Duke4.net Forums: Starship Troopers 2 Alpha Re-release - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starship Troopers 2 Alpha Re-release  "Thread for the upcoming re-release"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

(note that I thought this should be its own topic instead of just hijacking this other one)
Starship Troopers 2

Background:
A few years back Moloch (the creator of SST TC) began talking with me about a possible sequel to Starship Troopers TC. We brainstormed some possible scenarios, and talked about how he would want things to function differently than in the original. He wanted the AI to have more independence from the player, including being able to use waypoints to create scripted sequences, and allow groups of AI to attack each other without player direction. This would be used to create larger and more epic battles than were possible in the original.

So after a few weeks I managed to put together a "Proof of Concept" alpha where Arachnids and Marines attacked each other independently. It worked acceptably and Moloch was convinced more could be done. In the meantime I began expanding on the alpha beyond just a proof of concept, adding an extra enemy (a kamikaze Hopper) and a few additional effects. While this was being done Moloch found he didn't have enough time to do all of the asset work that would be required for the sequel, and the project was subsequently canceled.

So what's the deal with this re-release?:
Well, I've decided to re-release the Alpha with the additions that I had been working on before development stopped. I'm also recoding the AI and adding a few additional things that weren't in the original release, as well as making the project compatible with EDuke32.

I've already recoded the Marine AI, and am currently working on the Arachnids. When finished I'll re-release everything that was in the original, plus the test maps for the new enemy.

I should hopefully be finished in the next 2-3 weeks. In the meantime I'll post my progress and get suggestions from folks.

I'm at work, so screenshots are forthcoming.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Please make this work with the old maps from SST, and include the episodes from SST. (I know there was at least one small episode made for SST after its released, by Salicious Crumb: http://amc.planetduk...hp?topic=2393.0 ).

• Evil Overlord

It won't work that way. It uses a completely different set of code, completely different actors, and different tile sets. Maps could be made to work with IT though... if that makes sense.

• Evil Overlord

Ninja dual post!

I figured I should talk about the current features a bit.

Marines currently are banded into 4 possible squads, Grey (the player's squad), Green, Blue, and Red. Squad leaders are assigned by giving one of the units in that squad a hitag of 1 (in the player's case it's automatic).

Currently there's a button to pause and resume AI. While AI is paused you can spawn Marines or Arachnids. Any Marines spawned will be assigned to Grey squad. There's a button to toggle spawning. (This is mostly for testing)

You can spawn a single waypoint for each squad leader. Spawning a new one will delete the old one. There's also a button to delete all waypoints (which will cause squad leaders to come to a halt). Doing this you can organize attacks and also pull troops back.

Spawning anything (waypoints or units) is as simple as aiming and pressing fire.

I like your style. I used to play the Starship Troopers TC a lot many years ago. Still considered one of the best TC's ever made. (IMO)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMblackwell, on May 12 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

It won't work that way. It uses a completely different set of code, completely different actors, and different tile sets. Maps could be made to work with IT though... if that makes sense.

I understand now. I was confused because you are calling it "Starship Troopers 2" which makes it sound like a continuation of the singleplayer story (it may have been conceived that way originally, but that's not what it is now). Maybe you should have called it "Starship Troopers: Battle Simulator" or something along those lines.

• Evil Overlord

Oh it was intended to be a sequel (even if not direct) when it was conceived and the code was written. Hence the Alpha and PoC bits. ;)

Now I'm attempting to sort of finish what I started for the alpha and from there people can play with it as they see fit. I actually have a level idea worked out from when this was first being discussed, and at some point I may either make it and release it or enlist the help of someone willing to map it out.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

If you want my AI and A* pathfinding code, say the word (even if I am going to be rewriting it to use the new Array functions soon).

This post has been edited by msleeper: 12 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

• Evil Overlord

I basically finished the Arachnids last night, although I might do a tweak or two later on (maybe not until after release, we'll see). I'm still doing more testing before I move on to the hoppers I mentioned earlier.

As for path finding code, I don't need it now but I might when people start to make real levels for this (if they do) I probably will. When this is released you might as well take a crack at merging the code in. I tried to keep most things confined to easy-to-modify states so it shouldn't be terribly hard.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Might be best to wait until my rewrite is done. I'm hoping to make it totally self contained, so that people can drop it into existing code/mods/TCs. In theory, you'll only need to edit the existing AI to get rid of stuff like "findplayer" with "state getastarpath" and such.

• Evil Overlord

I promised screenshots so here's a whole big batch:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Juts one question : is this only a multiplayer mod or do you plan to add bot support too ?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

^He is writing AI code...I think that is self explanatory there. Bot support is built in.
Also, he said this was a Proof of Concept/Alpha...not an actual mod.

I can't remember playing SST1 (link maybe). This sounds interesting though.

Also, SST2 the movie had nothing to do with SST1 so there is no foul in making a mod not related :P

User is offline   supergoofy 

@Mblackwell,

It would be nice if you add the episodes and the maps from Starship Troopers 1 (full version) and some maps that are released by others.

I have a big map pack that includes all or almost all custom maps and I can send it to you in one download. If you want it please p.m. me.

It would be awesome if you include many of these maps. I hope you will.

Many thanks for reviving this mod.

• Evil Overlord

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on May 14 2009, 08:08 AM, said:

Juts one question : is this only a multiplayer mod or do you plan to add bot support too ?

It's not multiplayer at all, in fact. It's entirely single player. Every other marine but yourself, including squad leaders, is an AI bot.

None of the other marines in those shots are actual people, they are all AI.

View Postsupergoofy, on May 14 2009, 08:55 AM, said:

@Mblackwell,

It would be nice if you add the episodes and the maps from Starship Troopers 1 (full version) and some maps that are released by others.

I have a big map pack that includes all or almost all custom maps and I can send it to you in one download. If you want it please p.m. me.

It would be awesome if you include many of these maps. I hope you will.

Many thanks for reviving this mod.

As I explained earlier, it won't work with SST1 maps. The art tiles are completely different, and in fact I've included almost none of the art from SST because it was just a simple Proof of Concept at its inception. It also doesn't include most of the sounds, and doesn't include any of the effects except the ones specifically programmed for this mod. It also would add absolutely nothing to previously designed maps as they are designed for single player, single marine play. This was absolutely not designed to work directly with the original SST TC in any way. Moloch and I were basically starting from scratch.

However, new maps could be designed with this as the basis. You would have to pull needed textures from Starship Troopers, though.

Also, you're welcome.

• Evil Overlord

Didn't have time to get things done over the weekend (ended up working out some details on other projects). Hopefully will have time this coming one. Still trying to stick to my 2-3 week promise.

User is offline   Hellbound 

I see that you like to play with 'Rejected Applications', don't you? :P

• Evil Overlord

I'm a jerk since I've left this sit for so long. Just updating to say I finished the hopper code as much as it's going to be finished for this release (it bursts out of the sand and does a kamikaze attack) and am pretty much ready to go. I just have to prune files. I should probably add the special keys to the Config as well. Hopefully no one's disappointed with just some test maps. Everything functions much better than in the initial release of the alpha. I even have squad teams working properly. The only things I haven't done are allow you to move your own troop squad (they just follow you) and to assign spawned troops to a colored squad (they are just added to your squad). Also sounds are lacking, though I have some I haven't really bothered to implement them. I may throw a few in before release.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 30 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   t800 

I have older version of this mod which I downloaded from some old website 2 years ago. There is only one marine team, only one kind of enemy (classic arachnid) and you cant play it directly. You are only spectator. So you can do only few things: spawn team mate or enemy, start and pause A.I. It has few testing map.

If you are intersted I can upload it if Mblackwell doesnt mind.

• Evil Overlord

Feel free.

User is offline   t800 

OK, so here is it.
It is packed without EDuke32 and DUKE3D.GRP, so you need to add them. I recommend remaping some keys. You need keys for 3 functions - spawning unit (original key for Fire) , enabling/disabling A.I. (original key for Turnaround) and for changing type of spawned unit (original key for Steroids). 3 testing maps are attached (BIGLAND.MAP, BIGLAND2.MAP, BIGLAND3.MAP), but you can test this mod in any map.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by t800: 01 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

User is offline   t800 

I am very suprised by fact that nobody is interested in my finding. Is the version I have found well known so everybody have tried it?

User is offline   Spiker 

View Postt800, on Jul 1 2010, 10:55 PM, said:

I am very suprised by fact that nobody is interested in my finding. Is the version I have found well known so everybody have tried it?

Mblackwell unjustifiably edited this post.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 01 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

• Evil Overlord

View Postt800, on Jul 1 2010, 04:55 PM, said:

Not sure many people have tried it, but most people are probably just waiting for the rerelease if anything. I think there was a readme included in the files, you should probably add it to your post.

User is offline   Spiker 

I don't see in which part I was being a dick, maybe you can tell me? Because I said that most guys here are developers? because I mentioned the low activity of the community? because I mentioned that not everyone may be interested in this theme and it's already well known. These are just facts. To cut it off and never return to it I only answered his question and it's not me who is being a dick.

• Evil Overlord

How you say things is as important as what you say. Sucks doesn't it? Now no one gets to see you be unnecessarily hostile.

If you want to continue to talk about anything relevant to the topic, in a congenial way, feel free. Otherwise take it to PMs.

BTW, facts and speculation aren't the same thing.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 02 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

User is online   Sangman 

I dunno Mblackwell, I have nothing against you and all but you're coming off pretty hostile here yourself.. :)

• Evil Overlord

I have no anger really. If you want to talk about it, take it to pms. This isn't what this thread is about, so it's more appropriate.

• Evil Overlord

I found a few strange bugs (no pun intended) that I'm not sure why they didn't surface before. Fixed most of them but have to do a bit more testing. I've also been doing some balance tweaking to make it less oppressive to survive the test scenarios. Not much more work left.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options