Duke4.net Forums: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  "for Wii U and NX"

New Zelda game looks like it has potential to me, I'll be giving it a try in March. I have a Wii-U I got when they dropped the price, for Mario 3D World, which is a very solid platformer I'd say. Fav Zelda is Ocarina of Time myself.

I'm not a big fan of the motion control stuff or the gimmicks of the Switch, but I'll probably pick it up in a couple years after some price drops, gotta have that kooky new Mario Odyssey with him in New Dunk City etc.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm super excited about BOTW.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The Zelda game actually looks pretty decent and innovative when compared with the announced Mario Odyssey and Kart games -- those truly look like nothing but rehashes with slightly better graphics.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 13 January 2017 - 01:17 AM, said:

New Zelda game looks like it has potential to me, I'll be giving it a try in March. I have a Wii-U I got when they dropped the price, for Mario 3D World, which is a very solid platformer I'd say.

I thought BOTW was cancelled for the Wii U?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 January 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

I thought BOTW was cancelled for the Wii U?

It's still coming to Wii-U, the trailer from the Nintendo presentation yesterday/earlier today says Wii-U and Switch. Also the game sites have articles saying it's confirmed to come out the same day on both systems. So I'll be rocking the Wii-U version, since I won't need a Switch for a while.

Mario Odyssey does look fun to me though. Him doing his ninja wall kicks up huge buildings in an open city hub to connect the out there worlds looks like fun stuff, and I love Mario 64.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's 15 minutes of Switch gameplay. Shame that the console costs $470 in Aus ($550 for NZ LOL!). I might see if I can pick up a cheap Wii U to play it.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 January 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

The Zelda game actually looks pretty decent and innovative when compared with the announced Mario Odyssey and Kart games -- those truly look like nothing but rehashes with slightly better graphics.

Mario Odyssey is supposedly more of a return to Mario 64-like sandbox gameplay, so a large divergence from where it has been headed. Mario Kart though is a port of Mario Kart 8 with some new mechanics/characters/items/modes/etc. Still the same basic game that was already on Wii U.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMblackwell, on 15 January 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Mario Odyssey is supposedly more of a return to Mario 64-like sandbox gameplay, so a large divergence from where it has been headed. Mario Kart though is a port of Mario Kart 8 with some new mechanics/characters/items/modes/etc. Still the same basic game that was already on Wii U.

If Odyssey is a sandbox game, then that would be something new for the series -- none of the other games have been sandboxes, as I understand the term. The Galaxy games are no more less sandboxes than Mario 64 imo. Mario Kart 8 is a good game, but I can't get excited about playing another one unless the Switch controller is much better than the Wii U options.

• The Sarien Encounter

I wouldn't call Mario 64 a "sandbox game".

• Evil Overlord

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 January 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

If Odyssey is a sandbox game, then that would be something new for the series -- none of the other games have been sandboxes, as I understand the term. The Galaxy games are no more less sandboxes than Mario 64 imo. Mario Kart 8 is a good game, but I can't get excited about playing another one unless the Switch controller is much better than the Wii U options.

In Mario 64 there's a goal, sometimes with a puzzle but you find your own methods of getting there and can explore freely around the levels which are completely open, and even tackle challenges outside of what the game asked/expected you to do. Mario Sunshine was actually similar in that way (even moreso in some cases). In Galaxy there is one goal, one path, no exploration. This is even more the case in Galaxy 2. And then beyond that you have the 3D Land/World games which have even more simplified level layouts than the Galaxy games.

Edit: Reports are that the Switch Pro Controller is amazing, but obviously I can't verify that because I haven't used it! Supposedly the Joy-Con controllers are small yet weirdly comfortable and the fact that you can play in a relaxed position (arms anywhere) if you use them is appealing to me since that was one of the best things about the Wii controllers.

User is offline   Lunick 

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are the only 3D Mario games comparable to Odyssey
Posted Image

The switch announcement was a mixed bag for me, but nintendo always delivers on the software side of things in the end

Breath of the wild, super mario odyssey, and xenoblade 2 (fuck those character models) all look really exciting

More splatoon is good

Arms looks cool but idk if itll draw me in that much

Most likely not getting one at launch but ill definitely have one before the end of the year

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostSledgehammer, on 12 January 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

What the fuck happened to Zelda Princess? Who designed this shit?

Looks to me like an iteration on the Skyward Sword design of Zelda.

Having had personal experience with the kind of hardware the switch is running (NVidia Tegra X1), I'm excited for the hardware itself, as the X1 is no slouch, but it's also disappointing that they aren't going for the Tegra X2, which would have given the GPU more power than the XBox One in portable form.

As for the titles, I'm excited for Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey looks cool, but I'm not too excited about the rest except for maybe Shin Megami Tensei 5.

This post has been edited by Striker: 16 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

What makes me excited is that it has Vulkan support which might make Vulkan even more popular API. Well, unless Nintendo won't have third party support just like always, but it seems like they're getting fighting games and that is quite big step if you ask me.

It's still annoying that they going to charge for online play like the rest of the companies nowadays which is why I don't plan to get Switch, perhaps not even new Bayonetta game will make me to get one if they even fund one and make it Switch exclusive (Bayonetta 2 was a big reason why I've got Wii U, another reason was because consoles became even worse with Xbone and PS4). Though I'd play No More Heroes or maybe USF2 too.

User is offline   xenoxols 

What timeline do you think BOTW is in? Most of the evidence points to the downfall timeline, so that's probably what it is. It's worth noting that the temple of time was destroyed in a ALTTP with only the Master Sword pedestal still there, while it is in BOTW.

This post has been edited by xenoxols: 17 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yet the Master Sword is also in a forest too....also there are those Korok creatures from Wind Waker there who are apparently descendants of the Kokiri or something? It will be interesting to know what's what for sure.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's circle-talk for "we don't have time to finish everything so we're going to give you what we've got and charge you for the rest later." Yes, you heard that right. Zelda now has DLC.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

It went gold before they announced DLC.

• The Sarien Encounter

Sure it did.

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.idigitalt...h-launch-583099

The game has been in development for over 5 years, of course there is going to be cut content like almost every Zelda game before it. If you want to be mad at something, be mad that they're locking the Hard Mode behind DLC this time instead of including a Hero Mode.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not mad. Little upset, yes. Upset that there's DLC at all.

Nintendo has been good about dlc sofar from my experience, they put out a finished product and add the dlc later as a bonus (smash specifically comes to mind),so im not too worried on that front

Really it all depends on how much content is actually in the game and the pass and ill have to know more before i can say my full opinion, but for now it feels like people are overreacting a bit.

Dlc isnt a bad thing, bad business about dlcs are

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I can't wait to play this!
Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Fuck me sideways, BotW has been getting insanely good reviews. With MarioKart 8 port announced, I may have to get a Switch.

BTW, how does the cart taste?

• Evil Overlord

Don't do it. It's coated with Denatonium Benzoate. It will linger a looong time.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMblackwell, on 02 March 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Don't do it. It's coated with Denatonium Benzoate. It will linger a looong time.

You're no fun

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm getting it for Wii U but first chance I get I'm getting the Switch. I am so pumped for BotW. It's been getting consistent 10/10s across the board. I'm always skeptical until I try it myself, but with a Zelda game like this that's really changing up the formula finally and succeeding it seems like....I don't see how I can go wrong.

User is offline   petrus 

I'm waiting for this to be fully emulated in CEMU (a Wii U emulator), if it's really half as good as everyone says, I'd rather play it with a mouse at 60fps on my PC!

I don't mind the wait, it will take a while until all dlcs for it are released anyway, no plans to play before that happens...

• The Sarien Encounter

Last night I bought the Special Edition on EB Games for the Switch version (I checked again this morning and they're all sold out again now). I don't have a Switch but I wanted the extras badly and they don't have any special editions for the Wii U version. I'm getting it homebrew modded on my Wii U tomorrow for free anyway so I'll be able to play it. Eventually I'll get the Switch and buy the Wii U release as well. Gotta complete my collection. The Master Edition looked sweet with that huge Master Sword piece but really that's all that was extra over the Special Edition. It also comes with a 24-track CD which I'm really excited for. That music in the trailer was phenomenal! I am hyped and I never thought I would be.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Tried my hand at getting a Switch this morning; closest I got was a store selling out to the customer directly in front of me.
Funny thing is, I had to stop at a greenlight because someone decided they had the right of way to take their sweet time walking their dog across, and the customer that ended up in front of me got there just a few seconds before I did.
Oh well, thats the way she blows. Maybe they got a defective unit.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 05 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options