Duke4.net Forums: Why polymer doesn't have "filter"? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why polymer doesn't have "filter"?

User is offline   pacman 

I like to use filter, because I can't stand the pixelated look anymore, it gives me an headache to be honest. I would like to use polymer in the future, when I buy a new computer that can give me at least 100 fps on average (I will buy the GTX 1080 when it's cheaper), but I dont get why polymer can't use the filter? Im too used to the smooth textures of polymost with filter on and anisotropy at x16.

Also will eduke take advantage of Vulkan API? the new Doom has a huge fps boost when using it.

View Postpacman, on 18 May 2016 - 05:02 AM, said:

I like to use filter, because I can't stand the pixelated look anymore, it gives me an headache to be honest. I would like to use polymer in the future, when I buy a new computer that can give me at least 100 fps on average (I will buy the GTX 1080 when it's cheaper), but I dont get why polymer can't use the filter? Im too used to the smooth textures of polymost with filter on and anisotropy at x16.

Also will eduke take advantage of Vulkan API? the new Doom has a huge fps boost when using it.

PolymerNG will have texture filtering, I can't remember if regular Polymer had it or not(I thought it did). I have no plans on using Vulkan or Direct3D 12 in PolymerNG, that doesn't mean PolymerNG won't reach the graphical quality of Doom(because it will), I have chosen not to abandon the majority of the user base to get 2-5% more performance.

Vulkan and Direct3D 12 allow developers to cut out the driver overhead by creating and managing the GPU command buffers manually. The performance gains from managing the command buffers yourself is based on many factors, most of which is how the rendering pipeline in your engine works. In PolymerNG I don't forsee managing the command buffers as a huge enough win to alienate most of the players on here.

Just because you see a game is using Direct3D 12 doesn't mean it will automatically be prettier or faster then a Direct3D 11 game. Similarly the same goes true for DIrect3D 11 vs Vulkan. Stop falling into the marketing hype :). New API's don't automatically mean better anything. It's all about how the render pipeline is developed.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

To get filtering on the 8-bit art in Polymer, you'll have to disable the artmapping shader by typing "r_pr_artmapping 0" into the console. This will reduce the fidelity of the game's shading and atmosphere compared to the classic renderer.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options