Duke4.net Forums: Custom 8-bit palettes. Possible? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom 8-bit palettes. Possible?  "Can you also make it work for DOS?"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is it possible to alter the default 8-bit palettes for classic Duke3D? Preferably in a way that also works in the original DOS port? I've been playing around with 8-bit art stuff lately and I wanted to experiment. I'm thinking something along the lines of exporting the default palettes and importing new ones based on the PAL format. Or maybe something that Deluxe Paint understands.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If you want it to work on the original DOS version, you can import a 16x16 PCX using Editart. For lookups, you can use OpenGL Build Touch.

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Sure, it's possible. Unfortunately there aren't (yet) any tools to make this an easy process, since if you change the basepalette, you need to make new shade and blend tables too.

View PostHendricks266, on 03 January 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

I started work on a new Build tool that lets you palettize images to a palette using our tilefromtexture algorithm, which produces the best results of any program I've ever used. Ideally I'd like to make Python bindings for it too, which could make life way easier for anyone who wants to experiment with funky blend tables.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm just thinking of something that can alter the PALETTE.DAT and LOOKUP.DAT files (I assume the various Pals in Duke3D are stored in LOOKUP.DAT as basic palette entries, correct?) to simply inject custom palettes that I've made separately. Nothing fancy for a 32-bit renderer or anything.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The shade and blend tables are vital for the 8-bit renderer to function.

Palswaps are not palettes in the same sense. They are 256-byte index mappings.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah, I see. I thought it just stored alternate palettes. Interesting.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostHendricks266, on 09 June 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Sure, it's possible. Unfortunately there aren't (yet) any tools to make this an easy process, since if you change the basepalette, you need to make new shade and blend tables too.

I assume making new shade and blend tables requires a sound understanding of the source code?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options