Duke4.net Forums: Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th  "Crytek-powered System Shock Reboot Developed by Arkane Austin"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

No they don't. That's why they couldn't give them to Arkane to finish off Prey 2.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm under the impression that the situation is that neither party can release anything that uses Human Head's Prey 2 content without the other's permission or something like that. So that Bethesda own it, but they can't finish and release it, and similarly HH can't do anything with it either.

Although it may just be that Arkane simply doesn't have any experience with the Id tech 4 engine, especially the heavily modified one that HH would have been using, and that the content would have been fairly outdated from a graphical perspective by the time they were able to do anything with it.

New trailer out. You can play as a female protagonist.

• Honored Donor

New trailer? It's exactly the same as the other one, with a different hand and voiceover.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well they'll get the PC people behind them and that'll drive the big name game journalists to give it some strong 9.5-10 out of 10s and it'll get GOTY yadda yadda yadda...

EDIT: By "PC" I meant "politically correct" not "personal computer". My bad for not clarifying that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 October 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

Well they'll get the PC people behind them and that'll drive the big name game journalists to give it some strong 9.5-10 out of 10s and it'll get GOTY yadda yadda yadda...

Still don't care this version whatever they do or it's GOTY or not.

• The Sarien Encounter

That was my point, hence the "yadda yadda yadda."

By PC people I meant "politically correct" not "personal computer."

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

New footage was shown at the game awards, this game looks good.
There will be a new gameplay video posted tonight on their website

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 01 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Arkane's b-team project will be gracing the January cover of Game Informer; releases Spring 2017. I wonder if Bethesda will put extra marketing muscle behind the title after Dishonored 2 flopped commercially?
Posted Image

Also, 9 minute gameplay: http://www.gameinfor...com/p/prey.aspx

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 01 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

Jim Sterling's a good guy. :mellow:

I'll forever miss the alien-flavored Blade Runner-esque Prey 2 I saw at E3 all those years ago. That's *my* Prey. #thegameawards

Comes out May 5 this year.
Real excited for it, and super surprised it isn't coming out November; that might mean Zenimax/Bethesda are announcing something at E3 to release this November instead?

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't get what's grabbing you about this game. What's the lure? Is it just the story?

It looks like a combination of Bioshock and Dishonored with a space backdrop (yes I know System Shock exists) with a sprinkle of Metroidvania-style progression; it helps it also slightly resembles the first person Xcom game before it became a third person cover shooter.
Bioshock being one of my favorite games and Dishonored being one I thoroughly enjoyed, this is just right up my alley and is hitting all the right notes.
I'm not expecting it to blow the face off the gaming industry or make up for Prey 2; I am expecting to have a pleasant experience through a competently made game though.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 25 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I think you're right that it's closer to Bioshock (even borrowing the art deco art style) than System Shock.

Shodan is not a villain which can be replicated easily, and despite their powers, the aliens in Prey look kind of bland (no striking Big Daddies but plenty of those blobs from the cancelled XCOM shooter).

Since mimics can be destroyed with a single swing of the wrench or a pistol shot, what is their appeal beyond a quick jump scare? They look like tiny, annoying enemies who have Corvo's possession ability for inanimate objects.

I don't think Arkane will suddenly discover how to tell a great story. They can create exceptional worlds but they simply fail to implement compelling narratives or characters. Regardless, System Shock 2 was an amazing game for more than just level design and Shodan. The desperate hunt for resources made enemies feel more threatening and added a valuable risk reward dynamic. They attempted this with Bioshock but that lack of resources only lasted for the first level. Afterwards, you had more resources than you knew what to do with.

• The Sarien Encounter

Hmm if it does have elements of Metroidvania that might actually interest me...

The Gameinformer article said IIRC that a good emount of the world is open from the start, areas are just inaccessible at first but you might use the glue gun to create a makeshift staircase up to a high up ledge, turning into a cup to get through small areas or finding the door codes, or various other powers that can help in traversal. I believe also it said something about areas could also change later on in the game (I believe hinted at with the first trailer where the character keeps waking up almost like groundhog day but things are slightly different)
From the sounds of it it's more open than Bioshock or Dishonored as well; I'm hoping everything comes together nicely and is pretty open-ended. I'll be disappointed if it ends up being linear or every playthrough devolves into having the exact same items and powers (kinda like how electrobolt, incinerate, and telekinesis in Bioshock 1 were pretty much all the plasmids you needed to beat the game and access all the hidden areas)

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 25 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I don't think Arkane will suddenly discover how to tell a great story. They can create exceptional worlds but they simply fail to implement compelling narratives or characters. Regardless, System Shock 2 was an amazing game for more than just level design and Shodan. The desperate hunt for resources made enemies feel more threatening and added a valuable risk reward dynamic. They attempted this with Bioshock but that lack of resources only lasted for the first level. Afterwards, you had more resources than you knew what to do with.

FWIW, Chris Avellone is helping write the story.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 25 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

New prey trailer

Morgans in game model doesnt look too great, kind of a shame, hes kinda handsome in all the pre rendered stuff

https://youtu.be/yZf6khoZQsc

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 26 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Error in video can't watch.

View PostHulkNukem, on 25 January 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

FWIW, Chris Avellone is helping write the story.

According to Game Informer, Chris Avellone's main role on Prey was basically just consulting, with a little bit of story work and some side quest contributions:

"But I know some people were wondering, because around E3, Chris Avellone Tweeted he was working on [Prey]. There's a lot of confusion about what exactly is going on with that. He just did a little bit of consulting apparently. Like they brought him in relatively early and the way they described it is that he patched up some possible theoretical loopholes in the storyline and then did a couple of side quests."

• Honored Donor

That trailer does make the game look interesting. Naturally I'll wait for it to come out and see what the reviews say, then probably wait for it to go on sale and add it to the list of games I'm too busy to play Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 25 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I don't think Arkane will suddenly discover how to tell a great story.

It would be foolish to expect great and deep plot in Bethesda/ZeniMax games though (Morrowing was the last their game which had complex writing), hence Avellone is just helping them. In fact, I was surprised at first that they decided to hire him.

I mean, we're talking about AAA studio and it's not a secret who is their target audience, these people don't need complex writing in games, especially in FPS game.

• The Sarien Encounter

What was so much more complex about Morrowind than Oblivion or Skyrim?

You mean the story, right, not in general?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 28 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

Impressions and Youtube vidoes of the first hour are now available

I'm not watching any of them because of spoilers, however

So now I've watched a bit of that 1 hour video and I must admit this looks a little bit like a let-down, at least compared to Arkane's previous work. Spraying foam on quadpod turds and then whacking them with a wrench isn't exactly my idea of fun combat, but lets see. It's only early in the game so who knows how it will open up.

Edit: I hope these aren't the final video settings.

Posted Image

According to PC Gamer, it suffered from technical issues on their own demo stations. Certainly doesn't bode well for the initial release. I'm expecting a rough launch like Dark Messiah, Dishonored 2, and Arx Fatalis (secret best Arkane game).

Technical difficulties

Prey is being developed on PCs and Arkane Studios is intent on releasing a fully-featured PC version, but in my hour of playtime it didn’t run like a dream. The framerate wasn’t consistent at all, objects clipped through walls regularly, I saw object and texture pop-in when opening doors on occasion—it wasn’t unplayable, just surprisingly rough and not up to the standards I’d expect from a retail release, yet. Keep in mind that this was an early build and that I couldn’t pinpoint the specs of the PC it was running on. There are still a few months to go, but skepticism is warranted after Dishonored 2’s shaky launch.

Colantonio knows the pressure is on. “The Dishonored 2 release came as a surprise to us. PC is difficult because there are so many configurations out there, and a new driver just came out, so it’s just a difficult thing. And we did underestimate a little bit, so this time we’re really aware of it,” he says. “That doesn’t mean we can guarantee there won’t be any problems, but we’ll do our best so that it’s pretty smooth.”

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 February 2017 - 01:17 AM

Gawd Dayum the music in this is fucking rad

• The Sarien Encounter

Dude. No kidding. I'm surprised. I might have to buy that soundtrack despite my feelings about Prey 2...

That kinda reminds me of Tron OST (the modern one).

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options