Duke4.net Forums: Duke games re-release on Duke's birthday (1st June)? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke games re-release on Duke's birthday (1st June)?

User is offline   funduke 

What do you think: Will Gearbox re-release the Duke-games, that have been taken away from Steam and GOG, on Duke's birthday, the 1st day of June?

And will there be changes?
I expect, for example, the addition of Gearbox-logos.

Greetings
Funduke

User is offline   Steve 64 

Gearbox is going to release Duke Nukem 3D later this year, I would like to see those other classics from ps1 and n64 but I guess they will never see the light of day. I think I will pick up the new version of Duke 3D when it comes out

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 21 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

There has been enough re-releases of Duke Nukem 3D. I'd rather they re-release Time To Kill and Zero Hour on PC, perhaps a HD remake of Manhattan Project?

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 21 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I expect to see nothing less than proper client server multiplayer from a AAA developer like Gearbox.

User is offline   Lunick 

You'll get a HD remake of Critical Ass and you're gonna be forced to like it

View PostLunick, on 21 May 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

You'll get a HD remake of Critical Ass and you're gonna be forced to like it

I can visualize the commercials already...

'This summer...it's time to take it up the ass...Gearbox Software presents: Duke Nukem Critical Mass featuring special guest Randolf Pitchfork as Duke Nukem.'

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 21 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I can't wait to see what new maps and art and sounds and things they're cooking up. I thought having Plug 'N' Pray from Total Meltdown listed as a 5th episode in the game would be neat because it had an ending cinematic done with the original meshes and everything.

View PostLunick, on 21 May 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

I'm stunned that Critical Mass on Nintendo DS actually looks worse than Time To Kill. It'd be interesting if the PSP version leaked one day as it actually looked alright...comparatively...

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postfunduke, on 21 May 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

What do you think: Will Gearbox re-release the Duke-games, that have been taken away from Steam and GOG, on Duke's birthday, the 1st day of June?

I only just realised but, where did you get June 1st from? The first Duke Nukem game came out on the 1st of July apparently

User is offline   funduke 

View PostLunick, on 22 May 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

I only just realised but, where did you get June 1st from? The first Duke Nukem game came out on the 1st of July apparently

Uh! :)

You are right! I confused the month with that of the release of DNF. Shame on me! Thank you for the correction. If they restart the duke-game-sales on his birthday, i'll have to wait another long month, to see the way how they do it. It just seems to be interesting to me, if the way how Gearbox publish them, might make them worthy to rebuy them.

Greetings
Funduke

I read what XMobileMux was talking about in the Doom thread, and instead of de-railing that thread; I figured I post about it here.

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

Gearbox is in for one hell of a shitstorm if it's true that they are gonna lock out modding of the only available version of Duke3D.

I really doubt they will lock out modding, you will probably be able to build maps and modify the con files. That being said, based on what I have heard thus far, I doubt they will release the source code for the re-release.

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

Yes, in that thread that was deleted, though even if Gearbox does go through with it I don't see how we'll be able to get the standard version of Duke3D without resorting to piracy, unless of course all community maps and TCs can be done through the Duke3D Shareware.

I highly doubt they won't include the dos version of the game. The question is will they release the original Duke3D.grp file, or will it be modified in some way. I suspect at the very least they will remove the 3dr logo.

All of this is speculation, but the real question is, even if they allowed modding, would you choose to make your mods with the re-release version or with eduke32?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 May 2016 - 05:20 AM

Whatever binary it ends up coming with won't matter when everyone will just play it with eDuke32. I can't see them putting tons of work into changing how the binary works and you'd end up seeing mods that recreated the same altered behavior if they didn't have the source. When D3BFG released modified IWADs, the source ports quickly added support for them. It would be the same thing here. It's kind of hard to prevent modding of a game that's already open-source with so much known about how it works and if they try to use a different file type with the game data it'll just get picked apart, user-made tools will appear, and it'll end up stuck inside whatever people want to use, GRP or ZIP. Basically it wouldn't be worth the effort for them to try and lock anything down when there's a bunch of people who would quickly pick it apart.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

What I saw on the home page said:

:D

View PostWhat was actually said, on 21 May 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

:)

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 23 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

Speaking of modified game data, here's something I've long found peculiar:

When Duke3d was originally released, it used the classic 3D Realms logo in the intro screens that everyone is familiar with:

Posted Image

But then with the Atomic Edition, they replaced it with a version of the logo that would never be seen anywhere else again:

Posted Image

I'm curious why they did this when even the Atomic Edition box used their normal logo.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 23 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

I'm not sure. I still prefer the normal logo, if only for nostalgia reasons.

Perhaps the original logo wasn't XTREME!!!! enough? The Atomic logo reminds me of the Quake 2 logo.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 23 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 23 May 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm curious why they did this when even the Atomic Edition box used their normal logo.

I'm curious about this as well, I always preferred the original logo.

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 23 May 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

I'm not sure. I still prefer the normal logo, if only for nostalgia reasons.

Perhaps the original logo wasn't XTREME!!!! enough? The Atomic logo reminds me of the Quake 2 logo.

The id logo really has been the same going all the way back to the first Quake. Wolfenstein 3D and earlier used the only version of their logo to not really have the same basic shape. With DOOM onward, it has always been a stylized overlapped lowercase id, originally in blue and yellow and then starting with Quake, with an etched-in-stone look that persists to this day (the stone is gone but the rough appearance from the stone in silhouette is still there.)

As for extreme, Shadow Warrior, a year later, used the classic 3D Realms logo.

Commander Keen era:
Posted Image

Up through Wolfenstein 3D:
Posted Image

DOOM era:
Posted Image

Quake onward:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 23 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postdeuxsonic, on 23 May 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

Speaking of modified game data, here's something I've long found peculiar:

When Duke3d was originally released, it used the classic 3D Realms logo in the intro screens that everyone is familiar with:

Posted Image

But then with the Atomic Edition, they replaced it with a version of the logo that would never be seen anywhere else again:

Posted Image

Wasn't it in Shadow Warrior too? I was sure it was. Guess I was wrong.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It was in the leaked SW beta.

It's less visually appealing I think, so I can see why it lasted such a short time, but it's interesting that they thought it was an improvement to begin with.

Shadow Warrior actually used a variation on what the original Duke3d release used, with a darker, rougher 'worn' appearance and the subtitle was dropped:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 23 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   pacman 

So this is why Duke Nukem 3d disappeared from Steam... but they are still updating the game aint them? I think I saw a new update not long ago.
I think they are cunts doing this. This was the only way to enjoy multiplayer coop with friends, now if someone doesn't own the game and want's to join, they can't play with us because they can't buy it, this is ridiculous. Maybe by 2075 we will have functional coop in eduke32, but even then, it is not as easy as doing it on Steam where everyone hangs around.

I wonder if 3D realms will ever get back the rights of Duke Nukem 3D and release a proper new Duke game, or maybe release an official new episode for Duke Nukem 3D for nostalgia's sake, im sure it would be a hit.

This post has been edited by pacman: 24 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

We've already known why all versions of Duke3D disappeared not only on Steam but GOG and anywhere else (XBLA, PS3, etc). Gearbox took over and had to put a stop to all revenue not going to them. We've always known it was coming back, we just don't know exactly in what form.

No, I do not believe 3DR will ever see Duke Nukem again. They've screwed up too many times. That chapter is permanently closed.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 May 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

No, I do not believe 3DR will ever see Duke Nukem again. They've screwed up too many times. That chapter is permanently closed.

+100

To be fair, it's not the same 3D Realms. George Broussard is gone and based on what I've read over the years about DNF's troubled development, he was the problem.

Speaking of which, what did happen to George? I know he's not part of new 3DR, but I've never read anything that talked about exactly what happened.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 24 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Both incarnations have made their mistakes with Duke in particular.

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postdeuxsonic, on 24 May 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

George Broussard is gone and based on what I've read over the years about DNF's troubled development, he was the problem.

That will still be one of the most hotly debated and contested subjects in Duke fandom for many years to come.

... But yeah, it was basically him who blew it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 May 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Both incarnations have made their mistakes with Duke in particular.

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 24 May 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

That will still be one of the most hotly debated and contested subjects in Duke fandom for many years to come.

... But yeah, it was basically him who blew it.

The mistakes by the new 3D Realms pale in comparison to burning untold millions remaking a game 600 times until you literally have emptied the ocean. Okay so they had a mock-up using Quake while they waited for Quake II code. They get the Quake II code and build some stuff and then decide to license another engine. Everything is scrapped as they switch to the Unreal engine. Then you look at the screenshots and videos over the years and you'd swear you were looking at completely different games. You look at the 2002-2005 stuff and it has almost a DOOM 3 quality to it, like someone saw DOOM 3 and said "I want that." Development of it was badly managed, and from the sound of it, a lot of the problem was either not having a plan to stick to or deviating from it and just adding things in. Everyone's heard the joke about not letting George see X because he'll want those features in the game. I suspect that the only reason DNF ever eventually got to where it did was because the money was starting to dwindle and he may have been thinking "okay maybe we should try to finish it this time."

If only Broussard saved new ideas for Duke 5, Duke 6, etc instead of attempting to throw everything into one game. That said, we were going to get today's DNF in some form or another had he released an earlier version of the game. We would have seen Duke with two gun limits, health regen eventually even if the 2001 version was released without it methinks.

I think that's the trap of trying to outdo everyone else, George's idea that DNF was going to be better than every game in every way conceivable -- more interactive, better graphics, more impressive in every way. By the time you get the stuff in the game, there's something better available. You have to already have an idea of what you're going to do. If you want to be groundbreaking, you can't be going "me too" to everything that comes along.

I should add that the plan should be something realistic with a clear endpoint so you know when you're there.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 25 May 2016 - 01:29 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options