapons will break them, but it makes no sense to have bows breaking almost as quickly just from firing them.
There should be an in-game recipe book that you fill in every time you discover a recipe.

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think a recipe book is necessary. There are way too many recipes to catalogue. I think the cooking system is so varied and easy to use that everything you can make is pretty obvious simply based on the descriptions of the ingredients. I've made ever dish I need and I don't really remember the ingredients to any of them (besides the spicy meat & seafood fry). It really makes you feel like a pro chef in the way that you don't memorize every recipe but yoy just instinctly know the effects of each ingredient and throw it together however you feel is best after lengthy experiments. I really like the system as is. The cooking is as "open world" as the rest of the game.

The recipy book should only contain the recipies you find through the game by different ways (quests and "horse stops")

I found out that Hinox and Lynel, beside their comeback, have never been so deadly !

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 April 2017 - 04:15 AM, said:

I really like the system as is. The cooking is as "open world" as the rest of the game.

It's ok, but the problem I'm having is that I will put in an ingredient that is supposed to have a status effect, but then the result often doesn't have the effect, because I didn't combine it the right way, and I end up with a generic meal. It's not horrible, but I would rather know what the rules are. I have too much respect for the game to cheat and look online, though.

The other day I swiped in a few amibos and got some extra stuff -- I still feel dirty for it.

• The Sarien Encounter

That usually only happens when you combine two types of food with different effects. Like say combining an ingredient for strength with an ingredient for defense. They just kind of cancel each other out. If you combine two of the same type of ingredient it enhances its effect. If you combine two different ingredients but with the same effect it enhances it EVEN MORE. I find it very intuitive. A couple times I got confused for not getting what I expected but it turned out I was misreading the descriptions and taking them to mean the same thing when they were in fact different (ie- temporary stamina vs stamina refill) and also confusing elixer ingredients with dish ingredients which resulted in Dubious Food (which I think is hilarious lol).

I desperately want the amiibos that give you unique items like the tunics and weapons from other games. Not to mention Epona.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

• Evil Overlord

It's true.
You can only have a single status effect + healing per food item. Temporary hearts are considered a status effect, so don't think you can cheat the system!

Also you do NOT mix any monster parts with food items. Monster parts are for elixirs only. If you try to combine a monster part with a food item you will always get "dubious food".

Those are really the only rules to cooking (besides better quality ingredients give better results). The only other thing is that you will randomly get what I guess you could call a "critical cook" which enhances all the effects.

There's no recipe book but if you click on a cooked item in your inventory you can have the game show you what ingredients went into it.

On breakage:
Stronger bows break very infrequently. In fact that's generally the case with any weapon unless the flavor text describes it otherwise (or it's specifically a "rusty" version although those generally aren't strong).

• The Sarien Encounter

Apparently, you can "repair" rusted weapons by throwing them at octoroks. They will spit them back out good as new. I haven't tested it though.

That's the biggest thing I love about this game. There's so much Nintendo didn't explain so people are always discovering new things.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMblackwell, on 10 April 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

It's true.
You can only have a single status effect + healing per food item. Temporary hearts are considered a status effect, so don't think you can cheat the system!

Hmm, yeah, it may have been that I was trying to mix different status effects without even realizing it. I could have sworn there were some cases where only one of the ingredients had one, though.

On breakage:
Stronger bows break very infrequently. In fact that's generally the case with any weapon unless the flavor text describes it otherwise (or it's specifically a "rusty" version although those generally aren't strong).

That has definitely not been my experience, but then again, maybe I just haven't found any of the "stronger" equipment yet.

• Evil Overlord

You'll find bows that do around 30 damage or higher, and some bows that do closer to 15-20 but fire anywhere between 2 and 5 arrows each shot (at the cost of only one arrow). When it comes to swords and clubs and such you find Royal and Dragon Bone gear that does fairly high damage and lasts awhile if used correctly. Correctly means that you shouldn't beat your sword against rocks and bones for example. There's even certain types of weapons that aren't particularly durable (just about average) but will last you awhile anyway just because of how fast things die when used.

Also for all weapons and bows/arrows don't be afraid to exploit elemental weaknesses.

The game gives you better gear (and also spawns more powerful enemies) as you fight more and complete more shrines.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've played some more now, and I'm regularly finding bows that do damage in the 30 range and melee weapons that are in the 40-60 range, but I still insist that shit breaks way too fast. I'm not saying that the game is too hard -- there's plenty of equipment around, and I understand what they're trying to do. There would be less incentive to explore if equipment lasted a long time and you didn't need to replace it. The problem is that in a game that is realistic in many ways, the ridiculous rate at which things break stands out as a glaring and jarring exception to the realism. You can't tell me it makes sense for a huge metal hammer to shatter to dust because I hit enemies with it a few dozen times, but that's exactly what happens for me.

However, I do enjoy "roughing it" in this game, and it's something missing from most other sandbox games. One of the most enjoyable experiences I had recently was an island quest where I was deprived of all equipment and had to complete objectives on the island from scratch.

• Evil Overlord

I honestly rarely had my bows break after the initial round of weak bows. Not to say they never did but it was very irregular compared to the swords/hammers/etc. And my shields almost never broke, but then again I tried to get good at parrying and dodging. Seriously though I had more trouble with running low on arrows than bows breaking. Things like the Steel Lizal Bow and the Royal Bow last awhile, the Steel Lizal variant being relatively common if you're fighting Lizalfos. Lynels also have a decently durable bow with extremely high attack power (there are three variants) but they are hard to take down. The Knight's Bow is also pretty common (Moblins use it) and while not as deadly has a long durability.

The flavor text is usually helpful in discerning how long things will last as they tend to mention build quality.

My big durability complaint is actually that flurry rush consumes durability. At least that was a complaint until I had more durable weapons later game that could stand up to being bashed around.

• The Sarien Encounter

I have yet to get to that island sidequest. I keep hearing about how great it is...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 April 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

I have yet to get to that island sidequest. I keep hearing about how great it is...

It's great but it almost made me ragequit due to the combination of a couple of glitches, and the fact that you cannot save the game during the quest. Here's what happened...

Spoiler

• Evil Overlord

I had something similar happen where a
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options