Duke4.net Forums: Best city maps? (that aren't Roch series) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best city maps? (that aren't Roch series)  "best city maps ever"

User is offline   pacman 

What are the highest quality city maps ever made? I know everyone loves roch series, so not including those.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php

This is where I always look for good maps. Click the score header a couple times so it's descending and then click theme and scroll down to where City starts.

User is offline   Lunick 

Some random assortments from my blog:

New York Plaza
Posted Image

Mincer City
Posted Image

Anorak City
Posted Image

Happy Hangover
Posted Image

Buenos Aires Explosive Remake
Posted Image

WGCity
Posted Image

Dogville
Posted Image

AlphaCity
Posted Image

Freedom (this one is more of a Villa but I like it anyway)
Posted Image

Siebenpolis
Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Thanks for mentioning my map :)

User is offline   Hank 

Warz, is one good map also, IMHO Posted Image
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotwarz.php

The first level of BDP The Gate is a city map and quite a good one, although the red keycard is a bit hard to find when you don't know about it ^^

I remember first time I played it it took me almost 50 minutes to beat (and yet I didn't wander arround that much) ...

User is offline   pacman 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 17 May 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php

This is where I always look for good maps. Click the score header a couple times so it's descending and then click theme and scroll down to where City starts.

Some of the map don't work. Anyone has this one? looks good

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotfbsp003.php

User is offline   Hank 

View Postpacman, on 18 May 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Some of the map don't work. Anyone has this one? looks good

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotfbsp003.php

That map is also on Come Get Some website, plus many others city type maps.
http://www.scent-88....fbsp3/fbsp3.php

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Mean Streets is one of my favs.

I tend to prefer city maps that are on the smaller side, 3DR style, though huge ones are great too.

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotentrapped.php

I played through this one recently. It's pretty long and detailed and looks great. Let me know how it runs on your computer, in particular when you are facing the direction of the Duke Burger. The map seems to really stress the engine.

Also...

Posted Image

Does anyone know what map this is? I saw this thumbnail but I can't figure out where it's from.

User is offline   pacman 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 18 May 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

I played through this one recently. It's pretty long and detailed and looks great. Let me know how it runs on your computer, in particular when you are facing the direction of the Duke Burger. The map seems to really stress the engine.

Also...

Posted Image

Does anyone know what map this is? I saw this thumbnail but I can't figure out where it's from.

Sounds good but it says Polymost cannot be used because of some TROR thing so it will show glitches? So I would be stuck with Classic which also has shit frame rate by default, so in such a map it will be even worse. How come Polymost doesn't support TROR? It should be more advanced than Classic?

This post has been edited by pacman: 19 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

Can always try it and see what happens.

User is offline   pacman 

I just finished Dogville 2012 and it was the biggest map i've ever played and the quality was great, good design.

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 18 May 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Also...

Posted Image

Thanks for the mention. I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and XP. Unfortunately Entrapped is not really playable on anything newer than Vista. It runs well and is playable in XP however that's not what's really in use today. Previously, I had to map using XP because of a glitch that was present in Mapster but I think Plagman has actually fixed the bug as I haven't experienced the same issue for quite some time. Anyway, maybe this PolymerNG will handle the FPS better but until then we will just have to wait and see. =)

View PostPaul B, on 20 May 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the mention. I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and XP. Unfortunately Entrapped is not really playable on anything newer than Vista. It runs well and is playable in XP however that's not what's really in use today. Previously, I had to map using XP because of a glitch that was present in Mapster but I think Plagman has actually fixed the bug as I haven't experienced the same issue for quite some time. Anyway, maybe this PolymerNG will handle the FPS better but until then we will just have to wait and see. =)

I would like to see the problems in Polymer like the constant missing surfaces, z-fighting, misaligned animations, wall-aligned sprites that will not animate, colored lines on the edges of sprites, and oddly colored "sheets" that flash into existence for brief instances fixed before moving to yet another rendering engine where you'd have a third set of visual anomalies to contend with.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 20 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Hmm, I answered you in the other thread, though if I have to pick one city map, it would be Traffic Jam. If episodes count, my pick would be either Alien Detraining from LRWB or Vegas Holocaust from DNF2013 mod.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Back Alley by Coldwood
and I don't care about the "too short" opinion.

http://www.scent-88....lley/balley.php

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostForge, on 23 May 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

Back Alley by Coldwood
and I don't care about the "too short" opinion.

http://www.scent-88....lley/balley.php

Coldwood is the most professional non-professional mapper I've seen for any Build game. His maps could fit in the middle of an episode of a classic Build game.

It's everything I wish my maps were and I still believe Insurance Overload is the best usermap ever made for DN3D.

Interceptor should have hired him for the Bombshell prequel.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 May 2016 - 12:16 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMetHy, on 24 May 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

It's everything I wish my maps were and I still believe Insurance Overload is the best usermap ever made for DN3D.

Whoa, the download for this map includes all the W.I.P versions of the map, that's pretty neat!

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMetHy, on 24 May 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

Coldwood is the most professional non-professional mapper I've seen for any Build game. His maps could fit in the middle of an episode of a classic Build game.

Interceptor should have hired him for the Bombshell prequel.

Could you get hired and become a pro mapper if you have a good portfolio of Duke maps only? I've sometimes wondered this. I think it's unfair that a lot of great talent that only do Duke maps, would probably not get hired because the game is too old. For example I would love to make a living off making maps for games, but honestly I can't be arsed to learn a new engine unless I was getting paid to do so, since I would not enjoy it as much as I enjoy build (and it's not like as an adult you have the same time you had in the past to learn an editor from scratch).

This post has been edited by pacman: 24 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postpacman, on 24 May 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Could you get hired and become a pro mapper if you have a good portfolio of Duke maps only? I've sometimes wondered this. I think it's unfair that a lot of great talent that only do Duke maps, would probably not get hired because the game is too old. For example I would love to make a living off making maps for games, but honestly I can't be arsed to learn a new engine unless I was getting paid to do so, since I would not enjoy it as much as I enjoy build (and it's not like as an adult you have the same time you had in the past to learn an editor from scratch).

I know hey, would be a pretty sweet job especially if you could team up with a couple people and edit a map file like a Google Doc. Simultaneously editing the same map file over the interwebs. Talk about productivity! Anyway, I've already awarded myself the platinum badge for almost mastering the engine. If only I could build that 3 tier SOS elevator that Semicharm created from scrath that would put me over the top to a Diamond badge. lol

I was thinking of building a bunch of prefab sectors and objects and charging per object and sector for people to use. You're not paying for the map file you're paying for the ingenuity and not having to waste time building it. Just copy and paste with no hard feelings. lol

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postpacman, on 24 May 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Could you get hired and become a pro mapper if you have a good portfolio of Duke maps only?

I think most companies these days are looking for people that can use Unity or Unreal Engine effectively but back in the 90's, it was very possible to get jobs from making custom content in games.

Robert Travis worked on Sunstorm's addons, Charlie Wiederhold (who also worked on Sunstorm addons) is now working at Certain Affinity, Aaron Barber did some Quake and Duke maps and ended up with Valve, Leon Zawada ended up working with Interceptor, Samuel "Kaiser" Villarreal works with Night Dive. There are even people from here working on the Bombshell Prequel if that counts.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Didn't C3PO (I don't know his real name) also get a job in the gaming industry?

User is offline   Lunick 

He was the lead level designer for the Starship Troopers TC so I'm sure he would have gotten a lot of attention for that. His website is here and looks like he worked on Bionic Commando, some Ghost Recon game and has had maps noticed by Valve. Found an interview too, that might have some information for you pacman.

I have probably missed tons of people that have landed jobs :)

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

GRAW2, nice.

Wait, why didn't I get to work on a Tom Clancy game.

User is offline   pacman 

I would hire the guy that did the Roch map series even if he only worked for Duke 3D, then again, I guess you have 0 chances to get a job nowadays if you only have maps for 90's games.. maybe on my next lifetime, it's too late now and I don't have the motivation to learn the new engines, it would take me years to build up a modern portfolio of high level maps to be competitive, it's just not possible.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostLunick, on 24 May 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Not Duke3D related but Adam Foster, the creator of Someplace Else for Half-Life and the critically acclaimed mod MINERVA for Half-Life 2, was hired by Valve and worked on Half-Life 2: Episode Three (and Portal 2 apparently). I remember playing MINERVA back in the days, incredibly talented guy.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLunick, on 24 May 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yeah there are a few more, I remember I talked about this in a thread once (might not even be on this forum) and I had at least 3 other names, but I can't remember any of it except Enric Alvarez who made the Lem map series.

Now though, most of these guys probably built stuff for games other than DN3D too, so it's hard to claim that their DN3D maps, alone, got them a job. Except for Robert Travis and Wieder of course, but even in Wieder's case, but it was a long time ago and soon afterwards Wieder had to switch engine to continue having a job.

Nowadays it's hopeless though, unless of course your Build maps are part of a whole portfolio with also stuff for current engines.

Bombshell prequel was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Even if some other dev decides to make a true retro FPS game, there is very little chance they're going to dig level designers out of communities.
Besides, it's not like most user maps could pass up as pro maps. What I mean is, usermaps are great, but in 99% cases they're something else entirely. There is a style that is common to every Build game, and every Doom engine game and more, that is absent from usermaps. I honestly don't know if any of the DN3D usermappers considered to be the bests can pull off a map with a design and gameplay that could fit right into a professional game, because it looks miles away from their respective styles.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

If you like vanilla duke city maps, these are tops: (I don't have links though, it seems the repository is out of business :) )
These maps have all of the formulas of the originals, large areas with many routes, plus good length. Well designed and a real challenge on "Damn I'm Good". Best of the best.

Doom City
Nuke City
Escape from an Unknown Street (originally an MP map, made into great SP)
City of Screams
Overkill (a mix of city/industrial)
Ethanol
Metro Mayhem maps 1,2,7,8,9 and 12. (This was an extra high quality episode made by many on these forums.)
Hostel

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 30 May 2016 - 04:57 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 29 May 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

If you like vanilla duke city maps, these are tops: (I don't have links though, it seems the repository is out of business :) )

Err, there is a backup here http://dnr.duke4.net/

View PostBlue Lightning, on 29 May 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

These maps have all of the formulas of the originals, large areas with many routes, plus good length. Best of the best.

Doom City
Nuke City
Escape from an Unknown Street (originally a MP map, made into great SP)
City of Screams
Overkill (a mix of city/industrial)
Ethanol
Metro Mayhem maps 1,2,7,8,9 and 12.
Hostel

Added links to your post, couldn't seem to find Ethanol Fever, I guess the backup is older than it.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options