Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Holocaust and TROR problem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Holocaust and TROR problem

User is offline   Mark 

For fun I was messing around in Mapster with the Hollywood Holocaust map. In a number of different places I attempted to add a TROR area. The problem is that I can do the first step and get either the above or below extended sector "carved" in but I can't add to the extended sector. Also when pressing CONTROL + A it doesn't grey out the rest of the map which shows I am in the extended sector.

Could this possibly be a problem because the map was not originally created in version 1.5 Atomic? I have used TROR a lot in other maps with no problem like this. I tried a newer and older version of Mapster and both give the same result.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 15 May 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

Could this possibly be a problem because the map was not originally created in version 1.5 Atomic? I have used TROR a lot in other maps with no problem like this.

I don't see how that could possibly matter, but you could try copy/pasting the entire contents of E1L1 into a new map and see what happens.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMark., on 15 May 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

For fun I was messing around in Mapster with the Hollywood Holocaust map. In a number of different places I attempted to add a TROR area. The problem is that I can do the first step and get either the above or below extended sector "carved" in but I can't add to the extended sector. Also when pressing CONTROL + A it doesn't grey out the rest of the map which shows I am in the extended sector.

Could this possibly be a problem because the map was not originally created in version 1.5 Atomic? I have used TROR a lot in other maps with no problem like this. I tried a newer and older version of Mapster and both give the same result.

To change the focus of what is visible when working in different layers. Hold left CTRL + R. While holding these two keys you use the pg/up & pg/down keys to adjust your height so you can select the layer you want to work with. This works best when CTRL + A has been previously enabled to enable automatic grey out of plain sectors.

Once TROR is enabled in a map that map automatically gets converted and saved into the new map format. It doesn't matter how the map was created initially, all maps start in the same classic format even new maps in the latest Mapster.

My Mapster editor of choice is revision: 4249. That was just before things started getting funky.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm using 5395 because anything after that starts to screw up normal, spec and glow maps for custom content. I've never had to use the method you describe before. I would just use my a and z keys in 3D mode to put the player height into the new TROR sector, go back to 2D then hit CTRL + A to grey out sectors. That doesn't work in this map. I'll try your way shortly and see what happens...

...Nope. The new TROR sector does not grey out when the cursor in moved up the using your method. Which means I cannot extend its walls. Again, this is the only map I have had this issue with. To make things even stranger, I tried using it in a new isolated area I created and it still doesn't work. I tried an almost latest version of Mapster and it still wouldn't work. So there is either a rare condition with this map that prevents TROR from working or I somehow corrupted the map with my previous work. I'm going to try again on a virgin version of HH.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I got TROR in HH, with auto grey working using the latest revision of mapster (when you first posted)

Maybe it's something else you did before trying this. I started with a clean copy of the map, extended the vent up and played around connecting the dots with the start point on the roof, which didn't want to work...

User is offline   Mark 

It seems to work out on the streets and sidewalks, floors inside the cinema and a couple more places. But it looks like anything in an area created with SOS or ROR or whatever you want to call it is where it doesn't work. Those were the places I wanted to use it.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMark., on 24 May 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

It seems to work out on the streets and sidewalks, floors inside the cinema and a couple more places. But it looks like anything in an area created with SOS or ROR or whatever you want to call it is where it doesn't work. Those were the places I wanted to use it.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you are trying to do? If two sectors share similar Z Axis (vertical height) then they won't grey out independently. There has to be a difference in height before the grey out will work as intended. Also, if an extended sector is too tiny, meaning there isn't a large enough space between the floor and the ceiling height it may fail to recognize this space as a different area and not grey out. When working with smaller sectors I would typically build the sector the way I need it with a high ceiling and floor and when finished lower the ceiling to the desired height. If you can send me the map in a PM and give me the coordinates where you are working in I can take a look at it. There hasn't been anything I haven't been able to do with the TROR feature. If SOS is getting in the way sometimes temporarily dragging a corner of the sector you are working in outside of the over lapping sector to do your work might be required. Once finished in that sector reposition the corner back to its intended location. Typically these problems are a result of the floor and ceiling heights being too similar to one another or nearby sectors and therefore they don't grey out as expected.

I think this last thought will help you the most and it is something else i forgot to mention. In the sector that is not greying out, Raise the ceiling super high or the floor super low so you can work in that sector with the grey out feature enabled. Once you've edited the sector as you see fit then adjust the floor back to its original state. Being able to adjust the Z-Axis with CTRL + R is key to adjusting the focus for the Automatic Grey out feature. So don't be afraid to toggle through those settings while attempting to select the area you need to work on.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Yes, give more details. You didn't add that ''minor'' tid-bit about it being a SOS area until today.

What sectors are you trying to work on? Which have you already extended?

User is offline   Mark 

As I mentioned in the previous post TROR works fine in streets, sidewalks, cinema floor and others. IIRC places it didn't work were rooftop start area, Arcade room, and others. I can create the punched out sector and with plenty of room, raise or lower the cursor into it as I have done many times. But back in 2D mode the other map sectors do not grey out so that I can work with the new punched sector.

So I guess if you want a test map just put a TROR sector in the floor of the rooftop start of HH and try to extend it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMark., on 24 May 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

As I mentioned in the previous post TROR works fine in streets, sidewalks, cinema floor and others. IIRC places it didn't work were rooftop start area, Arcade room, and others. I can create the punched out sector and with plenty of room, raise or lower the cursor into it as I have done many times. But back in 2D mode the other map sectors do not grey out so that I can work with the new punched sector.

So I guess if you want a test map just put a TROR sector in the floor of the rooftop start of HH and try to extend it.

Okay here is the problem doing what you are trying to accomplish. While you think the roof top in E1L1 is actually higher then the street it is actually a lot lower. Therefore you can't successfully punch the extended TROR sector that way. In my opinion it is a really bad idea trying to add TROR to the existing original maps when they weren't really build with that dimension in mind and you''ll be sinking a lot of time rebuilding a lot of areas just to produce the effect you are looking for.

Anyway, should you proceed with this you need to take the entire First starting area of E1L1 on the roof top and raise the floor and ceilings up thousands of coordinates so that it is actually above the street. Then you can punch down and connect the vents.

What would make this easier is if someone has written a M32. script to take selected sectors and raise the z-axis of those sectors without affecting the scale. It would have to also adjust the sprites Z coordinates as well within those selected sectors.

Actually I think there is a script that does this already and i've used it. Let me see if I can find it.

Okay here is your solution: Your Script can be downloaded here:

https://forums.duke4...tors-splosions/

That will take an entire sector and match it to that of another sector so it will keep the size and stuff. You'll need to join that roof top to a new sector that you create that already is set at the correct height. There are a few console commands you need to type before you run the script. Its been a while since I used them but it should be in the read me.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Well that certainly explains that problem. I'm going to assume what Drek said about cursor z issues is why I can't do TROR in the ROR areas of the map. For the rooftop issue I wrongly assumed that overall floor height made no difference because TROR would only be dealing with the rooftop and nothing else in the map would matter. Especially because the rooftop is in its own isolated white walled area.

I actually gave up trying to use TROR in the problem areas weeks ago and worked around it with compromises. I made the posts more out of curiousity since I had never run into this issue before. You have set my mind to rest. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I used that script in M32 in Decay when I needed to change the height of a group of sectors and sprites.

User is offline   Paul B 

Well aside from some serious corruption issues with E1L1 i managed to do what you wanted. Of course its lacking some polish but i had a hell of a time connecting those two areas. Not a fault of Mapster but a fault with the original map. Looks like this map suffered from random Build crap during the creation of this map. I'm surprised the 3D Realms mappers were actually able to use this editor the way it was back in the day. It must have been really frustrating for them. Mapster has totally come a very long way compared to the build days. So soon we all forget.

Anyway the problem now was when I adjusted the height of the roof top I made it as high as the actual top of the streets area now Duke falls to his death. You're gonna wish for those teleport sector effectors they make the fall so much less painful. LOL!!!

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options